Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 16 Mar 2016 10:53 #715714

• Irish-Kawi
  • Irish-Kawi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37

650ed wrote: Bike looks great!! Ed

Thanks Ed, appreciate it and really happy with how it turned out for the end of this first phase! Still need to clean out the inside of the new replacement tank and get the dent pulled but the eye sore of the current tank should be gone and taken care of in the next 4-6 weeks or so I would hope and that will make a big impact visually.

Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 18 Mar 2016 09:23 #716034

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Well started the process of mounting up and wiring in the Denali Sound Bomb air horn, but weather turned nasty and started to snow which cut that short. Right now bike is at my place which means it is outside under the canopy but still exposed and no way am I working on it outside while it is snowing. So will have to wait to wrap up when it warms up and I can ride over to Pops place.

That being said, was able to remove the two original horns and using the original brackets got the air horn and the compressor mounted up on each side. Happy with how the air horn is sitting but not completely done with the compressor. Will need to bend the bracket back at somewhere around the 20-30 degree mark to tuck the compressor back behind the mid fairing so it isn't sticking out, will also find a way to mount a bit more securely so it isn't bouncing and shaking around. Once that is done just need to plump the air line which I will put behind the oil cooler to hide it as best as possible and then wire it up. Wiring is pretty easy and shouldn't take longer than an hour or more start to finish. Got a few splice connectors and a sealed fuse holder since I don't want to cut up the original wiring harness since I want the ability to be able to put this bike back to 100% stock trim or at least darned close if I ever chose to do so, hence the splice connectors instead of cutting and soldering like I would normally do. Here are a few pics of some of the progress I was able to make before the weather turned to sh!t.

- Brett

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 18 Mar 2016 11:54 #716053

• Ed_in_Miami
  • User
  • Thank you received: 46
Very-very-very nice bike.
I love the lines on the GPZ.
Keep it up!
ED.
This is my build:
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/600312-ano...rtment-build?start=0
There are many more like it, but this one is mine... news to come!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Irish-Kawi

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 18 Mar 2016 15:20 #716071

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Thanks Ed, really digging your KZP and apartment build that is impressive to say the least! You are very blessed to have such a supportive and understanding family, good luck and keep the updates coming!!

Brett

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 19 Mar 2016 17:09 #716232

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Nice when it all comes together. like on my 750R1, working through things as a running bike keeps the fun, much better than stripping it to a frame and a crankshaft and then spending months or years rebuilding it.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 21 Mar 2016 16:20 #716606

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Thanks Tyrell, it is certainly nice to be able to ride and work on it so you don't miss any (or at least very little) riding time throughout the season, makes it far more rewarding anytime you make a change to immediately be able to hop and and see it in action instead of waiting and waiting to see all the work pay off all at once. Though, having done many projects both ways in my life I gotta say there are advantages and disadvantages to each of them, that ground up restoration and mod is a TON of fun and knowing you touched and worked on every single wire and nut and bolt and piece is pretty special feeling too. Either way, its good to simply be able to do your own wrenching and to be able to ride as well :)

Brett

85 GPz750 Project - Denali SoundBomb Install 21 Mar 2016 16:26 #716610

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Well, will have to break this up into a few posts since it is pic heavy and I am a long winded blowhard myself lol. But here is a bit of a write up on my trials and tribulations installing my new Deanli SoundBomb Air horn...

Well was able to put in some time yesterday on my day off to get the Denali SoundBomb airhorn and compressor properly installed on the bike. Turned out to be a surprisingly larger job than I initially expected. Add to that the fact that like an idiot I forgot to bring the fuseable link I bought at the house which added significant steps and time to try to figure out how to properly tie into the accessory slot on the existing fuse block.

Anyways, started out by removing the original horns which were a piece of cake to take off, I was even able to reuse one of the original horn brackets to mount the airhorn itself on the right hand side. The compressor was mounted on the left hand side (same side as fuse block in side panel) using the existing mounting location for the original horn, but I needed to fabricate an angled bracket to get it to tuck up and inside of the bodywork and keep it as far away from the header and cylinder head as possible.

Came out pretty nice and worked beautifully...

After I got those mounted I then ran the air line from the compressor to the air horn on the other side, used a couple of rubber grommets to cushion the hard metal edge that the line passed through behind the oil cooler and steering stem, routed it for me and held away from anything dangerous so was a perfect solution for that.

Before:

After:

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 21 Mar 2016 16:27 #716611

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Continued.....

Once that was done I pulled off the tank and everything else and started wiring up the relay and tying into the fuse block, took a bit of time to do it right but eventually was wrapped up. Was worried about the wires potentially getting too hot near the compressor so as a temporary solution wrapped some header wrap around the base of the compressor and some of the wires and zip tied them on. This morning I ordered some heat resistant woven wire wrap that I will use when it shows up, but until then will use this ugly solution to keep everything safe.

Once that was wrapped up finished up all of the wiring and mounted the relay near the battery via the igniter, routed all the wiring down the spine of the bike with the main wiring harness and zip tied to stay in place properly. All electrical connections were sealed via heat shrink and properly wired and connected up.

And here was the finished product all buttoned up and working...

So wrapped up in the evening and hopped on the bike to ride it home, everything was going really smoothly. About 10 minutes into the ride home I was on a straight rode alone so wanted to test the horn a bit more than just a momentary blip for a fraction of a second at a a time (seriously this horn is stupidly loud!!!!) so I leaned on it for a bit longer than a full second.... horn cut out and stopped working. CRAP!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :sick:

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 21 Mar 2016 16:27 #716612

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Final Installment....

... Got home, checked the fuse on the accessory slot that I tied into (30amp) and nope it was in perfect working order. A bit more thinking and noodling and I am pretty sure that the issue was the circuit with the accessory fuse/slot. Tying into it on the backside the male prong was one of the micro prongs and I didn't have a spade connector that would fit it so I had to solder it directly to the output.

So next day (today) on my lunch break I ripped it all apart again and took that circuit out of the equation, grabbed my fuseable link and got that installed properly and low and behold it works perfectly now :lol:

So here is how the wiring and fuse ended up in the final configuration:

Know I'm a bit long winded but hope you enjoyed the read and for anyone thinking of doing this yourself, I can tell you that short of painting the bike and myself Hi-Viz neon yellow nothing will make me more noticeable and seen/heard than this insane air horn, sounds like a combo between a massive diesel truck horn and one of those air horn cans you see for emergencies or at sports events... 120dB at 3 feet!!! :woohoo: :evil: :evil:

Keep the rubber side down y'all B)

Brett

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 22 Mar 2016 15:10 #716804

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Ok got a bit of an odd one here gang....

Got the K&N factory replacement filter in today and on my lunch break I swapped out the old nasty foam filter in the airbox for the new K&N unit. Swap only took a few minutes and was pretty darned easy, fit great with no problems so sealed it back up and buttoned her up and went for a short ride on my lunch break (around 15 minutes and 3-4 miles. Noticed immediately that Saya was now running like crap :angry: :angry: :angry: .... started right up and idles just fine but whenever you twist the throttle and feed her a bit of gas she starts to stumble and hesitate for a few seconds before finally accelerating. She isn't accelerating near as hard as she used to and being an OCD A-type personality nut job that I am played around trying to isolate and diagnose a bit. Noticed that when warmed up and choke off any type of partial throttle causes her to stumble and hesitate. If I put the choke fully on the issue is less noticeable and it does help a bit. :blink: :blink: The hesitation and stumbling does NOT go away completely but it is much less noticeable. Last thing I noticed was that the issue MOSTLY goes away at WOT, she pulls very hard but I get a sense that it isn't quite as hard as she used to pull.

Only thing I changed was the air filter, it is a stock replacement and is inside of the factory airbox. I was under the assumption that just changing the air filter in the airbox does not need any carb adjustment but now I am baffled.... working long hours today and tomorrow so can't do anything after work today or tomorrow such as swapping back to the original filter and testing again, so I am reaching out to you guys to see if there is anything you may be able to come up with? :S :S

Thanks as always gang,
Brett

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 22 Mar 2016 18:00 #716835

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
I guess your old filter was more restrictive than you thought.
Steve

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 22 Mar 2016 18:04 #716838

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2677
K&N's are famous for flowing lots of air (and filtering dirt poorly but that's a topic for another day). It seems pretty clear that the free flow filter has messed up your carburetion. I'd try spraying down the filter with some K&N spray oil and see if you can richen up the mixture a little.