Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 26 Mar 2023 03:33 #882007

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1468

No special potions needed.
Once cleaned out just fit and fill the tank with fuel asap and keep it topped up.
If the tank is going to sit empty a while then simply pour in some thin oil and rotate the tank until the inside is coated.
Both tried and trusted, simple and effective methods that have served many well since the invention of the motorcycle.

Evaporust needs to be water rinsed, and that's when the flash rusting occurs.  I'm not so sure about putting gas in the tank unless it's dry, unless you are going to use the gas to flush out any water, and if so, there are better products. 

I use alcohol right after the water rinse, dump it out, then hit the tank with WD-40, and compressed air.
I know that but i personally don't use evoporust type water rinse products anyway and no where did i state filling it with fuel without the tank being dry..
I use solvent, acid based or mechanical methods that don't need water rinsing , swill out with alcohol and finish off with the air line.
Despite that, flash rusting isn't before your very eyes instantaneous so whatever method . water rinse or not , is used as long as it's flushed immediately and quickly swilled with whatever alcohol of your choice and then either fitted and filled with fuel or coated in oil or whatever the rust won't be an issue..
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 26 Mar 2023 08:02 #882011

• Kelly E
  • User
  • Never Give Up. Never Surrender
  • Thank you received: 306
We use EvapoRust to clean the tanks. When it is done we skip the water rinse and go straight to rinsing with diesel. The diesel will pick up the water and sludge. Shake the crap out of it. Dump the diesel out into a clear jug. In a couple of minutes the sludge and water will settle to the bottom. Carefully dump the diesel back in for another round and dump the sludge. Several rounds and the tank will be clean and it is good to use or store because of the diesel coating the inside. Any residual diesel will have no effect when you fill up the tank with gas and run the bike.
We've done over dozen bikes with this method and have not had any issues.
The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
1984 Honda Interceptor 1000
1994 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
And more
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, daveo, Mikaw, Scirocco, howardhb, Wookie58, DanMadBoy

Last edit: by Kelly E. Reason: left out the shaking step

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 26 Mar 2023 09:31 #882014

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 633
It may be wise to remove the petcock first to avoid gumming up it's filter.

1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Last edit: by daveo.

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 26 Mar 2023 13:00 #882024

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 404

Try the search function.  This topic has been discussed many times.

BTW, that WD-40 stuff is the wrong stuff.  Regular WD-40, in large quantity, would be more appropriate.

I called WD-40 makers and they said, in the case of preventing tank flash rust, this works BETTER than their regular stuff. Im using it.
Why did you post this thread?

Its obvious to me that the poster is after the most locked threads in KZR history award...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ronnieV, 78z1Joe, Nessism, 82KZ305Belt, Dr. Gamma, SWest, Warren3200gt, Kelly E

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 26 Mar 2023 15:09 #882031

• DanMadBoy
  • DanMadBoy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 14

It may be wise to remove the petcock first to avoid gumming up it's filter.

Thanks for this reminder. What do you usually plug the tank mounting hole with when you remove the petcock and pour in whatever you used to de-rust the tank?

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 26 Mar 2023 15:15 #882032

• DanMadBoy
  • User is blocked

We use EvapoRust to clean the tanks. When it is done we skip the water rinse and go straight to rinsing with diesel. The diesel will pick up the water and sludge. Dump the diesel out into a clear jug. In a couple of minutes the sludge and water will settle to the bottom. Carefully dump the diesel back in for another round and dump the sludge. Several rounds and the tank will be clean and it is good to use or store because of the diesel coating the inside. Any residual diesel will have no effect when you fill up the tank with gas and run the bike.

My Uncle's old-timer friend suggested Marvel mystery oil to stop flash rust after washing the tank with water.

Attachments:

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 26 Mar 2023 16:32 #882034

• Kelly E
  • User

We use EvapoRust to clean the tanks. When it is done we skip the water rinse and go straight to rinsing with diesel. The diesel will pick up the water and sludge. Dump the diesel out into a clear jug. In a couple of minutes the sludge and water will settle to the bottom. Carefully dump the diesel back in for another round and dump the sludge. Several rounds and the tank will be clean and it is good to use or store because of the diesel coating the inside. Any residual diesel will have no effect when you fill up the tank with gas and run the bike.

My Uncle's old-timer friend suggested Marvel mystery oil to stop flash rust after washing the tank with water.

I am an old timer, there's no way I'm putting water into a freshly derusted tank. Marvel Mystery Oil isn't needed because the diesel does the job. Besides MMV is too expensive for this application.

1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
And more

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 26 Mar 2023 16:40 #882035

• DanMadBoy
  • User is blocked

I am an old timer, there's no way I'm putting water into a freshly derusted tank. Marvel Mystery Oil isn't needed because the diesel does the job. Besides MMV is too expensive for this application.

Ive actually seen cars/motorcycles destroyed because of diesel fuel. No way Im putting that in my tank, even for a rinse. NEVER!

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 26 Mar 2023 16:46 #882036

• Kelly E
  • User
Since you refuse to understand or accept any suggestions from experienced people I'm done with helping you. You ask questions but have already made up your mind, you are a complete waste of time.
1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
And more
The following user(s) said Thank You: ronnieV, 78z1Joe, Nessism, hardrockminer, Warren3200gt

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 26 Mar 2023 16:49 #882037

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2622

Since you refuse to understand or accept any suggestions from experienced people I'm done with helping you. You ask questions but have already made up your mind, you are a complete waste of time.

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 26 Mar 2023 17:23 #882038

• DanMadBoy
  • User is blocked

OK

Last edit: by DanMadBoy.

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 26 Mar 2023 18:08 #882040

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
There are lots of different, successful, ways to derust a gas tank, but if water rinsing is involved, it's absolutely critical to remove the water in the tank before applying a protectant.  Oil and water don't mix, so applying oil on top of water, is a really bad idea.