Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Retroactive KZ750E Project Thread 14 Aug 2018 17:06 #788853

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
  • Thank you received: 5
May I ask how you masked everything off? Right now we all I got masked off is the rims. I have them deflated with the bead down and masking tape to protect the tire from overspray. Of course I’ll cover the rest of the tire. What I really want to know is how you masked the threaded holes. I’m also wondering how well does the masking tape come off after the paint is dry? Do I need to worry about paint peeling? And as for the tire set up, does that sound like a good idea?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Retroactive KZ750E Project Thread 09 Sep 2018 10:03 #790570

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
Out of curiosity, how long did you wait after primer to shoot your nason urethane? 15-30-45 minuets? And also, you didn’t sand between the two, did you? I’m just getting super close to shooting everything and wanted to know.

Thanks!

Retroactive KZ750E Project Thread 10 Sep 2018 05:23 #790635

• Nessism
  • Nessism's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671

JohnLuke wrote: May I ask how you masked everything off? Right now we all I got masked off is the rims. I have them deflated with the bead down and masking tape to protect the tire from overspray. Of course I’ll cover the rest of the tire. What I really want to know is how you masked the threaded holes. I’m also wondering how well does the masking tape come off after the paint is dry? Do I need to worry about paint peeling? And as for the tire set up, does that sound like a good idea?

Thanks!

I use 3M blue painting tape for masking, but I didn't mask the frame a whole lot. Too lazy. To remove paint from threaded holes by chasing with a tap. If your metal is preped right the tape won't pull off the paint. It's always best to remove masking before the paint reaches full cure regardless; wait a few hours and then remove any tape.

There is a critical recoat time of 24 hours between when you lay down the epoxy primer and when you have to top coat. I usually do the primer one day and the color coat the next. You can shoot the color the same day as the primer if you want it's just a lot of spraying. I'm not sure how long to wait but think you will be okay after an hour or so. The directions for the material are available on the internet so always download the data sheet for any paint materials you are using and follow them.

Last edit: by Nessism.

Retroactive KZ750E Project Thread 21 Sep 2018 22:13 #791219

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
So here is what I got after painting. It hasn’t fully cured yet. Unfortunately I think I had a bit of orange peel on the frame. But I think it’s only under the tank. And it’s totally not as good as what you did.

Last edit: by JohnLuke.

Retroactive KZ750E Project Thread 23 Sep 2018 12:18 #791310

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154
Just read this whole thread, and that's a marvelous job you did there Ness, credit to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Retroactive KZ750E Project Thread 04 Oct 2018 20:00 #791842

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
So the first time I painted I did it to light. So the finished product looked and felt horrible. So I scuffed everything up and sprayed everything again until the paint had enough time to build up and not run. Now it looks fabulous. It’s just on a few places where as soon as I moved the gun upside down it didn’t spray. So my question is, can I mask off or whatever every thing I don’t want repainted, scuff up the area I want to fix and the spray it? Of course allow enough time for the paint to build up and really shine. Here are some photos of what I need to redo.

The seat hoop has some scratches from where I scuffed before. I wasn’t able to get that part cuz I was upside down.

As for the other parts I’m not sure.

Thanks!
Attachments:

Retroactive KZ750E Project Thread 04 Oct 2018 20:01 #791843

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
The fork is in there for reference of what it should look like.

Retroactive KZ750E Project Thread 05 Oct 2018 05:02 #791847

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
Yes, you can mask and respray. A gray scotchbrite pad works well to scuff paint for respray.

Retroactive KZ750E Project Thread 05 Oct 2018 23:46 #791904

• gordone
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 67

JohnLuke wrote: So the first time I painted I did it to light. So the finished product looked and felt horrible. So I scuffed everything up and sprayed everything again until the paint had enough time to build up and not run. Now it looks fabulous. It’s just on a few places where as soon as I moved the gun upside down it didn’t spray. So my question is, can I mask off or whatever every thing I don’t want repainted, scuff up the area I want to fix and the spray it? Of course allow enough time for the paint to build up and really shine. Here are some photos of what I need to redo.

The seat hoop has some scratches from where I scuffed before. I wasn’t able to get that part cuz I was upside down.

As for the other parts I’m not sure.

Thanks!

Why do you not make protject thread?
1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine

Retroactive KZ750E Project Thread 06 Oct 2018 08:42 #791927

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
Lol idk

Retroactive KZ750E Project Thread 10 Oct 2018 16:44 #792134

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
As for masking, if I just mask off the area I need to scuff up and respray won’t that cause a ridge or something when I remove the tape? Maybe when you say mask off you mean something else. The reason I ask is because I’m running out of activator. Stuff is expensive and I don’t know where to buy it. I kinda feel like I need to decide what parts I want to respray because I feel o don’t have enough.

Thanks!

Retroactive KZ750E Project Thread 10 Oct 2018 16:59 #792138

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

JohnLuke wrote: As for masking, if I just mask off the area I need to scuff up and respray won’t that cause a ridge or something when I remove the tape? Maybe when you say mask off you mean something else. The reason I ask is because I’m running out of activator. Stuff is expensive and I don’t know where to buy it. I kinda feel like I need to decide what parts I want to respray because I feel o don’t have enough.

Thanks!

Yes, you will get a tape line...but it's just a frame so that won't matter very much. And if the tape line upsets you there is always color sanding and polishing that can be done.