Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

External Top Oiler Experiment 23 Oct 2007 12:48 #177834

• tuxedotito
  • tuxedotito's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
1. "Where did you get the fittings originally for the trial fitting?"
I ordered them online from Discount Hydraulic Hose. The bulkhead part# is 2700LN-04-04. They are available from many different vendors that sell JIC 37 degree hydraulic fittings which equates with "AN" fittings. Summit and Jegs sell them also in nickel plated steel if I remember.

2. "I don't understand the deal with the bulkhead fittings."
The long end of the bulkhead screws into the drilled and tapped(7/16x20) cam galley bores. The long end will protrude inward beyond the internal oil passage coming up from the cylinder studs. The entire bulkhead fitting is intact. Using a tube of thread sealant will prevent any back-flow or leaking and will lock the bulkhead in place.

3. "Did you mount the fittings and then measure fitting to fitting..."
Exactly so!! I added a few millimeters for slack as inserting the fitting swells up the ends of the hose. I had to do one over that I cut too short:pinch:. I went with the push-lok nitrile hose for ease of assembly; braided steel hose can be a real pain to trim and assemble, particularly in small lengths. Jegs sells their own brand of push-on hose and fittings. Earl's makes "Super Stock" hose for push-on fittings, and some others are available as well. I used the Summit hose for no particular reason. Any of the others would work as well.

4. "Is there any particular reason you didn't just go off the oil gallery points at the base of the cylinder(on the top of the block)?"
I have a VDO 14x1.5mm electric oil temp sensor mounted in place of the main galley plug(you can see it in the last picture posted). You could certainly use the main plug for positive oil pressure if desired. Summit and Jegs and others have AN to Metric adapters; or you could just drill and tap the plug itself. 14x1.5mm is absolutely the correct thread for the "J" engine galley plug.
A simpler answer would be that it is done the way I saw it in my head!!:whistle:
1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

External Top Oiler Experiment 23 Oct 2007 13:25 #177839

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
The picture you have posted shows two nuts as part of the fitting. Is this fitting used somewhere else? This is where you are losing me. Neither end looks that long.Your mounted picture shows one nut against the head. Did you grind off one of the nut head shapes? I can imagine what a bulk head fitting should look like but it isn't like that one or now that I look at it, is there a nut threaded onto the right end of it? Yea...I'm stupid and slow at times...
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

External Top Oiler Experiment 23 Oct 2007 13:46 #177843

• tuxedotito
  • User
Looking at the picture...the nut on the right side is removable and is used when attaching the bulkhead to sheet metal etc.
The "nut" on the left is part of the actual fitting and is used to place a wrench when tightening. The right hand 'long' side is more than twice as long as the left side.

Spin off the loose nut on the right and you have just the bare fitting with one long side and one short side with the cast-in "nut" in between, all one piece.
The "nut" portion was machined round for looks and screwed in by using another female end of a separate fitting. This is mentioned somewhere in the earlier portion of the posting-thread.
Hope this helps!
1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 23 Oct 2007 13:47 #177844

• tuxedotito
  • User
The picture is a stock photo from the vendor website.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

External Top Oiler Experiment 24 Oct 2007 14:41 #177938

• Bad Kaw
  • User
  • Flying Squirell
  • Thank you received: 13
Thanks for the explination. Again, cool stuff!
-KR
78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

External Top Oiler Experiment 24 Oct 2007 14:53 #177942

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
Yea...thanks for the explanation. Appreciate it. Makes a LOT more sense now. Told ya I can be slow at times.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

External Top Oiler Experiment 24 Oct 2007 16:00 #177949

• tuxedotito
  • User
racer54 wrote:

Yea...thanks for the explanation. Appreciate it. Makes a LOT more sense now. Told ya I can be slow at times.

No worries!! I get confused all the time:huh:. Since I got the bug to start with modifying this and that I have more miles on the rollers of my toolboxes than the bike, and I can't seem to stop myself:whistle:

I picked up an older version(2.2) megasquirt that is still unassembled in the box waiting, and three sets of GPz throttle bodies(one set perfect and the others for parts) because they were too good to pass up; I couldn't not buy more parts!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

External Top Oiler Experiment 28 Oct 2007 17:42 #178558

• tuxedotito
  • User
Took a few more pics Saturday...

Oil temp sensor
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 28 Oct 2007 17:43 #178559

• tuxedotito
  • User
Sorry about that:sick:
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 28 Oct 2007 17:44 #178560

• tuxedotito
  • User
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 28 Oct 2007 17:46 #178562

• tuxedotito
  • User
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 28 Oct 2007 17:48 #178564

• tuxedotito
  • User
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments: