Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 01 Nov 2011 22:35 #486596

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
The bags look really nice now!

Be sure to post the finished brake work and test report.
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 01 Nov 2011 22:52 #486604

• Motor Head
  • Motor Head's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391

KZ_Rage wrote: The bags look really nice now!

Be sure to post the finished brake work and test report.

Oh will do, I can't wait to try it. I got your stuff a couple of days ago, then more stuff from Z1 today. But the Pads for the front, and one more part won't be here for several more days. Supposed to Snow again tonight and tomorrow, so won't miss much.
I really like those Bar risers, can't tell what the foot peg set back/ lowers will be like till I ride it.
But yea those breaks that were on the bike were toast. Front caliper pistons worked OK, but the slides were stuck. Pads look like they might of had fork oil on one side. Rear was all working, just not much pad left.
All EBC HH will give a huge difference, then with the 4 spots, and more contact, should be one easy finger on the lever. B)
Thanks again for the stuff KZ_RAGE, :)
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Last edit: by Motor Head.

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 07 Nov 2011 14:47 #487434

• Motor Head
  • User
OK, I'm looking at this for a Voltmeter, I think I can actually take the old Gauge Clusters Clock Housing and attach it to the current housing, then mount this into it. As the Dash with the clock, it is above the main cluster on the right, sorta way off center. Thought it might look OK with two of these, one with this DCV meter, and the other with clock. Or maybe just ditch the clock and do the meter in its place?
Anyway has anyone ordered from this company? As the Shopping Cart Check-out looks sorta like 1990. I don't see any Pad-lock or other secure Info.
www.futurlec.com/Panel_Meters.shtml

Well I sent them an email to the sales dept, and no reply, so that's a No Go.

So I found this similar one, but a bit different size, smaller read out.
www.virtualvillage.com/red-dc-20v-digita...-15v-001490-067.html
At least they are up to speed on the Structure of a Website.

So I just ordered that one, found a coupon on-line from retailmenot, and that dropped the price.

Ordered last night, and this morning shipping confirmation, all with a PayPal checkout. The site has aLot of other stuff, Cheap.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
Attachments:

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 10 Nov 2011 10:20 #487862

• Motor Head
  • User
Well I finally got the one piece I was waiting on to ride the Concours again. So first test of the Brakes was in 40 degrees yesterday, just around the block several times seating in the pads. Did several firm stops from 35+ to get some heat in them. Only used 2 fingers on the lever, and the braking is much better than before. But my old front stuff was shot, so It would be interesting to do the swap on one which has good Stock Fronts. One of the Concours guys lives nearby and wants to do his, so in a while that will happen. I gave him a Feebay link for a set of calipers. $25 shipped. His are on the way.
This bike was one fitted from Kaw with the Fuel Vapor recovery system, Charcoal Canister, someone had removed it. The garage keep smelling like fuel, but there was definitely No leak. So I went back up to Steeles Cycle in Denver, and got a recovery system off of another Kaw, Ninja. That took care of that smell. Strange, non of the other bikes smell, much anyway, open breathers on the dirt bikes.
Oh I had a look at the plug wires when I did the First servicing, and they were really stiff. Manufactured in 89. I've been considering the options, but in the mean time still felt like these needed replacing. So off to O'Rielys for some stock replacement 7mm solid core. 4' was more than enough, and only a couple of bucks. That's good for now,as I see what other route to go. Probably Dyna's by next summer.
Looks like a ride come Sunday, another couple Hundred +, so that will test those new brakes some more.
I've also got a taller shield coming, as I get wind directly on my head, noisy buffeting wind. Stock is 19" this one is 25" tall, and 2" wider.

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 10 Nov 2011 11:07 #487865

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
no need for a plasma to lighten /open them brackets up.
a big drill bit or the right sized bi-metal hole saw could remove some weight and create some nice features.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 10 Nov 2011 11:20 #487866

• Motor Head
  • User

531blackbanshee wrote: no need for a plasma to lighten /open them brackets up.
a big drill bit or the right sized bi-metal hole saw could remove some weight and create some nice features.

leon

Yes I even had the Bit out, and started looking at doing patterns. Then the OXY again, then I decided to just put them on for now anyway. They are not really seen much as they go behind the caliper, I've seen some that go out front and are very visible. I may look into getting another process set up, as there is some interest in the brackets. This as you would know takes a bit of time to do 1 set. I guess some don't have the tools for even these simple ones. Laser cut outs would be the Trick. I might price locally just to see how much, and per so many sets, materials, etc.
Be real easy for guy like you I'm sure of it. You do some really, really nice work.

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 10 Nov 2011 11:39 #487868

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
thanks for the kind words MotorHead.

you should check around for water jet,laser,or cnc plasma because it seems like you may have enough interest to have a few sets cut out.
you have the template now :lol: .
i have a buddy that laser cuts stuff for me.

but i hate to have to wait on them to be done :( :silly: .
i can wait much better if i am the one doing the work :laugh: .

me and my dad have been talking about maybe getting a concourse 1000,so i am watching your post with interest.

thanks for being so thorough in your write ups.

leon
1976 kz 900 x 3

Last edit: by 531blackbanshee.

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 10 Nov 2011 11:45 #487869

• Motor Head
  • User
I would suggest getting one, or two if the deals come along. Both you and your Dad would like the bike, and then there's no fighting over it. Plus it's a Kawasaki!! :woohoo:
I would love to ride on of the newer 1400's. But to rich for my blood. I like Cheap Deals. Sub $500 then I buy them. This one has been better than expected, so far. :whistle:

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 10 Nov 2011 12:06 #487874

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
there is the old "i don't really know anything about them" nagging in the back of my head.

but,your post are making feel better about them.i have seen some around,but not smokin deals.
yet :) .

leon
1976 kz 900 x 3

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 10 Nov 2011 12:21 #487877

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19

Motor Head wrote: I really like those Bar risers, can't tell what the foot peg set back/ lowers will be like till I ride it. Thanks again for the stuff KZ_RAGE, :)

You're very welcome for the parts, glad you were able to use them!

The risers do help a bit with the feel and comfort of the bike. The peg lowers will really help if you have a long inseam (32"+) on long rides. Be aware though that you might drag the pegs a little easier but all you have to do is to keep your wits about you as it has a drag pin on the bottom of the stock peg anyway.
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 10 Nov 2011 12:32 #487879

• Motor Head
  • User

KZ_Rage wrote:

Motor Head wrote: I really like those Bar risers, can't tell what the foot peg set back/ lowers will be like till I ride it. Thanks again for the stuff KZ_RAGE, :)

You're very welcome for the parts, glad you were able to use them!

The risers do help a bit with the feel and comfort of the bike. The peg lowers will really help if you have a long inseam (32"+) on long rides. Be aware though that you might drag the pegs a little easier but all you have to do is to keep your wits about you as it has a drag pin on the bottom of the stock peg anyway.

Yes just the quick ride yesterday the riding position was more upright, and the Knees less bent.
Also the bar risers let two other things happen,1 the stock little lid for the right cubby hole on the fairing actually opens all the way, 2 the clearance between the bars and tank corners is much greater. So when I either fix this tank, or get a replacement, I won't be thinking about hitting it.

1990 Concours, Just Purchased Now 10 Nov 2011 15:48 #487910

• Motor Head
  • User
Just did another 30mi Testing those brake upgrades, that is definitely the way to go. It was, for me anyway, a really inexpensive upgrade. Now the stopping power is so great I can lift the rear tire. I only need 1 finger on the front, for normal riding. Maybe 2 If you were pushing hard, but I don't push to hard. Don't like the idea of grinding into the road surface, Me mostly but not the bike I'm on either.
These would be an easy upgrade for a dual or single front on a KZ as well. Some of you have no doubt done it. There are several companies that sell different brackets. I couldn't find a current supplier for the early forked Concours. It changes in 94, and then there are brackets out there.