Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 24 Feb 2016 10:10 #712318

• scubaanders
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 233
That came out nice and tidy :)
I have mine on the balcony since a number of week back awaiting to get them back on again.
But with the current weather it looks I am in no hurry :whistle:

/A
Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 24 Feb 2016 11:04 #712320

• Irish-Kawi
  • Irish-Kawi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37

scubaanders wrote: That came out nice and tidy :)
I have mine on the balcony since a number of week back awaiting to get them back on again.
But with the current weather it looks I am in no hurry :whistle:

/A

Thanks Scuba! Yeah two days ago it dropped an inch of snow and past two days weather has been overcast and cold so I hear ya. Next week should start warming up and will do the float adjustments and dynamic sync next weekend since this weekend is already spoken for with family commitments. Should give me time to rebuild the petcock and turn it from vacuum to manual so I don't have to worry about my carbs or engine flooding with fuel if she sits for longer than a few days or a week.

- Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 27 Feb 2016 11:38 #712729

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Hey KZR,

Well found what I think will be a pretty ingenious solution to the bar end space issue on my throttle side. Went to Home Depot and searched for some PVC tubing to act as a spacer but couldnt find anything that had both the right ID to fit over the bar and the right OD to match the OD of the bar end. So continuing to look around and hunt I came across some brass fittings. Found one that had the right OD and then found another that had the right ID on one side (its a reducer fitting) and they just happened to slide inside one another and make one perfect piece :D

So I took these pieces and cleaned them with alcohol and removed the stickers and residue etc. Then I mixed up a decent amount of JB Weld and lined the inner and outer surfaces and slide em together and then filled in the gap on the one side and cleaned it off and let it set up. Once it had hardened and cured I then spent about 1.5-2hrs sanding and polishing it up. Will have to cut it down the exact spacing size but this should work and can then see if I like the polished brass look, or if I should rough it up and then paint it satin black to disappear and blend back in. Here is the finished product after polishing but before cutting down to size...

- Brett

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Last edit: by Irish-Kawi.

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 27 Feb 2016 12:39 #712732

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
I've been known to do things like that. :lol: I would have sweat soldered it but JB should work. :whistle:
Steve

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 27 Feb 2016 13:15 #712733

• Irish-Kawi
  • User

swest wrote: I've been known to do things like that. :lol: I would have sweat soldered it but JB should work. :whistle:
Steve

Well without going to Pop's place I had no tools or way to do that. Wanted to have it ready to stab on after cutting when I was there next hence the JB Weld, but in a perfect world would have soldered as well. That being said it is simply a spacer so no force at all should end up on it so Im not too worried about the JB Weld failing.

- Brett

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 29 Feb 2016 19:35 #713144

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
So got it lined up to be in the garage from morning until afternoon on my day off on Thursday. Should get this really close to being back on the road by end of day.

Still needed to get to riding is...
1. Install choke slide assembly on carb bank
2. Install carb bank on bike and reconnect everything
3. Swap the oil since contaminated with gas
4. Modify/rebuild petcock
5. Dynamic sync carbs when bike is running and set floats etc
6. Check/change brake fluid.
7. Cut and install copper handlebar spacer
8. Check/fix starter issue

Numbers 4 and 8 I'm still concerned about and could be a much bigger job than I'm hoping :S

Should (hopefully :p ) be able to get through most of that list Thursday and then it's just a bit longer till I can ride. Been getting warmer here and riding season is starting :D

- Brett

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 01 Mar 2016 13:21 #713263

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Before I crawl into a deep dark hole and consummate myself on the petcock issue, wanted to clarify that the steps I was planning to take would actually work. To be considerate I started a thread for it in the "right" section under carbs. Here is a link to it, if anyone has some thoughts or experience on covering these types of vacuum operated petcocks to manual please chime in. The method that I found and posted sounds like the easiest and best way to convert but it doesn't sound like any other method I have read. This is one of the last steps to get my dark skinned beauty ridable and wanted to do it correctly.

www.kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/60142...ck-conversion#713262

Thanks,
Brett

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 03 Mar 2016 13:13 #713646

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Well on a quick lunch break to scarf down some food and get back to it. So far got this done...

1. Refurbished (thanks Pops!) fuel sending unit swapped into tank
2. Petcock rebuilt and modified now a manual one until new tank goes on with the Murphs Conversion kit (allows reserve to be retained)
3. Choke slide assembly installed and golden
4. Bench top float heights set and done (what a PITA!!!)
5. New carb boots on heads
6. Oils drained just waiting to put filter back in and fill with new oil.
7. Throttle side collar spacer for bar end finished and installed.

Next up after lunch is putting the carbs back on the bike and hooked up then see if I can't get her to fire. Pics will go up tonight of everything ;)

- Brett

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 03 Mar 2016 18:37 #713701

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
SHE LIVES!!!!!!

Teaser but she is up and running and can also now confirm there is NOT an issue with the starter or clutch, maybe something with an electrical gremlin but fired right up on the first push of the button and start was singing and super strong. Tried it nearly a dozen times and was perfect, which is such a relief as I did NOT want to pull the engine and split the cases.

Detailed post and pics later, but she is humming and running ;)

- Brett

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 03 Mar 2016 18:45 #713702

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
Good for you. B)
Steve

85 GPz750 Refresh Project- Running! 04 Mar 2016 09:49 #713789

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Well here are the promised pics and post, going to break this up into a few posts since it is very pic heavy fair warning.

Awhile back I had promised to take some pics of the current tank as well as the donor tank, yesterday was nice enough and due to needing to work on the petcock and put in the refurbished fuel level sending unit I dug out the two tanks from the shed. First up is the old tank including several angles and me pointing out the damage. Then the new tank showing the damage on it that will be fixed with pointless dent repair.

Old Tank:

- Brett

85 GPz750 Refresh Project- Running! 04 Mar 2016 09:51 #713791

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Donor tank that still needs dents pulled and paint cut/cleaned:

Refurbished sending unit (thanks Pops!!!)

- Brett