Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 15 Nov 2011 19:58 #488667

• Motor Head
  • Motor Head's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Well yesterday a couple of the guys from the ZG/ GTR site got together and did like 200mi out here in the flats. Not to my riding style, but still fun.
So far I took 1 reading for mileage, that 46.3mpg. That is from the other 200mi ride I did by myself up in the mountains, 6K-10K' and using a bit of throttle. Pretty decent for a Liter Bike.
I'm loving the brakes now, just a finger or two on the front, and a light touch with the rear, comes right down from speed.
Just ground on the slot in the Ignition timing Rotor to get a bit more. Stock curve is 10-35, I bumped it 4, so 14-39. Liquid cooled and high altitude, so it should handle it easily. The stock gear shift linkage was getting a bit of play in one of the Ball Sockets, so I ordered a couple of new Heim Joints, and redid the linkage, cost about $8 all up. Hopefully the taller windshield will turn up tomorrow afternoon. Still waiting on the Voltmeter to show also.If the weather holds I might get out on Thursday for a Peel. Another ride with the ZG/ GTR guys has been suggested for this Sunday, but the Weather Guessers are saying Bad Stuff. Who Knows.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Motor Head.

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 17 Nov 2011 21:49 #489007

• Motor Head
  • User
So these Keihin CVK32 carbs don't come with an over flow tube in the float bowl. So if the petcock is left on Prime, there is the good potential of the fuel flowing into the cylinder. Then when hitting the Start button, the motor may/ will Hydro-lock. It can and does bend Connecting Rods in these motors. That's Bad, you don't want the Rod bent.
So the Fix its to add Float Bowl overflow tubes. There is a boss already there where you can drill into the bowl drain circuit, then add a brass tube. Not really very difficult to do, all you need is some Hobby Shop Brass tube, I used 3/32" Brass Tube. It was 4- 12" tubes for $4 at Hobby lobby.
First you have to determine the correct drill to use to access the Drain Circuit, smaller than the tube Dia. Then once that's done, another Just smaller drill to make it ready for the Press/ Interference fit, so the Tube is tight and won't leak. i have a Full Set Of Numbered Drills, so I used #44 first to get the hole through to the drain circuit, then #43 for the final size. The #43 is about.002" smaller than the 3/32" tubing. De Burr and slightly Bevel the end of the Brass Tube, Then its just a easy light Tap Tap to seat it. I went to a length for the tube of 1.75mm, which gives quite a bit of fuel height before it will actually work as a drain., so Slosh won't drip/ leak. It makes the tube extend about 45mm above the set fuel height. That will create a drain, before it reaches a height which would flood the motor from the next lowest point, the Needle Jet/ Main Jet Well.
I'm sure the reason for the Lack of Drain tubes is the EPA. This 90 Concours is a California model, although they all have No Overflow Tubes, this also has a Charcoal Canister/ Vapor Recovery System for the fuel tank and carbs, all sealed. No fumes escaping into the atmosphere.
I also replaced the 4mm x.7 Bowl Screws with a much longer Allen Cap Screw and a washer/ lock-nut set up. This enables a much easier removal of the bowls, to change Mains, or Pilots, adjust fuel level, etc.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
Attachments:

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 23 Nov 2011 19:58 #489888

• Motor Head
  • User
Well the Volt Meter I ordered showed up the other day, and I got around to fitting it. Since I had replace my gauge cluster, because of broken plastic when I got the bike. I had a Spare Clock/ housing. This area I cut from the broken Gauge surround, then fitting it to the shape of the Top of trim panel, I glued it on to it. Cutting and filing on the Clock Insert area, I was able to fit the Digital Panel Volt Meter in the same area. So here is a few shots of the Dash, without the additional Gauge, the Dash was Off on 1 side. Only the Clock, on the Right. looks a bit strange like it needed something on the Left. Oh and I get a 13.8- 14V while riding.

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 23 Nov 2011 20:20 #489889

• P21
  • User
  • Thank you received: 34
looking good there
Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 24 Nov 2011 21:05 #490050

• Motor Head
  • User
Thanks, P21.

Well here it was a Beautiful Fall Day, to good for any sitting inside. So here is where me and the Concours went. In Victor, the Local Sheriff was nice enough to let me off with just a verbal warning. So after the close call with the Law, I pussed out a bit with the right hand.
About 300mi by the time I went for gas and then Beer on the way home. Gotta Ride when there is Blue Sky!!!
B)
maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Colorado+Spri...=1,2,5,9,12&t=m&z=10

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 25 Nov 2011 15:09 #490101

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
That worked out very well! Does it dim at night or not?
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 25 Nov 2011 23:11 #490150

• Motor Head
  • User
Well no, there is no dimming at present. But that would be easy enough to add, to all of the dash lights if wanted. I've got a nice POT already from a RX7 that would give adjust-ability. But so far I was out to dusk yesterday, helped a fellow rider who had a flat tire, LED was not a problem.

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 26 Nov 2011 04:31 #490179

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
  • Thank you received: 12
Hey! You don't live in my area do you? I was talking to a guy at my local Autozone maybe a week or so ago, and he had a concours that looked very similar to yours.
Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 26 Nov 2011 11:05 #490194

• Motor Head
  • User
Not unless your in Maryland Colorado? :silly:
Long ways out to your west I believe, and way up hill. The Concours is a Popular bike though, they seem to have a Big following. Feebay is Full of Used parts for them, that helps, and then the ZL model and the ZX model has some of the same parts. So if someone wants there is easy swaps for more HP, higher in the RPM range.