Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

turbo project 11 Dec 2006 13:38 #99052

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
Keep up the good work.B)
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

turbo project 11 Dec 2006 16:17 #99074

• wireman
  • wireman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
pstrbrc wrote:

wireman wrote

im thinking about making the top motor mounts out of 1/4" stainless steel they will bolt in place of the smog covers on the valve covers and will bolt on under lower back bone tubes on frame above motor im going to to have a piece of plate cut and bent to bolt between stock coil mounts to tie the tubes together.im thinking between all the extra gussets and braces and top motor mounts this should be a fairly bulletproof frame once its all done and welded up.all the nasty looking stock welds are being ground out and rewelded also

Aren't those just 5m machine screws holding the smog covers down? Are you sure they're enough (yeah, I know there's eight of them, but still...)? I'm trying to imagine the forces that could be applied through these bolts, and I'm thinking that 4 of the 8 are actually hold down bolts for the cam cover. You could end up with a leaking cam cover gasket, at the very least. Just something to think about.

yep ive already been thinking about that problem and how to solve it,this idea has been rolling from one side of my head to the other for close to 20 years :P

turbo project 16 Dec 2006 10:04 #99989

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
77kz650 wrote:

Just remember this is an extra motor mount, just for that extra bit of stiffness to someplace that wouldnt be mounted to anything at all normally. My thoughts are that it should help hold the head down on the block where lots of big blocks normally leak....

No, actually, this isn't being used as an extra motor mount, it's actually being used as an extra FRAME mount. That is, he's trying to use the engine as a stressed member of the frame, to brace the frame better, not hold the engine better. So, the concern is, when the frame tries to flex, how much force will be pushing/pulling/shearing on those itty bitty 5m bolts? What's most likely to happen is that the frame flexing even a few thousanths will cause MORE leakage of the cam covers, not less!!!!!! Worst case scenario is that it will fracture the aluminum cam cover. that's bad. Very bad.
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

turbo project 17 Dec 2006 19:55 #100192

• wireman
  • Visitor
nothing is set in stone on those top mounts by any means its just an idea i had way back when ,and doing it this way im out nothing but a couple pieces of cardboard and a little time(and ive got lots of that!:P )i wish i could get a close up of the top motormount on that drop dead wow yellow z1 turbo in z1 gallery! :evil: :P

turbo project 20 Dec 2006 18:07 #100799

• Bad Kaw
  • User
  • Flying Squirell
  • Thank you received: 13
77KZ650 wrote:

Keep all that good stuff coming!:evil: :evil:
Scott

Yeah man, what he said!:woohoo:
78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

turbo project 27 Dec 2006 15:12 #102065

• solomrus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
got a few more gussest ready to weld on today, and two lower x-bars ready to go in.

probably have some progress pics in the next day or two.

8^)

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

turbo project 27 Dec 2006 17:15 #102093

• wireman
  • Visitor
pictures,we need pictures!:P i got stuck trying to finish up one of my other money pit projects then tonight i got a boiler fiasco dumped on me tonight i thought no big deal fill with water and light it no big deal as i was bleeding the air out of one of the radiators water started spraying me in face ,cracked radiator uh oh 3 more cracked radiators!doh:S so much for simple!:P anybody ever try brasing a cast iron radiator?low pressure just hot water no steam;)

turbo project 30 Dec 2006 18:34 #102543

• 900cows
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Wireman,nice Project!Just a thought here,how bout drilling holes below both gas tank mounting rubbers,(don`t know if it will interfere w/ anything tho)making long spacer, w/long bolt,nut welded on one side.That would tie the two bracket assemblies together almost midway down,eliminating a big part of the stress each bracket down at the head has to endure.I think it will be another avenue for the viberating harmonics to park there butts. Sort of like a dog bone on high tension lines,were line hooks to insulaters. JUST A THOUGHT. Keep up the cool project,talk at cha. (P.S. might be able to go 6mm on two of the bolts on each side tho.)

turbo project 01 Jan 2007 12:00 #102808

• wireman
  • Visitor
yeah thats another possibility,its an ever evolving idea.thank god for cardboard,its easy to modify!:P

turbo project 05 Jan 2007 18:42 #103640

• big mike
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
on the radyator try bronz silicon or is it silicon bronz you can tig it then i have fixed ex manafolds for cars and little cracks in turbo stuff to try it lol

turbo project 05 Jan 2007 19:00 #103644

• wireman
  • Visitor
marine epoxy worked really good,only 15 psi on system!:P

turbo project 07 Jan 2007 18:16 #104036

• wireman
  • Visitor
well i just sent off a message to falicon about some crank work.the wife and kids are going to florida for a week and leaving me here,so i think im gonna spend some money on a supercrank and rods:evil: