Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1990 Concours, opinions as a sport tourer, good ? 04 Oct 2011 19:46 #481368

• Motor Head
  • Motor Head's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Well time for the first parts order so I can get it going anyway. Shouldn't be to bad until I get into the cosmetics. Probably drop $500 there alone, almost worth having a parts bike with good plastic & Tank. Some one dented up this one a bit, and would need fixing/ painting. Cost of paint these days, I might see about a used one.
$200 for the first order, Air boots and filter, Carb bowl O-Rings, Fork Seals & Fluid, RF turn signal assy. Stupid Keihen Carbs, but they don't look to bad, pretty clean from sitting. Someone must have drained the bowls. Tank was another story, Yuk. :sick:
So here is some first Pic's before any cleaning or washing, with a box of plastic parts.

To Bad it is no good, Interstate sells this AGM for $130!!!!!

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Motor Head.

1990 Concours, opinions as a sport tourer, good ? 04 Oct 2011 22:40 #481403

• Motor Head
  • User
Well so far I have found it easy to work on, valve adjustment was a piece of cake, no shims just screws and lock nuts. All the service points are accessible, Air filter comes right out, carbs were pretty easy to remove even with the stiff boots. Although I read there should be no Drains for the Forks, they are there. So that should be easy, seals and fluid. The worst part of the deal so far has been all this crap plastic, broken cracked etc. Then the fuel tank needs a redo, dented and paint issues. I'll get it going and then do cosmetics. Oh and I hate the stupid Keihen carbs, they should have either stayed with Mikuni, or gone with Injection. Injection would have been very nice. ;)
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

1990 Concours, opinions as a sport tourer, good ? 05 Oct 2011 23:49 #481605

• Motor Head
  • User
So a bit of progress as I wait for parts. Went to HF ie China Tools and got a compression tester kit, as it has the small plug adapter. Then checking I got solid but low readings, so I tried my gauge, and up it came. 130-140 on all 4 without it being run, for a couple years. Remember I'm at 6200' which will lower readings.
That China Tool gauge was 20lbs lower. Don't trust it. It will be returned for refund. www.harborfreight.com/compression-test-kit-66216.html
Working on the seat cover, $10 for Good Marine Vinyl. ;)
There's a guy on CL who is parting one out, going on the weekend to look and see whats better than mine, etc. The AGM battery has taken charge but seems weak, I'll keep the trickle on it and check some more. Other than the plastic, most of the bike looks like it will be OK. Can't wait to fire it. Boots and Air filter early next week.

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 06 Oct 2011 08:54 #481661

• WMKZ900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have an 06 Concours that I purchased in Nov. of 2010 with 12k miles. I've put 3k miles on it and have more likes than dislikes. Mine has been trouble free. I can ride in pretty much any temp comfortably. Gas milage runs around 45 mpg. Run perfectly, power is great. Negative, heavy, hot in summer trafic.

On balance well satisfied.

Have and Running
66 Honda S90
71 Honda CB350
71 Kawasaki H1 500
73 Kawasaki H2 750
76 Kawasaki KZ900
06 Kawasaki Concours

Had
65 Honda S65
68 Honda CL 175
71 Honda CB 450
72 Kawasaki H2 750
74 Kawasaki H2 750

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 06 Oct 2011 09:30 #481667

• Motor Head
  • User
Thanks for the reply WMKZ900, your bike looks Way better than mine. I like the Blue.
I find my KZ1000 pretty Hot to ride too in the summer heat. I sure notice the weight just moving it around and putting it on the center stand. But that's the way it goes, unless you want a Racer.
The fuel economy sounds good, I get that now with my KZ, but the 7.5 gallon tank is huge compared to the 4 on my KZ. Twelve thousand when you got it, still new, as these are known to run a very long time.

Reading the Owners Manual, you get to the Fuel area, and read all the Warranty will be voided Info From Kawasaki with Ethanol Gas. Strongly recommended to stay away from it, multitude of issues. Go figure. :sick: And the Government just forces that crap down our throats, A**Holes!! :angry:

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 06 Oct 2011 11:37 #481689

• Russ Jackson
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I have had my 08 for just over 2 months and I love it. Figure I have the best of both worlds now...Russ
1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 06 Oct 2011 11:46 #481690

• Motor Head
  • User
That is Super Sweet!! To rich for my Blood though. Maybe in 20 years as a Fixer!!!!

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 06 Oct 2011 11:54 #481692

• WMKZ900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Motor Head you did well getting your Concours for $3,840 less than I have in mine.

I was surprised how easy it goes onto the center stand concidering it's 595 lbs dry.
Have and Running
66 Honda S90
71 Honda CB350
71 Kawasaki H1 500
73 Kawasaki H2 750
76 Kawasaki KZ900
06 Kawasaki Concours

Had
65 Honda S65
68 Honda CL 175
71 Honda CB 450
72 Kawasaki H2 750
74 Kawasaki H2 750

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 06 Oct 2011 12:24 #481697

• Motor Head
  • User

WMKZ900 wrote: Motor Head you did well getting your Concours for $3,840 less than I have in mine.

I was surprised how easy it goes onto the center stand concidering it's 595 lbs dry.

Is pretty rough though and 57K miles on clock. Needs and wants some LUV for sure!! :P

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 08 Oct 2011 19:15 #482065

• Motor Head
  • User
Snowed here today. So I got the seat recovered, that looks pretty good for the contour. With no seams all one piece of fabric, I never got to use my 62 Singer Industrial machine, and it is hard to get the material tight with the steep up slope at the front. Then the base is plastic, so Staples and glue hood it in place on the underside. Bought the best hand Arrow gun at home-depot, and it sinks about 1/2 of them. You have to pull some back out and try again. A pneumatic one would be better for this. Took off the saddlebags and mocked up the side body panels, and replaced the broken rear fender, again plastic. Glued up some cracks in the front fender, and the front fairing. Then tried out the cheap HF plastic welder/ soldering Iron. Between the glue, and the plastic weld, those cracks are pretty strong. Then once the bike is going well, I can think about doing all the prep for painting. Looks like Kawasaki 603 Candy Persimmon Red is an expensive redo, back to oem. So I'll cheat and do a cheaper paint when the time comes. The Tank is the worst of it as it has several large dents in it. No pictures today, with the cold the garage door is down, not much light in there for pictures.
Still waiting on parts, looks like Wednesday, then maybe I can get it running.

Oh and the windshield was terrible, not cracked, jut yellow from being outside under some trees. Covered in sap and looked like crap. So I used a car once a year polish that I buff clear coats with. I worked wonders, and the only noticeable bad spot is where there was a DOD sticker. Its glue actually ate into the plastic, leaving a rectangular scar.

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 11 Oct 2011 23:34 #482661

• Motor Head
  • User
Well the parts showed up today. Got the Airbox back on with the new boots. Checked the Fuel levels, put the New Expensive O-rings on the float bowls and Fired it up. Started right off, and ran great. No smoke no unusual noises etc. Warmed it good then changed oil, Delo 400. Re-started and played with the Mix screws a tad, and it Idles smooth. Lots more to do, body work, Fork seals, change rar shock oil, etc. With the change in the weather, I can't decide on paying the Rego and Insurance now, just to have it sit all winter. Here in Colorado it has to be Insured to get Rego, and there is no Seasonal Rego. So I want to take for a spin, but haven't decided on the Fees yet.
Lot of broken, cracked plastic, so this has been a cheap but good tool: www.harborfreight.com/plastic-welding-ki...watt-iron-67102.html

There were broken tabs on the fairing where it would have a U-speed nut, 5 in all. With this a piece of metal screen, then the melted rod over it. Comes up real strong. Re-drill and place the U-speed nut, bolt up.
Attachments:

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 12 Oct 2011 10:57 #482741

• Motor Head
  • User
Another set of Gauges is showing up this afternoon, the clear lens and the surround both are cracked on the one that came on the bike. The parts were available but expensive through Kawasaki, so a good used Feebay set was Much cheaper. Also while the clock worked and seemed to keep time, I couldn't Set it.
Then doing this simple mod to relocate the coolant bottle, < $10, as it is in the worst place, in under the engine at the lowest point on the bike. Hidden by the front lower fairing, although there is an access hole. PITA, stupid stuff, they are in a better place on the new 1400. www.zggtr.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=31kdu5...pd2mguh3&topic=964.0
That AGM battery is better, and starts it right up, but there is little reserve in it. Kill the Ignition and do several cranks and dead. Looks like a new one is in order.
Looking for a decent used fuel tank, as this one is dented pretty bad, and rusty inside. Not really worth the time and effort, God the paint is expensive to do the 603 Persimmon Candy Red.