Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

WOOO HOOO KZ650 Candy Emerald Green. All done with Repaint! 07 Apr 2023 14:43 #882623

• DanMadBoy
  • DanMadBoy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 14
MOST OF THE TANK WORK IS FINISHED. The shop EXACTLY matched the Candy Emerald Green from 1977 and its DONE. And yes, the pinstriping is UNDER the clear. Pics in order from start to finish:

Attachments:
Last edit: by DanMadBoy.
The topic has been locked.

WOOO HOOO KZ650 Candy Emerald Green. All done with Repaint! 07 Apr 2023 16:03 #882629

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1792
Looks good but can you please try and keep to one thread per topic
The following user(s) said Thank You: 82KZ305Belt, DanMadBoy

WOOO HOOO KZ650 Candy Emerald Green. All done with Repaint! 07 Apr 2023 16:18 #882631

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2622
Top stripe doesn't look the same.

Attachments:
Last edit: by SWest.

WOOO HOOO KZ650 Candy Emerald Green. All done with Repaint! 07 Apr 2023 16:23 #882632

• DanMadBoy
  • User is blocked

Top stripe doesn't look the same.

The top stripe on the old tank is sun faded because the clear coat was pretty much all gone. The shininess comes from the carnuba wax I put on it, not clear coat. Over time the green turned to light blue.  The stripes on the new tank are the correct colors for the tank and I got them from diablo. Thanks though!

Attachments:

WOOO HOOO KZ650 Candy Emerald Green. All done with Repaint! 07 Apr 2023 16:33 #882633

• DanMadBoy
  • User is blocked

Looks good but can you please try and keep to one thread per topic

Will do. Thanks for the guidance!

WOOO HOOO KZ650 Candy Emerald Green. All done with Repaint! 08 Apr 2023 03:23 #882660

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 656
Your tank is definately not finished. Your painter is not familiar with painting bikes and appears to have painted the top seal edge on the tank. Your need to strip that back or fuel will get under the base coat and your paint job will lift and be trash very very quickly. 
The top lip of the tank needs to be bare metal to prevent this from happening.
Also the tank stripes should stop at the front seam and not go right to the edge. 

Original "J" tank paint. 

​​​​​​

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Attachments:
Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

WOOO HOOO KZ650 Candy Emerald Green. All done with Repaint! 08 Apr 2023 05:11 #882664

• DanMadBoy
  • User is blocked

Your tank is definately not finished. Your painter is not familiar with painting bikes and appears to have painted the top seal edge on the tank. Your need to strip that back or fuel will get under the base coat and your paint job will lift and be trash very very quickly. 
The top lip of the tank needs to be bare metal to prevent this from happening.
Also the tank stripes should stop at the front seam and not go right to the edge. 

Original "J" tank paint. 

My post says MOST of the tank work is finished, NOT all of it.

Regarding the fuel cap, Scirroco said this

"Dont paint the fuel tank opening and fuel cap gasket surface or the E5/10 fuel will destroy the fresh paint like a paint stripper. You need a small bare steel barrier where the fuel can vaporised before it get in contact with the fresh paint! "

Its an easy matter to strip back that paint.

Also, i asked him to take the stripes ALL THE WAY to the end, for my own reasons. I wanted a great paint job with the color being close to the original, and I got it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

WOOO HOOO KZ650 Candy Emerald Green. All done with Repaint! 08 Apr 2023 06:10 #882666

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
Isn't it good practice to NOT wax a new paint job for a month or so ?
I was told by my painters  to allow the paint to cure and dry  before sealing it with wax.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

WOOO HOOO KZ650 Candy Emerald Green. All done with Repaint! 08 Apr 2023 06:10 #882667

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 277
Looks great .  Great price .  
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

WOOO HOOO KZ650 Candy Emerald Green. All done with Repaint! 08 Apr 2023 06:30 #882671

• DanMadBoy
  • User is blocked

Looks great .  Great price .  

Thanks! Im super impressed with the work the painter did and yeah, the price was great. It was actually 650 and comes to about 705 with tax included.

WOOO HOOO KZ650 Candy Emerald Green. All done with Repaint! 08 Apr 2023 06:34 #882672

• DanMadBoy
  • User is blocked

Isn't it good practice to NOT wax a new paint job for a month or so ?
I was told by my painters  to allow the paint to cure and dry  before sealing it with wax.

I waxed the OLD tank not the NEW:

SWest said the stripes on the new tank are not the same color as on the old tank.

I explained to him that the OLD TANK, though shiny looking because i used Carnuba Wax on it, no longer had a real clear coat on it. The lack of clear coat caused the green stripe to turn light blue, which is why the old stripes on the old tank dont match the new stock stripes on the new tank.

I did not and would not wax the new tank so early after painting.  Its best to wait longer than a month to do wax after painting. When I had my 1962 Chevy Impala Super Sport painted a year ago, I was told to wait  at least 2 months, maybe 3.
Attachments:

WOOO HOOO KZ650 Candy Emerald Green. All done with Repaint! 08 Apr 2023 06:35 #882673

• ronnieV
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 293
Looks nice Dan. Show us when it's on the bike. 
77 ltd1000 80 ltd1000 78kz1000a ,02 red zrx 12r, 94 cb1000 big one ,03 valkyrie (my couch) 65 olds 442