Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

External Top Oiler Experiment 20 Jun 2007 17:04 #151245

• tuxedotito
  • tuxedotito's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

External Top Oiler Experiment 20 Jun 2007 17:06 #151246

• tuxedotito
  • User
Forever aptart and then back again :P
1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 20 Jun 2007 17:08 #151247

• Faughn
  • User
  • Don't drink the Kool-aid!

Why?...well, because he can! Part of the appeal of motorcycles (and hotrods) is the exposed "mechanical bits".

Have to agree with Fossil...

It definitely has a trick look to it. Good work.:woohoo:

External Top Oiler Experiment 20 Jun 2007 17:09 #151248

• tuxedotito
  • User
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 20 Jun 2007 17:18 #151254

• tuxedotito
  • User
Older picture from earlier in the project. Oil cooler is mounted to a frame made of 1 1/2" Aluminum Angle. The frame retains two very stout 5" square, 12VDC, Server cooling fans.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 21 Jun 2007 05:22 #151402

• tuxedotito
  • User
One last pic for now. This is the steel, AN-4, Bulkhead Union I bought (x4) for the project. They are less than $2.00 each. Steel fittings are so inexpensive but the finish/colors vary and the nuts don't always match in look and profile. You can see that the one end is pretty long and when installed will go at least 1/2" inward past the oil feed hole. Once the threads are sealed, there are no worries about oil leaking back down into the stud bores; and the sealant also acts like Loctite.
No more leaking around the base of the cylinder block! In case some didn't realize, the front two corner cylinder block stud bores have no drainage back to the sump; that means a small column of oil is always just sitting in the hollow passages with only an o-ring to hold it in against gravity. Just my two cents worth.
Have a great day everyone!:cheer:
tuxedotito
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 21 Jun 2007 05:44 #151404

• fastestz1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
i have seen this modification done to many suzuki's,i think it looks mean/kool as hell but there has to be sum type of performance gain to this no?

External Top Oiler Experiment 21 Jun 2007 05:50 #151406

• Snakebyte
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
It already has me wondering what kind of godies you have in the engine:woohoo:
Again, What is this feeding? Is this feeding a cam retainer or soming else?
Can you post a pick with arrows showing were you drilled and how far? Also, A pic of the head with the cover off and arows showing were it is feeding?
I'm so interested in this and would like to do this to mine:blink: No I'm not a follower I just like the mechanics of an engine and this that this is some trick stuff.B)

External Top Oiler Experiment 21 Jun 2007 06:12 #151417

• tuxedotito
  • User
OK...one more. This is how it looked the weekend I brought it home. It has been one of the main things that keeps me sane and occupied.B)
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

External Top Oiler Experiment 21 Jun 2007 06:15 #151418

• tuxedotito
  • User
Damned file size got me again!!!!!!!!!!:pinch: :pinch:
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 21 Jun 2007 07:10 #151443

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Snakebyte wrote:

Again, What is this feeding? Is this feeding a cam retainer or soming else?

It´s for feeding the cams/topend - the big bikes have the oil for the topend come up around the outer cylinder studs. When you install heavy duty (=thicker) studs you reduce the size of the passage and risk oilstarving the topend, so you run external lines to avoid that.

This is not an issue on the 650/750s, they use a different layout with a separate oil galley between the two outer studs on each side.

Nice work, Tito, especially after seeing that before pic.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

External Top Oiler Experiment 21 Jun 2007 11:42 #151504

• tuxedotito
  • User

OnkleB wrote:
It´s for feeding the cams/topend - the big bikes have the oil for the topend come up around the outer cylinder studs. When you install heavy duty (=thicker) studs you reduce the size of the passage and risk oilstarving the topend, so you run external lines to avoid that.

Bingo!!! The oil rises up through the holes in the bottom camshaft bearing journals, then through the holes in the bottom clamshell bearing halves lubing the cam bearing surfaces etc. The oil then drains down onto other moving parts and pieces. Look at the bottoms of the lifter bores and you see another set of open passges allowing the oil to ultimately drain out of four holes opening into the camchain well and down into the sump. If you hold up a cylinder head in the light and look inside the middle where the camchain goes, you will see the four drains. Oil only has to be pumped into the head with no worries about return lines. Which I did not know myself until now!!!:side:

Ft. Lauderdale, FL