Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

What other year CARBURETORS fit a 1977 KZ750 TWIN B1? My 6 year old broke em 14 Aug 2022 05:37 #872205

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680
The plunger is brass and easily bent, including straightening.  The main challenge is rigging up a test setup so you can indicate the plunger for straightening.  There is a very good chance that you can use some other common Mikuni plunger too.  I've got some CV spares, and companies like Niche sells new parts too. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Nessism.

What other year CARBURETORS fit a 1977 KZ750 TWIN B1? My 6 year old broke em 14 Aug 2022 08:01 #872208

• ShaneDude
  • ShaneDude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 13
There was another issue with the carbs, which is why Im having them rebuilt. Despite the flat spot in the pic, I dont think the "housing" is damaged. I think my son hit the actual pin WHILE causing the flat spot.

Im having the carbs rebuilt (the K&L kits come tomorrow) and will have my old timer friend in NYC have a look. He says he can straighten out the pin. Hes worked on bikes ALL his life and knows everything about every bike, im not even kidding. I think this will be OK. If i need the parts I'll let you know (the plunger that is).

What other year CARBURETORS fit a 1977 KZ750 TWIN B1? My 6 year old broke em 14 Aug 2022 08:30 #872211

• ShaneDude
  • User is blocked

The plunger is brass and easily bent, including straightening.  The main challenge is rigging up a test setup so you can indicate the plunger for straightening.  There is a very good chance that you can use some other common Mikuni plunger too.  I've got some CV spares, and companies line Niche sells new parts too. 

Your info was super helpful, thanks. All this time I had been looking specifically for 77 KZ750 parts when I should have have been looking for mikuni 38MM parts. Had a look at niche and its seems they pretty much sell everything needed to sort out the problem, which is a great relief.
However, they list the carb parts and sizes as VM34 or VM38. Is that the same as a BS38? What is the difference between BS and VM and can I buy a VM plunger/part for a BS38? See below

Attachments:

Last edit: by ShaneDude.

What other year CARBURETORS fit a 1977 KZ750 TWIN B1? My 6 year old broke em 14 Aug 2022 12:35 #872221

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1808
So Shane, I am guessing you have locked your tools away now 

Last edit: by Wookie58.

What other year CARBURETORS fit a 1977 KZ750 TWIN B1? My 6 year old broke em 14 Aug 2022 12:38 #872222

• ShaneDude
  • User is blocked
Shane isnt my name! :-) Its a joke among my friends. Has to do with an old movie.

Anyways, My son is pretty good and listens. When I tell him not to do something he obey. My Mrs thinks its so weird but Im glad for it. No need to lock away the tools. Hes a good kid and now that hes been told, he wont do anything to my bikes unless he asks, and Im present.

Last edit: by ShaneDude.

What other year CARBURETORS fit a 1977 KZ750 TWIN B1? My 6 year old broke em 14 Aug 2022 13:06 #872224

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1808

Shane isnt my name! :-) Its a joke among my friends. Has to do with an old movie.

Anyways, My son is pretty good and listens. When I tell him not to do something he obey. My Mrs thinks its so weird but Im glad for it. No need to lock away the tools. Hes a good kid and now that hes been told, he wont do anything to my bikes unless he asks, and Im present.

What other year CARBURETORS fit a 1977 KZ750 TWIN B1? My 6 year old broke em 15 Aug 2022 14:16 #872308

• ShaneDude
  • User is blocked

The plunger is brass and easily bent, including straightening.  The main challenge is rigging up a test setup so you can indicate the plunger for straightening.  There is a very good chance that you can use some other common Mikuni plunger too.  I've got some CV spares, and companies like Niche sells new parts too. 

Spoke to the head guy at niche. He wrote: "Those are OEM carbs and they are not in our catalogs unfortunately.
I dont know if the VM or TM style would work. I wonder if the old smooth-bore plungers will work."
If you have a spare plunger assembly in good working condition, Id be happy to buy it off you. Please PM me if so.