Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 15 Feb 2016 12:12 #710794

• Irish-Kawi
  • Irish-Kawi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37
Hey Gang,

First off I wouldn't call this a build per say but it's more than just a tune up to. Bought from my Pops a 1985 GPz750 with 14,800 original miles. Some may be familiar with the bike already since Pops bought it from another member on another forum like KZRider. Regardless here is an abridged backstory...

Picked up the bike and started riding it last fall, got a few hundred miles on it before the Colorado weather turned crapoy enough that it was out away until spring of this year. Spring is starting so working on it now to fix a few things, update some stuff and get her reliable and ready for the season. Below is what it needs to get there and then another list of round 2/coming changes.

Needs Round 1:
1. Rebuild the carbs and replace carb to air of boots
2. Replace the gastank and on replacement tank put in a new petcock
3. Tear apart the front forks and rebuild
4. Change out the locks (helmet locks and seat locks)
5. New grips (old ones just hurt my hands too bad)

Needs Round 2:
1. Change tires (old ones still have rubber and decent condition but they are cheapies and don't know age etc)
2. Replacement windscreen (original is slightly cracked near mounting holes on a few spots)
3. Resolve starter issues (separate tech thread setup in Engine forum for this one already on KZRider)
4. Rearsets (maybe? I would love to do aftermarket ones but really not sure how or what that takes)

So that's where we are starting at, past week and intermittently in the months before have made some progress on round 1 and 2.

What's done so far:
1. New tank in near mint sourced from black and red 1985 GPz750, one small ding on top but doesn't affect paint and paint less dent repair is done soon. Still need to replace petcock or if even possible disable the vacuum option. Have to change the case fluids already since old gas from winter already drained into it due to crapoy petcock.
2. Carbs are off the bike and blown apart and cleaned to spotless in the heated ultra sonic cleaner (Pops garage is AWESOME). Just waiting on gaskets and a few replacement pieces then they go back together and back on the bike.
3. New locks from donor 85 GPz750 (same as tank) sources and already swapped out for seat and both helmet locks
4. Located new replacement smoke windscreen but have to order still just waiting on finances since we are single income family and my wife stays home with our autistic child.
5. New ProGrips 719 red and black grips ordered just waiting to arrive and install.
6. Next big step is going to be rebuilding the forks which should be started next week or two I would imagine.

That's about it so far, I know that future changes are going to be swapping out stock mirrors since they do such a brilliant job at showing me my shoulders and elbows, and doing something different if not removing entirely the nasty faded plastic rear wheel well housing that holds the rear brake and turn signals and license plate etc. probably changing out front and rear turn signals as well for something a bit sleeker and better looking.

Overall I absolutely love the lines and style of the bike and really don't want to change the overall look too much, going to keep the stock pipes since they are in such great condition and the black chrome looks so good on them. I really just want to update a few more cosmetic details to bring it up to what a 1975 GPz would look if it were released today if that makes sense.

Not a lot of picks right now since she lives at Pops' place which is 30 min away from me but will snag some and post shortly as I can. The carbs looks killer and were exceptionally clean when we tore them apart, it seems that the idle issue was likely due to the torn and jury rigged boots that were torn etc.
- Irish
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 15 Feb 2016 12:24 #710795

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Forgot to put in one question with regards to tires. Talked to a couple shops and there are only a few very low spec options for tires for these bikes. I'm not going to be riding at 140mph everywhere but I like knowing I have tires that are rated for that and really can't find anything rated for speed, mostly just cruiser tires. Anyone have some ideas or info to get proper tires on this? I doubt it would see the track for at least a few years, I am a pleasure rider and spend almost all my time attacking canyons and giggling like a maniac haha.

- Irish

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 15 Feb 2016 14:05 #710802

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2590
The following user(s) said Thank You: Irish-Kawi

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 15 Feb 2016 14:21 #710803

• Irish-Kawi
  • User

swest wrote: I run Shinko's.
Steve
www.chaparral-racing.com/product/shinko-...tire/369-874170.aspx

Thanks Steve, reviews there rave about them and rated up to 150 which is faster than I can and will ride so good there too, plus love the pricing thank you!

