Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 03 Aug 2022 07:58 #871597

• calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 383
Can someone tell me if the liquid gasket that is supposed to go around the four cylinder studs (back, middle) just needs to fill the holes or whether it needs to set under pressure? Basically I'm asking if I can put the block on before I get the head back from the engine guy (need some space on the shelf). I assume it's used as the threads for the studs go through into the crankcase and the liquid gasket is just there to stop any oil seeping through. This doesn't even seem necessary but I can't think of any other reason.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 05 Aug 2022 11:51 #871727

• calum
  • User
Still waiting on parts for my other build so just doing what I can here until they're ready. I got the block on today and finished the last of the polishing. Can pick up the head on Monday so I'll be able to put a lid on the engine before I go away at the end of next week. 
I flipped the front forks around as well - I had mounted them backwards as I forgot that the A1 has the calipers mounted on the front of the forks. That meant that the forks weren't polished around the caliper mounts as I figured they wouldn't be visible. I cleaned them up but ended up polishing the forks a bit more than I wanted. Doesn't matter too much on this build so I'll leave them as they are. They're somewhere in the middle of mirror finish and stock.

Attachments:

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 05 Aug 2022 12:43 #871732

• howardhb
  • Sustaining Member
  • God, I trust
  • Thank you received: 431
Lookin' mighty fine!

H.
'81 GPz 550 D1 Click this link: www.kzrider.com/gallery/kz-550/1981-gpz550d1-9094#joomimg
'81 GPz 1100 B1 ELR "Tribute" www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/617040-1981-gpz1100-b1-rst
'82 Yamaha YB100 Fizzie
'79 Suzuki GT200 X5 TWO STROKE TWIN - SMOKER!
The following user(s) said Thank You: calum

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 05 Aug 2022 18:09 #871747

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
Before you bolt your head on. I would check your head gasket placement. If you are using O.E.M. Kawasaki head gaskets the folded edge of the steel ring in the head gasket should face upward. Looking at your photo, it looks like the head gaskets have the wrong side facing upward. If they are aftermarket head gaskets maybe those gaskets are not made like the factory Kawasaki head gaskets and don't have that folded over lip like the factory head gaskets do........ 

Photo from factory Kawasaki shop manual.

Photo of O.E.M. Kawasaki head gaskets The folded edge is the lower of the two gaskets pictured.

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: kzstreetfighter71, DOHC, calum

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma.

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 05 Aug 2022 18:27 #871748

• calum
  • User
Thanks for the heads up. They are Vesrah gaskets and there was nothing on them indicating which way is up. I have already sent an e-mail off to the guy I got the gasket kit from to find out which way they need to be mounted. I'm pretty sure the steel ring was the same on both sides but I'll have another look tomorrow.

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 06 Aug 2022 12:24 #871777

• calum
  • User
Left hand covers on today. Clutch release looks to be in good condition so no need to upgrade it for the moment. Checked the head gasket, the rings are the same on both sides.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: kzstreetfighter71

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 06 Aug 2022 17:20 #871783

• blackozvet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 79

Still waiting on parts for my other build so just doing what I can here until they're ready. I got the block on today and finished the last of the polishing. Can pick up the head on Monday so I'll be able to put a lid on the engine before I go away at the end of next week. 
I flipped the front forks around as well - I had mounted them backwards as I forgot that the A1 has the calipers mounted on the front of the forks. That meant that the forks weren't polished around the caliper mounts as I figured they wouldn't be visible. I cleaned them up but ended up polishing the forks a bit more than I wanted. Doesn't matter too much on this build so I'll leave them as they are. They're somewhere in the middle of mirror finish and stock.

I actually like that tappet cover look, thinking about doing that with mine.
1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 09 Aug 2022 01:27 #871909

• calum
  • User

I actually like that tappet cover look, thinking about doing that with mine.

I'm pretty sure that was the stock look - at least all the restorations I've seen have polished the caps and left the rest untouched.

Last edit: by calum.

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 10 Aug 2022 09:33 #871980

• calum
  • User
Picked up the head yesterday. Put it on but it's not bolted down - it's just on so I can close up the engine while I am away for the next couple of weeks.

Threads have been repaired. Should hold for a while...

Attachments:

Last edit: by calum.

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 16 Aug 2022 14:40 #872356

• calum
  • User
I made an inquiry about getting the brake calipers and master cylinders powder coated. I asked if they could coat the middle of the discs as well. I wasn't sure if the heat would be a problem for the discs but they said they will be fine. Still thought I'd get a second (and third, ...) opinion here before I send them off. Will the discs be OK in the oven?

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 16 Aug 2022 15:08 #872357

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1772

I made an inquiry about getting the brake calipers and master cylinders powder coated. I asked if they could coat the middle of the discs as well. I wasn't sure if the heat would be a problem for the discs but they said they will be fine. Still thought I'd get a second (and third, ...) opinion here before I send them off. Will the discs be OK in the oven?
I would think they would be fine, I have painted them before without issue. The heat shouldn't harm the discs, under heavy braking they achieve extremely high temperatures very quickly. Don't coat the surface that sits against the wheel though as it will cause disc runout and could cause pad "knock back"

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 16 Aug 2022 15:18 #872358

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1896
The powder coating heat is only 200 C°/30 minutes, so you are on the save side for the steel rotor but the alu carrier...Who knows more about....?

Last edit: by Scirocco.