Even though this bike is finished now I'm going to put up this thread for reference purposes just in case it could help someone else working on their bike. I'm not a professional restoration guy, just someone that has learned a lot by making mistakes doing. Remember, it's only a "mistake" if you do something wrong TWICE.
I always loved the 750E and GPz550/750 bikes. All my early years of riding was done on smaller bikes (400/550's) so to me a 750 IS a big bike. At any rate, got a tip from a friend about the availability of this bike so went for a look. It was only 10 min's away so I couldn't resist. One of those "ran when parked" bikes, only this thing was "parked" outside for the last five years. I paid too much ($700), but it did come with two exhaust systems, one of which was a Mac header that was easily sold to bring down the effective purchase price. Here we go...
Excepting for some crappy alarm that was installed in the tail section the bike was pretty much unmolested. Bad news is that it was corroded pretty badly. Carbs completely frozen, rear master dry and stuck, brakes frozen, etc.
Pistons looked good, but cylinders look a little funny. Borrowed a bore gauge from work and measured them. Not thrilled with the numbers but usable. Going to bottle brush hone and install new OEM rings.
Gloss top coat was Nason urethane. Fleet paint. Wonderful stuff. Amazing really. Flows out amazingly well and you have to hamfist the gun to create runs. Shot the paint with a Sata minijet spray gun. The semi-gloss paint was Por-15 Chassis Kote. Looks good but really sucky to spray. The Nason spoiled me and the Por-15 punished me...
Doing the frame was an exercise in masochism. There was a fair bit of surface rust, particularly around the tabs and brackets, and underneath the steering head area.
Paint stripper, the good stuff that washes off with mineral spirits, was first. Interestingly, Kawasaki used some sort of yellow primer on the lower half of the frame, but no primer that I could see on the top half.
A wire wheel was next followed by coal slag blasting. The blasting was focused in the areas where there was old remnant paint and rust, and to rough up the metal for paint. In the past I used to use "play sand" for blasting, but a friend pointed out that the silica was bad for the lungs so coal slag was used hereafter.
I love what you did with your KZ750E. I followed your build for a long time. Congrats on making BOTM!!!! I built a KZ750E back in the early 80's. I used many of the same parts you did. The GPz feetpegs, and the oil cooler were the same exact parts that I used on my E model. Your build brought back more than a few memories.
I road raced mine in a few WERA endurance races back then. I parked it when the Honda Interceptor came out in '83. After that it became my primary streetbike. Gold wheels were my trademark back then as you can see in the one photo.
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!
Hand controls were heavily weathered so bought a couple better units for parts off ebay. Took them all apart and cleaned/greased in innards. Fixed a broken wire here and there too. Good fun and nice change of pace compared to all the painting and messy work.