Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Phoenix Fighter 06 Jun 2016 13:35 #730317

• kaw-a-holic
  • kaw-a-holic's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248

kaw-a-holic wrote: So I get to join the ranks of installing Helicoils in cam cap towers. 20 steps back to make one step forward. :pinch: I knew it was just a matter of time with as many times as I have had the cams in and out. :blink:

On a positive note I did resolve my oil pressure issue. I found the screen clogged with what seems to be chewed paper towel :unsure: :whistle: . Since I had it torn apart I pulled the pump apart, it was in good shape. I did replace the paper gasket with a super thin foil gasket. I shouldn't have any issues with the oil pressure now.
I will also be adding an electric fan with thermostat control to my oil cooler. It will turn on in the 180-190 range and off in the 160-170 range.

So I spent all Friday afternoon installing all 16 Helicoils. They were not all bad but each one of them had issues on the top threads. I also opted to replace all 16 bolts to make sure there would not be any issues in the future. I also decided to do a little bit of head work to the intake side while the head was off. My brother said I did a great job on the porting but theven bottom half of the intake was to smooth so I am going to rough it up a bit with some 30 grit.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Phoenix Fighter 06 Jun 2016 14:27 #730324

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37
Great call Jon, you don't want the metal "too smooth" as it doesn't help produce the "Swirl" and atomization to help with combustion and even burn. Look at professionally CNC ported V8 heads such as Air Flow Research or even Edelbrock... there is a fair bit of tooth left for that very purpose. Very nice job and congrats on such a righteous piece my friend :woohoo:

Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

Phoenix Fighter 06 Jun 2016 17:28 #730343

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

Irish-Kawi wrote: Great call Jon, you don't want the metal "too smooth" as it doesn't help produce the "Swirl" and atomization to help with combustion and even burn. Look at professionally CNC ported V8 heads such as Air Flow Research or even Edelbrock... there is a fair bit of tooth left for that very purpose. Very nice job and congrats on such a righteous piece my friend :woohoo:

Brett

Thanks Brett. They were to smooth because when I ported them I did not want to accidentally remove to much material so I used 80 grit rolls for the shaping. Nothing that some 30 grit by hand won't correct. The bike ran great the way that it was but these last tweaks should really make a difference. Correcting the intake floors will make a bigger difference now as the cam I am installing is more for top end. I wish it wasn't 120 degrees in my garage so I could get some work done.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Phoenix Fighter 06 Jun 2016 17:35 #730344

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Too bad you live so far away, I got an extra A/C unit you can have. :unsure:
Steve

Phoenix Fighter 06 Jun 2016 21:15 #730363

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

swest wrote: Too bad you live so far away, I got an extra A/C unit you can have. :unsure:
Steve

Thanks Steve. I have a portable AC unit in the garage but by the time it cools down in there its to late to work. In a couple of weeks I will be moving into my new house which has insulation above the garage, it will be much easier to cool. I will have the bike back together this weekend when I can work in the AM.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Phoenix Fighter 06 Jun 2016 21:27 #730366

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Being my house is a man cave I've been tempted to ride Bossie into the living room. Haven't done it yet but thought about it many times. :lol:
Steve

Phoenix Fighter 10 Jun 2016 19:12 #730885

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

Street Fighter LTD wrote:

kaw-a-holic wrote:

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Keep up the good work Jon !!!!!
Im watching the whole project , but I am interested on how the oil cooler and fan work together as I will be doing something like that in my belly pan
Dave B) B) B)

Thanks Dave, let me fill in some blanks for you. I am using a nontraditional oil cooler, a B&M Super Cooler,

I will be using this aluminum ball bearing fan behind it

The fan will be controlled by this inline Thermal Switch Assembly for AN Hose you can get one that turns on at 180 or 190

It is very easy to wire, switched power to thermal switch -> to fan power lead ->fan ground lead to chassis.

Should be a pretty clean install.

OH Yea Jon, You really got it going on Bro !! :P

Thanks for the insight

Dave B) B) B)

Got this partially installed today. Still waiting on one of the two fans I ordered. Sorry for the side ways pic.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
Attachments:

Last edit: by kaw-a-holic.

Phoenix Fighter 11 Jun 2016 06:44 #730924

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
I'm pretty convinced that you musta' been a brain surgeon in a previous life Jon. Everything you do on your bike is so clean and meticulously done. I find it inspiring to try and be more ... um? OCD about building my old machines B)

Funny but I only just now realized that your frame is silver. Don't know why this didn't register before but I seriously came -> this <- close to painting KZombie with a silver frame then backed out at the last minute.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kaw-a-holic

Phoenix Fighter 11 Jun 2016 07:35 #730932

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

wrenchmonkey wrote: I'm pretty convinced that you musta' been a brain surgeon in a previous life Jon. Everything you do on your bike is so clean and meticulously done. I find it inspiring to try and be more ... um? OCD about building my old machines B)

Funny but I only just now realized that your frame is silver. Don't know why this didn't register before but I seriously came -> this <- close to painting KZombie with a silver frame then backed out at the last minute.

Thanks Wrench, nowhere near brain surgeon but I do a ton of Internet research. It usually pays off. I am not afraid to adapt automotive technology to bikes.
As for the paint scheme, it took for ever to decide, drove my wife crazy talking about it. Eventually I decide to blend as much of the old school with the new school as I could. In the end the combination turned out well.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Phoenix Fighter 12 Jun 2016 23:54 #731164

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
Finally got my cams dialed in last night. Please take my advise if you are going to do this download OMR's guide. I literally wasted 6 hours adjusting and readjusting because I thought Webcams' instructions would be better, they weren't. The only thing I did different is that I used the #4 cylinder so my order was a little different. Aside from the set-up it is all very basic.
The set-up takes way longer than the actual timing. I could not get mine perfect. Trust me I tried. The motion pro timing wheel was not accurate enough for me to get it dead nuts because you would have to record down to .25°. I did the best I could and can guarantee it is better than just dropping them in there. I bought a digital gauge from Harbor Freight for $35, well worth it be cause you can zero out the gauge. The other thing that helped with accuracy was to tighten the chain tensioner, not crazy tight but a little tighter than I would run the motor at.

I have a couple of other things to do and I will get you guys a new video of the fire up with the new cams and my fan set up.

It's late and 5am comes early, over and out.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Last edit: by kaw-a-holic.

Phoenix Fighter 13 Aug 2016 02:31 #738474

• Wiers
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi Jon,
It took me a couple of hours the read trough the whole 40 pages but it was wel worth the time.
I am glad you got everything sorted out in the end and can enjoy riding it.
There are to many builds which took to long and are abanded (or sold the bike in frustration).
Great that you persisted and finished the project. (Also for all of us following your progress :) )
Fantastic build and another inspiration for me.

Eric

Phoenix Fighter 13 Aug 2016 09:40 #738521

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

Wiers wrote: Hi Jon,
It took me a couple of hours the read trough the whole 40 pages but it was wel worth the time.
I am glad you got everything sorted out in the end and can enjoy riding it.
There are to many builds which took to long and are abanded (or sold the bike in frustration).
Great that you persisted and finished the project. (Also for all of us following your progress :) )
Fantastic build and another inspiration for me.

Eric

Eric, I'm glad you enjoyed it, thank you for the kind words. The bike is still not finished. I moved recently to a new house and my garage got put in the bottom of the priority list.

I still have my custom triple trees to complete. We were printinterested out the triple trees on the 3D printer and broke a bracket for the feeding system.

I also have brackets for my fans to finish and mounting of two new rear blinkers.

It needs to be 100% complete for the Distinguished Gentleman's ride in the end of September.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project