Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

External Top Oiler Experiment 26 Jun 2007 19:43 #152998

• tuxedotito
  • tuxedotito's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Closer:)
1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

External Top Oiler Experiment 26 Jun 2007 19:46 #152999

• tuxedotito
  • User
1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 28 Jun 2007 18:24 #153518

• Powder Keg
  • User
I like those fans on there. Are they temp controlled or do they just come on when you start the bike?

External Top Oiler Experiment 28 Jun 2007 20:33 #153544

• tuxedotito
  • User
Thanks!
Each unit has an extra controller input available if desired; being server fans they are designed to receive controller inputs. Currently they are just on-off together, using one mini toggle switch.
The whole fans idea was started on a whim one day using some stuff/parts/material from my mental inventory.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

External Top Oiler Experiment 04 Jul 2007 07:53 #154638

• Bad Kaw
  • User
  • Flying Squirell
  • Thank you received: 13
Tux,
I LOVE this! Keep the pics coming! So, to borrow a turbo-annalogy: the oil cooler fans are "draw thru" I take it? As a fellow HD-shop-frequenter B) if you spray WD40 on the motor when it's warm the HD paint will shine like new. The motor 'looks' spectacular...great paint work. Keep the details coming on the oil line fittings...if you don't mind, I'm taking notes. Not like you'll see the 'repeat performance'...I'm all the way in Kansas!

Anyway man, great stuff, keep it coming!
78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

External Top Oiler Experiment 04 Jul 2007 07:55 #154639

• Bad Kaw
  • User
  • Flying Squirell
  • Thank you received: 13
Oh, just a question of cosmetics: are you going to stay with the silver color on the cooling-fan bracket? If you're not, my opinion :ohmy: is that black would 'hide' it nicely.

Just a thought. Fantastic work!
78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

External Top Oiler Experiment 05 Jul 2007 06:15 #154836

• tuxedotito
  • User
Bad Kaw wrote:

Oh, just a question of cosmetics: are you going to stay with the silver color on the cooling-fan bracket? If you're not, my opinion :ohmy: is that black would 'hide' it nicely.

Just a thought. Fantastic work!

Thanks yet again:cheer: Yes...the fans are draw-through. It's funny you mention the fan frame color. Since I bought a blast cabinet I have been blasting anything that will fit inside, and I was thinking the fan mount should get the 'treatment';). I think you are right about going black with the mount. It currently is just as-welded. I would encourage you to, and would be flattered if you or anyone else were to come up with your own setup using something you picked up from me. The whole thing was/is truly an absolute experiment. Once you get the bulkheads in and sealed past the supply hole(s), you could come up with all different combinations of hardware. Positive oil pressure could be used from the main galley plug without drilling the cooler bypass; it happens that I am using VDO M14X1.5 oil temp sensor in the main galley. Also, a lathe is not absolutely required to round the bulkhead nut(s). A bench grinder, some thick gloves, and some time could get you close enough; especially if you used aluminum bulkheads.
I relieved the corners of the cylinder head fins with a 6" angle grinder with a brand new grinding disk(for a sharper edge), held up as straight and vertical as possible. It scoops out material to the radius of the disk and makes a nice flat surface at the end of the oil galleys.
Hell, I may go with 4 separate, nicely bent, stainless hardlines and tube nuts running to a fuel distribution block instead of the tee fitting...I just don't know. I have half of my Red/Blue fittings delivered so we'll see.
Thanks again for the kind words:cheer: I'll get some more pics up soon.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

External Top Oiler Experiment 23 Oct 2007 07:36 #177779

• tuxedotito
  • User
Been a while...haven't been able to get in the garage lately. Got the engine fully assembled minus the clutch-pack, and back in the frame. I got the top end oiler circuit all plumbed with Summit "Push Lok" hose and some "Earl's" fittings(-4AN). It came out pretty well I think. The swivel adapters for the oil cooler lines are back-ordered but should be here soon! :cheer: Will post some better pics this weekend.
Regards...
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

External Top Oiler Experiment 23 Oct 2007 07:40 #177781

• tuxedotito
  • User
One more try:pinch:

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 23 Oct 2007 10:38 #177813

• 79MKII
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
  • Thank you received: 43
The fittings look great! Nice work on everything. I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but are your cam plugs welded to the head? I never thought of that but you really wouldn't need those holes anyway. You shouldn't have to worry about leaks there!
The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

External Top Oiler Experiment 23 Oct 2007 11:41 #177822

• tuxedotito
  • User
ThanksB) . Yes the holes are welded closed. I have a very good friend that happens to be an aircraft machinist. He made up aluminum slugs from some round bar turned down to fit the dimensions and he Tig welded and machined them level with the deck for me,(and a 12-Pack :lol:). He has a full shop @ home about six miles from me!! I did the Dremeling afterwards to smooth them in.
I have a third cylinder head getting machined to accept bigger cams, oversize SS valves, and proper horizontal boring for the oiler modification(I drilled two of the holes slightly off of parallel :pinch: ). I think I will get some "Klasmo" billet cam plugs to have welded in for a little cleaner look.
I will post up more pics as I go along.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

External Top Oiler Experiment 23 Oct 2007 11:59 #177824

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
Interested in this myself but have a couple questions. Where did you get the fittings originally for the trial fitting? I prefer the steel look. Can you get them from Summit, Jegs, etc. Any chance of having part numbers for the fittings? I don't understand the deal with the bulkhead fittings. On the first page, you showed a double-ended fitting I understand were the bulkhead fittings you used for the head oil galleries. Did you cut those in half or am I misreading this? Did you buy the hoses pre-made, are they a standard length item, or did you make them? How did you determine the correct length? Did you mount the fittings and then measure fitting to fitting or estimate the length and make them up? Is there any particular reason you didn't just go off the oil gallery points at the base of the cylinder(on the top of the block)?
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110