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 15 Feb 2016 14:27 #710804

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
They have lots of other stuff too. Z1E and z1partsinc are good places for Kaw parts.
Steve

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 15 Feb 2016 15:12 #710805

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Thanks Steve, for my moto gear needs I use mostly Revzilla due to how they've treated me and their brilliant customer service. Since I last posted I picked up an Icon Sanctuary leather jacket in black and Kawi green, mirror silver face mask for my helmet and getting ready to order some leather pants soon too and going to go with the Icon Hypersport Primes. Also was lucky enough to snag a pair of Sidi Vertigo boots just a hair too big (fixed that with an extra pair of socks) that I cleaned up and rebuilt and look nearly new again for $30 woohoo!

For parts though I'm fortunate enough and lucky enough to get to leave most of that to Pops since he owns his Klassy Kaws LLC business now and works with Z1 Enterpsie for most of the stuff I've needed such as carb gaskets, float needle valve seat assemblies and choke slide gaskets (can't believe those little mothers are $13 a pop!!!!!) to finish the carbs.

I've heard from some accounts that the springs in the forks are pretty weak and if you're already taking the forks apart to rebuild they should be upgraded, any thoughts from y'all on that? If so should I be looking into progressive springs or just stick with stock replacement etc? Bear in mind I plan to spend no time on the track with this bike, I would hate myself for tearing up something so unique and in such brilliant shape, so it's just canyons for me.

Thanks,
Brett

Last edit: by Irish-Kawi.

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 15 Feb 2016 15:17 #710806

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
After 30 so years I bought progressive springs for the front. Best $78 I've spent in a long time. Tire stays on the road and it soaks up the little bumps. B)
Steve

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 15 Feb 2016 15:27 #710808

• Irish-Kawi
  • User

swest wrote: After 30 so years I bought progressive springs for the front. Best $78 I've spent in a long time. Tire stays on the road and it soaks up the little bumps. B)
Steve

That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for, thanks!

Pops out some brand new bling on his SR650 with new Hagon rear shocks and he said it completely transformed how she felt and handled, hope progressive springs on my front forks make that big of a difference as well. I know these also have the anti-dive feature on them run off of pressure from the front brakes when they engage but also read that the system barely makes any discernible difference.

- Brett

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 16 Feb 2016 16:40 #710986

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Was able to dig up a few pics, not a ton but at least some to make this thread more visually interesting haha. Currently the bike lives in Pops' garage which is about 30 min away, heading there later this week when my grips and bar ends arrive to install them and will take pics of the carbs all sparkly and clean and how the bike is sitting now along with the new tank and old tank. Until then hope y'all can get by with these.... a few extra shots of the bike and my first rid eon it, as well as some of the new moto sexy gear that I snagged over the past couple months, Icon leather jacket with full D3O armor compliment, HJC helmet ($35 new on Craigslist woot! just missing the silver mirror face shield), Sidi Vertigo boots ($30 on craigslist again love it!) and new Ogio backpack to use specifically on the bike when traveling.

EDIT: Apparently I can't upload directly from my computer, putting them in Photobucket then trying a different way

How the GPz sat last fall before she was put away for winter in CO...

Last edit: by Irish-Kawi.

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 16 Feb 2016 16:51 #710989

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
The rest of the pics of the bike and some new gear....

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 16 Feb 2016 16:59 #710991

• kawi810
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
this should be like facebook so i can post a LIKE looking good GPZ 750
original owner of a 1984 gpz 750
1985 turbo 750 stock, being restored.
1984 gpz 750 with 810 cc wiesco's megacycle cams(471-10) 34 mm flatslides v&h pipe ported head dyna ignition. bottom end, crank case from turbo 750 and sprockets.

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 16 Feb 2016 17:06 #710992

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
We all have our own style. B)
Steve

Attachments:

Last edit: by SWest.