Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Pod filters 12 Oct 2006 12:40 #83726

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
pyxen wrote:

I definitely would love some info on how to put the boots back on.

I've got them so that I can bend them a bit, so I think they're soft enough - but I don't know exactly.

I think that cutting the airbox up is definitely an extreme thing to do though. I get 'odd' ideas every now and then - so you can chalk that one up to a brain fart. :whistle:

I put my airbox boots on from the INSIDE of the airbox, and popped them out the holes in front. It was easier than trying to put them on the carb first and wiggle it into the airbox.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pod filters 12 Oct 2006 13:03 #83729

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
My boots are hard as a rock and I still use them. Do like OKC_Kent said. Install them from inside the airbox, and the secret is heat. Boil some water, put one boot in the very hot water for a while, quickly try to slip it through the airbox onto the carb before hardness sets back in. Repeat for the others. Works great except on the worst of hardened boots.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Pod filters 12 Oct 2006 13:54 #83741

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
ambergrismooon wrote:

.... But just in case I keep the boots siliconed to stay supple. As long as that is done carb removal is a breeze.

Gris,

Will silicone soften up a boot that's hard to begin with? I have a can of PB Blaster that says it "rejuvinates" rubber. I thought about wiping hard boots with a soaked rag of PB, but changed my mind when a caliper o-ring swelled about twice its normal size when soaked a bit too long in PB...

Kent

I just noticed I'm really getting off track from the original question. Sorry

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/10/12 17:13
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Pod filters 12 Oct 2006 19:48 #83799

• masospaghetti
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a set of pods on mine, not sure what to think of them. They're genuine K&N pods, make a cool honking noise under acceleration, but they've been problematic to calibrate and they do suck water when it rains. The main benefit i've seen is that they make the carb easier to service...but if I were going to do it again I would not have bought them.

I bought a brand new set of boots a while ago and still have a ton of trouble getting them on the stock airbox.