Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Pod filters 09 Oct 2006 08:08 #82829

• cb_eric22
  • cb_eric22's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
What brand of pod filters do you all recommend? K&N? Emgo? Enlighten me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pod filters 09 Oct 2006 08:25 #82837

• wireman
  • Visitor
they both work,just depends on how much money ya wanna spend.dont by the k&n filter cleaner though.my dad had some analysed at railroad test lab years ago its basically just 409 cleaner in a k&n bottle your paying for,so i just use 409 its a lot cheaper!:evil: :P

Pod filters 09 Oct 2006 21:00 #83051

• srvbbkjh
  • User
what about re-oiling the filter? i thought that this was what made the filter so much better than other filters

Pod filters 09 Oct 2006 22:22 #83072

• wireman
  • Visitor
you can use their oil for that,just dnt buy their cleaner.;)

Pod filters 09 Oct 2006 22:38 #83076

• Mikes82KZ1100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Why would you want pod filters? My experience is that they are nothing but a pain to deal with. Ya gotta take all 4 off to clean/oil, Ya gotta cover them up when you wash the bike, They suck water when it rains, Why not get a stock airbox if yours is missing and get a K&N filter to fit in the box? MUCH less hassle. ;)

Pod filters 10 Oct 2006 05:09 #83094

• KB02
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
More of a hassle? Yes. Cheaper and sometimes easier to find than a replacment stock airbox? Also Yes.

Basically, from what I have seen and heard of, the K&N filters (or copy-cat design) are the best if you are going to run pods. The other style filters tend to cause issues when you get hit with cross winds and such. Basically, they allow a little too much air (or too much air gets forced in) in and it screws up the mixture while you're riding.

Something to think about.

Pod filters 10 Oct 2006 05:18 #83096

• wireman
  • Visitor
the k&ns and other brands have cross wind issues also.;)

Pod filters 10 Oct 2006 14:52 #83264

• cb_eric22
  • cb_eric22's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
What if you were to fashion a shroud around the filters so air could only come in from the back of the bike?

Pod filters 10 Oct 2006 15:08 #83269

• anarki650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I've got emgo pods on my 77 650 and have never had an issue at any speed. The key seems to be in having the carbs dialed in correctly and the pods become a non issue. My experience at least...
09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

Pod filters 10 Oct 2006 15:29 #83277

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
Just my personnal experience, but I'll have to agree with the negatives already mentioned about pods. K-Ns in particular because that's the only brand I've ever run.
Do they get effected by crosswinds? Yes

Do they suck water when it rains? Yes, not so much a problem when you are riding, but come out after work on a rainy day and try to ride home for a great fun ride :angry:

Do they do a *better* job filtering than stock? I'm talking K-N pods or K-N replacements for the stock filter element. No, running well over 150,000 miles on K-N and stock filter, I'm sure K-N flows more dirt than a stock filter. Probably more air flow too, but more dirt along with it.

Other problems include hardening of the rubber mounting for the filters over time making them impossible to fully slip on the carbs, no airbox there to help hold the rear of the carbs up means all weight which is a lot is now suspended by the intake manifold boots, so rapid deterioration of them will happen, carbs will sag in the back eventually without rear support. K-N gauze will not last 1 million miles like they claim, if you look at the filters after a few cleanings you'll already see spots in the gauze opening up enough to flow larger dirt particals. Another problem is they will always look filthy in short time in dusty climates because dirt will quickly be drawn to them even if you are not riding.

There are benefits to the pods, I'm sure with tuning they do flow better so more air can equal better power and of course they remove easily for carburetor service which is great. I love that part of them, the rest I'd advise against if possible.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Pod filters 11 Oct 2006 05:31 #83421

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
If you fashion a shroud around the pods so air will only come in the back it would be called a stock airbox.
:P

Post edited by: mariozappa, at: 2006/10/11 10:13
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

Pod filters 11 Oct 2006 06:53 #83433

• mbsween
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I've been running K&N pods for 5 years or so. I do clean an oil them annually, but other than that I just run them. I ride a lot and I live in Rochester NY which means riding in the rain all the time. I aslo do some long distance with the KZ (800+ in day, its comfortable!) and have ridden some stretches where its pretty much rained all the way through PA and OH.

I haven't had an issue. They are a bit louder to the rider and they are pricey but other than that I can't see much of a drawback.

I also have a Buell that has an exposed element that faces into the wind. So it does occasionally stall out in heavy rain, or is a pita to start if its been sitting in an all day rain.

As to washing the bike, just cover them with a towel hung over the seat. I'll admit, I hardly ever wash the bikes, did I mention that I ride int he rain alot?

Matt