Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

GPZ900 air filter material 13 Oct 2020 13:23 #836788

• Z550tim
  • Z550tim's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, i've recently run into a strange issue with an air filter for GPZ900. The filter element is not paper, but foam inside and tiny pointy fibers outside. The problem is that these fibers are totally loose, they just fly everywhere, i have them on my hands when i touch the filter. I even found them stuffed in carburetors air jets.
I thought maybe its due to the old age the material has deteriorated, so i bought a new filter, and its even worse. Has anyone came across this issue?? Either i bought too cheap filter, (it wasn't hiflo) or that's how bad they all are. The workshop manual actually says to add 30W oil , so i think this may help keeping the fibers at the filter, but still it shouldn't be like that i think.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GPZ900 air filter material 14 Oct 2020 09:25 #836848

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1623
Is the OEM air filter still available? Partzilla has it for the ZX900A Ninja, but I don't know if it's the same as yours. It's pricy, but I assume it's washable. The cross-reference shows that the Concours models used the same filter, so maybe you could poke around some connie forums.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

GPZ900 air filter material 16 Oct 2020 08:22 #836983

• Z550tim
  • Z550tim's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for your response. Yes but i don't want to spent money on a OEM filter just to see if the material is the same. For now i leave it like that, put back the old filter which i washed and soaked a little with a 2stroke oil. For now its good.
What i've found out, the fitment of the filter is very important because if its not seated correctly, it will stress the airbox and it just cracks, than it leads to lean mixture and backfiring, and indeed there is a video on yt regarding this topic from the Concours owner.

GPZ900 air filter material 16 Oct 2020 11:22 #837002

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
The filter should not disintegrate like that. That crud is going to get sucked into your engine.

• Page: