Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

External Top Oiler Experiment 27 Dec 2007 13:31 #186583

• Bad Kaw
  • User
  • Flying Squirell
  • Thank you received: 13
Oh, cool man; that stubby little cannister does a pretty decent job of taming the volume, eh?!!!

-KR
78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

External Top Oiler Experiment 27 Dec 2007 15:46 #186606

• tuxedotito
  • tuxedotito's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Bad Kaw wrote:

Oh, cool man; that stubby little cannister does a pretty decent job of taming the volume, eh?!!!

-KR

Thanks again:) The 'cannister' is actually a "MONZA", 4" O.D., "Pencil Tip" car exhaust tip, 2.25" inlet for the MAC collector. The look of it and the dimensions seemed right to me. A friend cut off just the rear MAC muffler section, leaving in effect a natural 'midpipe'. My friend then welded the Monza tip in place. All of the critical measurments were/are close enough to use the stock rear hanger position.
The length of the muffler section is appx. 8" give or take, and it comes with glass-pack in it. My current setup is basically a straight open pipe with a little glass-pack. It is loud for certain! I almost want to chop up a "Cherry Bomb" muffler and start another experiment; if at first it sounds crappy I'll just chop off some more.
1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

External Top Oiler Experiment 27 Dec 2007 18:30 #186637

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1282
tuxedotito wrote:

Bad Kaw wrote:

-KR

Thanks again:) The 'cannister' is actually a "MONZA", 4" O.D., "Pencil Tip" car exhaust tip, 2.25" inlet for the MAC collector. The look of it and the dimensions seemed right to me. A friend cut off just the rear MAC muffler section, leaving in effect a natural 'midpipe'. My friend then welded the Monza tip in place. All of the critical measurments were/are close enough to use the stock rear hanger position.
The length of the muffler section is appx. 8" give or take, and it comes with glass-pack in it. My current setup is basically a straight open pipe with a little glass-pack. It is loud for certain! I almost want to chop up a "Cherry Bomb" muffler and start another experiment; if at first it sounds crappy I'll just chop off some more.

I'm having a problem following these last two posts. Which canister are you speaking about?

I went through all seven pages of this thread and cleaned up the double posts. I'm sure I didn't delete anything that wasn't doubled.

In any case your project is fascinating! Keep the pics coming.
Bill
KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

External Top Oiler Experiment 27 Dec 2007 21:14 #186663

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
tuxedotito wrote:[/quote]... I made an admittedly crappy cell-phone video of a static test in the garage to check for leaks and such...and also just to listen to it run for a while. The 1170 kit makes a distinct difference from stock and was well worth the $$. As I stated, it is a short, cell phone video so don't judge too harshly about the sound quality!
[/quote]

... stubby little cannister....

... The 'cannister' is actually a "MONZA", 4" O.D., "Pencil Tip" car exhaust tip....

The mentioned cannister is shown in the youtube video link. On my computer, the sound sometimes was almost like it was coming from underwater. :cheer:
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

External Top Oiler Experiment 28 Dec 2007 04:45 #186685

• tuxedotito
  • User
Patton wrote:

tuxedotito wrote:

... I made an admittedly crappy cell-phone video of a static test in the garage to check for leaks and such...and also just to listen to it run for a while. The 1170 kit makes a distinct difference from stock and was well worth the $$. As I stated, it is a short, cell phone video so don't judge too harshly about the sound quality!
[/quote]

... stubby little cannister....

... The 'cannister' is actually a "MONZA", 4" O.D., "Pencil Tip" car exhaust tip....

The mentioned cannister is shown in the youtube video link. On my computer, the sound sometimes was almost like it was coming from underwater. :cheer:[/quote]

Hey Patton. Yeah, the sound does take a nose dive around the halfway point, I think I was moving too much. I will eventually borrow my Uncle's Vid-Cam and tripod and try to do better;)

KZCSI, thanks for the cleanup; when I double post it just really steams me for being careless! If you view the 'YouTube' clip you will see the muffler in question.
Thanks to everyone, the project goes on and on.........
Thanks all...
1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

External Top Oiler Experiment 24 Jan 2008 06:18 #190784

• tuxedotito
  • User
KZCSI wrote:

tuxedotito wrote:

Bad Kaw wrote:

-KR

I'm having a problem following these last two posts. Which canister are you speaking about?

I went through all seven pages of this thread and cleaned up the double posts. I'm sure I didn't delete anything that wasn't doubled.

In any case your project is fascinating! Keep the pics coming.
Bill
KZCSI

I was tooling around and saw this; it is the same as is welded to my MAC header.
tinyurl.com/24599m
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

External Top Oiler Experiment 16 Apr 2008 08:33 #206866

• tuxedotito
  • User
Thanks Bill,
I have managed to spend some time back in the garage a little over the last several weeks and she is about 5% away from going back on the road:woohoo:, took a few pics out in the sunshine!
All that is left is to mount and connect the signals, bolt the footpegs and shifter etc. back on, and tidy up here and there. Starting the project with a still sealed in the bag Kawi NOS wiring harness sure made things easier!! The overall oiler system is fully operational and makes me smile every time I look it over. I have re-routed the main lines back to their original positions over the valve cover since taking these pics.
Putting the stock swingarm back on really gives the illusion that the rear tire is fatter than it truely is, (just a 130/90/18). I am having my extended arm braced and coated so it is back on the shelf:lol: It never stops...already looking for another frame to put my other engine into:silly:.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 16 Apr 2008 08:34 #206868

• tuxedotito
  • User
Thanks Bill,
I have managed to spend some time back in the garage a little over the last several weeks and she is about 5% away from going back on the road:woohoo:, took a few pics out in the sunshine!
All that is left is to mount and connect the signals, bolt the footpegs and shifter etc. back on, and tidy up here and there. Starting the project with a still sealed in the bag Kawi NOS wiring harness sure made things easier!! The overall oiler system is fully operational and makes me smile every time I look it over. I have re-routed the main lines back to their original positions over the valve cover since taking these pics.
Putting the stock swingarm back on really gives the illusion that the rear tire is fatter than it truly is, (just a 130/90/18). I am having my extended arm braced and coated so it is back on the shelf:lol: It never stops...already looking for another frame to put my other engine into:silly:.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

Last edit: by tuxedotito. Reason: typo

External Top Oiler Experiment 16 Apr 2008 08:37 #206869

• tuxedotito
  • User
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 16 Apr 2008 08:41 #206871

• tuxedotito
  • User
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 16 Apr 2008 08:42 #206872

• tuxedotito
  • User
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

External Top Oiler Experiment 16 Apr 2008 08:44 #206873

• tuxedotito
  • User
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

Last edit: by tuxedotito.