Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

External Top Oiler Experiment 23 Jun 2007 16:16 #152154

• Powder Keg
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I like what you are doing here. This will look great when you are done. I think its great to see how people customize their bikes.

Where did you get those air cleaners? Are they just for the 1000 or would they fit on a 650?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

External Top Oiler Experiment 23 Jun 2007 17:16 #152166

• Bad Kaw
  • User
  • Flying Squirell
  • Thank you received: 13
This ROCKS!!! Keep the pics coming and I love the mechanical detail explinations...b/c I'm a dork and need it! :blink:

Powder Keg: I think those filters belong on those carbs b/c (correct me if I'm wrong Tuxedotito) those are GSXR carbs.

Anyway Tux: DRIVE ON! :cheer:
78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

External Top Oiler Experiment 24 Jun 2007 00:31 #152251

• tuxedotito
  • tuxedotito's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Bad Kaw wrote:

This ROCKS!!! Keep the pics coming and I love the mechanical detail explinations...b/c I'm a dork and need it! :blink:

Powder Keg: I think those filters belong on those carbs b/c (correct me if I'm wrong Tuxedotito) those are GSXR carbs.

Anyway Tux: DRIVE ON! :cheer:

Bad Kaw is correct; those are K&N filters for GSXR carbs. The carbs WILL fit with the "J" model rubber intakes and they really do work well. The overall centerline spacing is off by maybe a half millimeter per intake but if you install the carbs firmly they will go in quite nicely.
They will be replaced eventually with Megasquirt. I already have '83GPz1100 throttle bodies and billet fuel rail with Ford 19# injectors, pressure reg., Walbro high pressure pump and various other bits and pieces. I am still waiting to get a look at "Microsquirt". I work as an electronic engineer and want to build my own, however, the footprint of a standard Megasquirt is pretty large for a motorcycle application.....who knows:whistle:
1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

External Top Oiler Experiment 24 Jun 2007 00:45 #152252

• tuxedotito
  • User
Why am I up @ 3:43 in the morning??
Here's another one Bad Kaw! Never mind the dust on the cylinder block, it is pristine when wiped down.

1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 24 Jun 2007 01:56 #152260

• tuxedotito
  • User
[/quote]
Bad Kaw is correct; those are K&N filters for GSXR carbs. The carbs WILL fit with the "J" model rubber intakes and they really do work well. The overall centerline spacing is off by maybe a half millimeter per intake but if you install the carbs firmly they will go in quite nicely.[/quote]

It would be irresponsible not to clarify my statements about my own GSXR carb swap.
I am fairly certain that the swap is limited to carbs from GSXR (air-oil) cooled models, years '86-'92.
Mine are '91 GSXR1100 and they work, not sure if 750cc models would work or not.
I would bet that someone in the "carburetor" forum has the actual dimensions etc.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

External Top Oiler Experiment 26 Jun 2007 18:08 #152960

• tuxedotito
  • User
Hello everyone,
Missed the garage (Uncle's) this weekend:angry:...so I went by after work today.
First to step back to the beggining; I took some pics of the 'sacrificial' head I used for the experiment. The pics are slightly fuzzy; you can see the oil supply hole in the oil galley coming up from below after drilling.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 26 Jun 2007 18:11 #152961

• tuxedotito
  • User
Another view of the drilled galley; it may look clearer?

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 26 Jun 2007 18:14 #152965

• tuxedotito
  • User
Srtaight down the bore. You can see the actual size of the factory bore...I would guess about 4mm or so.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 26 Jun 2007 18:21 #152968

• tuxedotito
  • User
I had to do a full scale mock-up to check various clearances and such. My Blue/Red hardware is still on it's way via Flea-bay shipping so all fittings are made up of the steel one's on hand.
First the steel straight AN-4 to 1/8"NPT goes into the oil bypass.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 26 Jun 2007 18:26 #152970

• tuxedotito
  • User
Next was to mount the bypass before installing the GSXR carbs.B)

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 26 Jun 2007 18:30 #152972

• tuxedotito
  • User
Next was to set-in the carbs.:)

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 26 Jun 2007 18:43 #152976

• tuxedotito
  • User
As a sidenote: I responded to a question earlier in the thread about GSXR carbs centerline spacing being about a half millimeter off per bore on the swap.
The #2 and #3 rubber, "J" model intake boots get pushed slightly inward towards the center of the head once fully seated. The clamps pull them in nicely once complete. Just some clarification. Any more should really be in the carb' forum :whistle: :whistle:
You can see the boots in the pictures squishing towards the middle in the pics.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments: