Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 01 Jul 2006 11:05 #58531

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
Some carbs have a "master" carb that can't be adjusted. You adjust the others to it! Don't know about 650 carbs but would assume they are a lot like 1000's in design. Also, what plugs are you running? Too cold a plug can be a real headache too.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 01 Jul 2006 11:10 #58532

• hwms
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
racer54 wrote:

Some carbs have a "master" carb that can't be adjusted. You adjust the others to it! Don't know about 650 carbs but would assume they are a lot like 1000's in design. Also, what plugs are you running? Too cold a plug can be a real headache too.

Master carb ???? Please explain.

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 01 Jul 2006 11:29 #58537

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
Some carbs have a certain carb that is "locked" in as far as adjustability. When you try to synchronize your carbs, you will notice one won't be able to be adjusted or might not even have the necessary adjusting points. Look at your guages and set your other carbs to match the settings for that carb. You basically are adjusting only three carbs. You can find which one that is by trying to adjust each carb...you will find the "locked" one. I believe it will be either #2 or #3, but not sure. Your manual should tell you which one if you have a manual. This of course is for the adjustment of the slides. You can change the jets as much as you want on all carbs.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 01 Jul 2006 11:34 #58539

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
If your bike is stock then I would stay with the #15 pilots, 102.5 mains and I would put the clip back in the middle slot.
The ignition systems on these bikes are their weakest links. I switched to a Dyna S and Green Dyna coils years ago. They made a HUGE difference in performance and staying in tune. My bike would never stay in tune with old points ignition.

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 01 Jul 2006 11:37 #58540

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
You are right. Aftermarket coils and ignitions are MUCH better then stock set-ups. If you can, switching to these is a very smart move. Technology marches on and electronic ignitions are the way to go. I've seen them "wake up" a bike...makes it feel like an entirely different bike.

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 01 Jul 2006 12:28 #58543

• hwms
  • User
Thank you for the info.
I am just trying to learn so am still a little curious.
I was under the impression that this adjustment was for the throtle plates.
I am using BS34's and thought that the needle was controlled by vacumn and adjusted by raising and lowering to a different notch. When you say adjusting slides are you talking about different carburators?

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 01 Jul 2006 14:27 #58556

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
Yep...I am talking about round slide carbs like the kind that came stock of many of the KZ model bikes. On CV type carbs, vacuum raises and lowers the slides with a diaphram set-up. Those I don't have any experience with. I thought you were talking about the older, stock carbs that came on KZ models and many others. I would think that by raising the needle up it would richen the mixture beings it would be uncovering the jet sooner and because of the taper of the needle, more. I've heard some guys would space it up by putting different thickness washers in there somewhere to space the needle up if it doesn't have clip grooves on the top of the needle. I know there has to be someone on here that knows more about these carbs...hopefully, they will chime in here for ya.

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 01 Jul 2006 16:18 #58569

• wireman
  • Visitor
The Fish wrote:

wiredgeorge wrote:

"the Fish" - The word is "touted" not toted. If you feel I have promoted my business interests by providing free advice which generates good will, I believe there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, it is good business practice.

On the other hand, if you feel I have advertised my carburetor rebuilding and sales business in any way, please take examples to Stein, the board owner. I am sure this is against the rules and I have done my best to NEVER violate these rules.

Last, my signature is allowed to contain a link to my "wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors" web site since it doesn't make reference to the business or indicate any sort of a solitication otherwise.

In ALL my advice, I have told folks HOW to do their own work which, in actuality, probably causes me to lose business. In addition, I have ALWAYS freely pointed out when I thought a problem with a bike was electrical or engine related and not carburetor related; both on this board and in private.

Anyway, God bless Canada and our unhappy brothers to the north. Contact Stein with complaints, because as one of his moderators, I suppose I had best quit replying to any of this as it can only make me appear silly. Cheers!

Thanks for the no charge spelling lesson.

The rules learly state that " product or service advertising is stricly prohibited". It is rule #1.

Heres a post wehere you clearly solicit carb repair sales instead of giving free online help

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...ew/id,18311/catid,3/

and I'll quote

wiredgeorge wrote:

Go to my web site and fill out the custom contact form. Send some money and the carburetors and just like magic, the carburetors will show up on your door step a few weeks later... they will work properly and the little annoying holes will all be fixed hehe Dang, since we shipped you off to Okiehomer, you have lost all sense bwhahahaha

You say you do your best to never violate the rules, but you clearly break them to solicit business.

Fish<br><br>Post edited by: The Fish, at: 2006/06/27 06:11

yeah that sounds like a joke to me also guys.i know a little bit about a lot of things ,but when it comes to carbs im dangerous :whistle: :P if W.G told me the best way to fix my carbs was to climb on the roof and cluck like a chicken,id probably do it!:sick: :P he knows his stuff!as far as building carbs in a shed i dont care if he rebuilds them in his bathroom sitting on the toilet,my big thing is they work!:evil: :P

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 01 Jul 2006 17:07 #58581

• skippr76KZ
  • User
Ditto! George's advice and encouragement on this site has saved me a great deal of $$ and time.
1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone