• GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
Re-reading the entire thread, I've answered my own question. :blink:
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

turbo project 10 Dec 2006 08:28 #98676

• wireman
  • wireman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
CoreyClough wrote:

Re-reading the entire thread, I've answered my own question. :blink:

z1 frames are about as rigid as those balsa wood and rubber band airlpanes we used to buy when we were kids :P in the 1st picture it had a 900 bottem end and an 13:1 1197 topend fortunately i saved the brakes and frontend from that 1st z1 i built many years before ,that rear disc saved my ass couple times!:evil: it was hard enough to control with that motor,there was no way in hell i was gonna turn the monster motor loose in a stock frame!:P

turbo project 10 Dec 2006 16:27 #98820

• wireman
  • Visitor

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/12/10 19:33solomrus was right,cereal boxes are the bomb for making templates for gussets:P

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/12/10 19:37
Attachments:

turbo project 10 Dec 2006 16:34 #98822

• wireman
  • Visitor
heres the templates we're experimenting with beefing up the gusset under steering head and tying it into downtubes better,we also cut 2 pieces of tubing to go between downtubes above and below front motor mounts.you can also see top motor mount idea we are screwing with,i figure its a lot easier to experiment with the cardboard instead of cutting and welding a bunch of stuff that dont work!:evil:

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/12/10 19:44
Attachments:

turbo project 10 Dec 2006 16:34 #98824

• wireman
  • Visitor
Attachments:

turbo project 10 Dec 2006 16:35 #98825

• wireman
  • Visitor
im thinking about making the top motor mounts out of 1/4" stainless steel they will bolt in place of the smog covers on the valve covers and will bolt on under lower back bone tubes on frame above motor im going to to have a piece of plate cut and bent to bolt between stock coil mounts to tie the tubes together.im thinking between all the extra gussets and braces and top motor mounts this should be a fairly bulletproof frame once its all done and welded up.all the nasty looking stock welds are being ground out and rewelded also;)

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/12/10 19:54
Attachments:

turbo project 10 Dec 2006 16:35 #98826

• wireman
  • Visitor
one half of a rear shock gusset held on with the handymans other secret weapon,electrical tape!:evil:

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/12/10 20:41
Attachments:

turbo project 10 Dec 2006 17:02 #98836

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Keep all that good stuff coming!:evil: :evil:
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

turbo project 10 Dec 2006 20:12 #98904

• solomrus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
good, you did take pics of what you did today. was wondering about that.

we're gonna jam a bunch of this tuesday night. we have a few pieces ready to go in, but this stage is going a little slower, as we're working around other systems at this point.

i'm thinking that all the front gussets will be ready tuesday, and i really want to get the front cross supports done and ready to tack in.

in regards to where and how much, wire and i have been checking out that a-magic.com site, and some other links online. a couple weeks ago, i scored a japanese bike tuner magazine that happened to be the *frame* issue. tons of good info on where and what all should be done.

you can see what they are doing in the pics, but there is a LOT of text... and i don't read kanjii... i need to find someone to translate. 8^)

i have some more pics that i am pulling from our camera tonight. i'll post them up in a little bit.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

turbo project 10 Dec 2006 20:33 #98910

• solomrus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
some more pics.

please pardon my swingarm on there... i wanted to make sure it fit, and wire's frame was handy. 8^)

--r

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/01/01 15:52
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

turbo project 10 Dec 2006 20:36 #98911

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
wireman wrote

im thinking about making the top motor mounts out of 1/4" stainless steel they will bolt in place of the smog covers on the valve covers and will bolt on under lower back bone tubes on frame above motor im going to to have a piece of plate cut and bent to bolt between stock coil mounts to tie the tubes together.im thinking between all the extra gussets and braces and top motor mounts this should be a fairly bulletproof frame once its all done and welded up.all the nasty looking stock welds are being ground out and rewelded also

Aren't those just 5m machine screws holding the smog covers down? Are you sure they're enough (yeah, I know there's eight of them, but still...)? I'm trying to imagine the forces that could be applied through these bolts, and I'm thinking that 4 of the 8 are actually hold down bolts for the cam cover. You could end up with a leaking cam cover gasket, at the very least. Just something to think about.
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

turbo project 10 Dec 2006 21:55 #98918

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
pstrbrc wrote:

Aren't those just 5m machine screws holding the smog covers down? Are you sure they're enough (yeah, I know there's eight of them, but still...)? I'm trying to imagine the forces that could be applied through these bolts, and I'm thinking that 4 of the 8 are actually hold down bolts for the cam cover. You could end up with a leaking cam cover gasket, at the very least. Just something to think about.

Just remember this is an extra motor mount, just for that extra bit of stiffness to someplace that wouldnt be mounted to anything at all normally. My thoughts are that it should help hold the head down on the block where lots of big blocks normally leak....
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH