• Page:

TOPIC:

Rebuild 26 May 2018 20:59 #784127

• McTavish
  • McTavish's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys
I'm new to this so please be gentle with me!....
I'm a Scotsman living in Perth, West Australia, and recently purchased a 1980 KZ750 e1........got it for A$300
I ride a Yamaha FJR1300 normally, but wanted to have a hobby bike to work on.
The KZ is old school, but the more I work on it the more I like it!
Started cleaning it up and ordering parts for it, and have come to the the carbies....
Got the kit from Japan , and over the last few days have been replacing all the jets etc.......but have a few questions,and was wondering if you could help?

1/ I lost one of the caps for the pilot jet!.......could anyone tell me where I can order more?
2/ That plug has an o ring that is flattened and I don't seem to have one in my kit to fit!.......hmmmm unless it was the one I put on the fuel bowl shut off pin thingo!.......
3/ This sounds really lame, but the truth is I have left over parts, and don't know where they go,
1/ small spring
2/ small imulsion tube........think this sits below the pilot jet, but can't get the old one to come out?
3/two tiny o rings and a tiny washer.............
4/small brass tube with ridge in middle

I've included a picture!

Forgot to mention, they are Keihin CV34 carbies
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by McTavish.

Rebuild 27 May 2018 04:54 #784139

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
First, welcome to the forum. The spring goes on the pilot mixture screw to give it mechanical h old in the well; otherwise it would rattle out. The washer goes over the mix screw end to protect the little tiny oring that goes on last to provide some seal. Doesn't look like you got slow jets with the kit; these are critical to change. You can try ebay or jetsrus.com for those; not sure if you will find them. Last, there are two "main jets" in a 1980 Keihin CV34 carb; one is large/fat and if you unscrew this jet, the "emulsion tube" you refer to is screw into the well. Take care unscrewing the primary main jet atop it as they strip easily. The small brass tube with a ridge is called a needle jet. When you take out the main jet holder aka emulsion tube under the secondary main jet, the needle jet is pressed in and can be removed by placing something in the carb and tapping lightly. I use a M4 ball hex driver (tee handled kind) for this as it doesn't damage the needle jet. Go to a parts site like bikebandit.com and look at the parts fiche for your bike for reference.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Rebuild 27 May 2018 05:06 #784143

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
Page 150 in the factory service manual explains all the parts and where they are located. If you don't have a manual please search the forum, there are links where you can download one for free.

The parts you didn't install are called "bleed pipes", they sit below the pilot jets and are critical to remove. You need to push them out from the carb throat side of the carb. I use a long punch with a ball end to do this. These bleed pipes have very small hole in them so it's critical to remove them to clean. And speaking of that, it's almost always better to clean your old brass than change it with aftermarket parts that may or may not work correctly. And be sure to remove the pilot screws and completely clean all passages. Unganging the carbs is always best in this regard. About 80% of the time people shortcut the cleaning process and have to do it two or three times. Added benefit of fully breaking down the carbs is that the fuel pipe O-rings between the carbs can be changed then. 90% of the time they are hard as a rock and the only way to refresh them is to ungang the carbs.

Rebuild 27 May 2018 05:39 #784144

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
Hello and welcome McTavish

Here are some carb parts and rebuild guides for you and everybody who need this. Needless to say only use best fit and quality tools for a carburetor rebuild.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Have fun

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Rebuild 27 May 2018 05:58 #784145

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 277
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk
The following user(s) said Thank You: McTavish

Rebuild 27 May 2018 11:37 #784174

• McTavish
  • McTavish's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Great tutorials and diagram!.....Thanks a lot mate!

Rebuild 27 May 2018 20:27 #784203

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44

Scirocco wrote: Hello and welcome McTavish

Here are some carb parts and rebuild guides for you and everybody who need this. Needless to say only use best fit and quality tools for a carburetor rebuild.

Have fun

FYI, These are Keihin CV34 carbs and not Mikuni... the Mikuni stuff may not help much due the basic differences in functions and assembly/disassembly.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Rebuild 29 May 2018 14:02 #784320

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
  • Thank you received: 55
Sounds like you have your desired project and good luck with it. . Sorry to hear about the FJR.

It seems though these projects can be never ending. with this in mind I enjoy the Z1 a great deal and save the other bike for longer distances.
Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

Last edit: by Z1Driver.
  • Page: