Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 23 Jun 2006 14:36 #56615

• gas
  • gas's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My bike has been running fine except that I have black sooty plugs. I want tan plugs and moved the pilot fuel mixture screws from 1.5 turns out, to one turn out, not much diff in colour. I then recliped my needles to the middle position, they were one clip lower before the change. I haven't looked at the plugs yet (no time), but I have a ratty response just off throttle now (pilots)up to about 2-3000 rpm. I'm starting to wonder if it's not so much my carbs, but a weak ignition system, as I'm running points. I can get the bike to run well on the second from bottom clip, but I can't achieve tan plugs. If I go up one clip setting (middle) to lean it out, I get poor response.

17.5 pilots
102.5 mains
New, adjusted, points/condensors
One intermittently missing coil, to be replaced
Valve clearances etc. within limits
Factory air box/filter
VM24ss carbs

Oooops, I forgot to add that: I can't seem to adjust my second carb anymore, second on left as sitting on the bike. All the other adjusting screws will move up/down for synch except number two, and this has just started recently. This carb will not allow me to adjust upward after a certain point.

Post edited by: gas, at: 2006/06/23 17:54

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 23 Jun 2006 14:58 #56620

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Been doing some reading on plugs the last couple days. As far as reading them...according to the "experts" (I'm sure we have some on this forum too) the only way to properly read a plug is to do the plug chop at high, mid-range and low rpm and see what's up.
The rub seems to be that the plug will "read" only what it was doing last before you pull it to look at it. If you were idling it might look a little sooty. If you were at max rpm, pull the clutch and shut her down (plug chop)then read the plug, it will probably look different...maybe not sooty at all.
I did a google search for "reading spark plugs" or some such and found all kinds of good info from apparently reputable sources with mucho experience.
After all this rambling, I'm sure I didn't offer you much but...I tried! :lol:
Do a search yourself and who knows what you may find. You may already have "tan plugs" and not even know it. ;)

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 24 Jun 2006 10:29 #56811

• gas
  • User
Thanks Neil. Actually I've been lazy and have never done a true plug chop. The reason for this is that I have sprockets sized for highway riding and low revs. Unless I'm being raunchy, I'm always 4,250-4,500 rpm on the highway and not much more in town. My main jet isn't used much. So, what is involved here? Basicly my pilots, the needle clip position, throttle body position, pilot fuel mixture screw, correct? This is why I have been playing with changes in these areas. I'm taking the rack off again and dropping the clip position back to were I had good performance, even if the plugs are black. I'm still not sure why the screw in #2 carb won't adjust so that I can raise my mercury level on the Manometer, atleast on this carb. All the others go up and down at will. I don't remember ever having this problem before and always found carb synchs to be relatively simple. I guess that I'll have to take it apart and do some cleaning/inspection. I was hoping for some tips as I've been very busy lately and I'm not getting enough sleep because of my schedule, as of late. Any tips/guesses on the ornery #2 carb adjustment prob. would be appreciated.

Ok, I've recliped one position back down. Got her humming and set up on the Manometer. I see that the #2 carb on this rack is some type of master with the other carbs slaves to it. As I adjust it, the others follow, I guess I didn't notice this before. Oh well, back to it and see what I can get done here.

Post edited by: gas, at: 2006/06/24 16:30

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 24 Jun 2006 16:33 #56855

• neilage66
  • User
Gas: Hopefully, it sounds like you are on to something. It is at this point in the thread that I will graciously defer to WiredGeorge.
Good tuning to you! :)

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 25 Jun 2006 12:04 #57027

• gas
  • User
To hell with it.

Post edited by: gas, at: 2006/06/26 01:29

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 25 Jun 2006 17:28 #57084

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Cant help with the carbs since I'm only familiar with the ones (Keihins) on mine. However, my plugs always tended towards to sooty side until I did the coil mod a few weeks back. I only got an extra 0.5 volts at the coils but it made a noticeable difference to the plug colour and to response (improved) below 4,000rpm.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 25 Jun 2006 17:56 #57095

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Gas, It isn't my intention to intimidate anyone. If you want my help on tech issues, I am pretty free with it but don't look at this message board much on weekends. If you need quick help, I do look at the vintage carb tech message forum on my web site at least once a day and that makes weekend responses quicker.

As far as WHY folks didn't respond to your request for help, I can't speak for them but I can speak for myself. If I don't read the request, I don't know it is made. I also don't answer every post requesting tech help. If others provide adequate answers, then I just read and move along. In this case, there were few adequate answers but part of that the thread took off in the wrong technical direction, I think.

There is a real good chance your sooty plug issue has nothing to do with your carburetion. Since JR gave you excellent advice, I wasn't going to say anything till you started tossing my name around. I haven't had a problem with you as some others have and wanted to keep it that way. If you have a problem with me, come and tell me; otherwise please don't complain that I am the reason no one wants to help you.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 25 Jun 2006 22:17 #57167

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
If I understand correctly, on of your pilot screws (air/gas mixture) will not screw in. Many years ago on an ancient Harley, I had something similar. As it turned out something got caught in the jet. Removing the needle and replacing it must have freed it up because I never had the problem again. Those were big jets though. You might want to blow yours out with some compressed air or whatever you can get your hands on. I hope this helps. Best of success!
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 25 Jun 2006 23:08 #57170

• gas
  • User
wiredgeorge wrote:

Gas, It isn't my intention to intimidate anyone. If you want my help on tech issues, I am pretty free with it but don't look at this message board much on weekends. If you need quick help, I do look at the vintage carb tech message forum on my web site at least once a day and that makes weekend responses quicker.

As far as WHY folks didn't respond to your request for help, I can't speak for them but I can speak for myself. If I don't read the request, I don't know it is made. I also don't answer every post requesting tech help. If others provide adequate answers, then I just read and move along. In this case, there were few adequate answers but part of that the thread took off in the wrong technical direction, I think.

There is a real good chance your sooty plug issue has nothing to do with your carburetion. Since JR gave you excellent advice, I wasn't going to say anything till you started tossing my name around. I haven't had a problem with you as some others have and wanted to keep it that way. If you have a problem with me, come and tell me; otherwise please don't complain that I am the reason no one wants to help you.

It was a question, not a statement george. The good lord helps those that help themselves right? Well you've definately benefited from this site in regard to funneling business to yourself and you're not quite the altruist that you like to portray are you? Tossing out limited info and making constant references to your carb rebuild business. Hey! another plug for you huh? Damn right you should make an effort to help out now and then, these members have helped to build you up and butter your bread. Since your business started taking off you've gotten cocky and arrogant. That's the plain truth.

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 26 Jun 2006 04:34 #57185

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Well, since we are too far apart to discuss your constant whining and name calling face to face, I guess there is nothing more for me to say. Once again you have managed to stir up bad feelings and I hope you will begin to understand the problem mostly is you. Out.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 26 Jun 2006 06:48 #57211

• The Fish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
gas wrote:

wiredgeorge wrote:

It was a question, not a statement george. The good lord helps those that help themselves right? Well you've definately benefited from this site in regard to funneling business to yourself and you're not quite the altruist that you like to portray are you? Tossing out limited info and making constant references to your carb rebuild business. Hey! another plug for you huh? Damn right you should make an effort to help out now and then, these members have helped to build you up and butter your bread. Since your business started taking off you've gotten cocky and arrogant. That's the plain truth.

I agree with gas. Anybody else who toted their business as much as WG does would get kicked off of this message board and most other message boards.
Fish

Two issues-carb synch/pilot fuel screws 26 Jun 2006 12:35 #57284

• wiredgeorge
  • User
"the Fish" - The word is "touted" not toted. If you feel I have promoted my business interests by providing free advice which generates good will, I believe there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, it is good business practice.

On the other hand, if you feel I have advertised my carburetor rebuilding and sales business in any way, please take examples to Stein, the board owner. I am sure this is against the rules and I have done my best to NEVER violate these rules.

Last, my signature is allowed to contain a link to my "wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors" web site since it doesn't make reference to the business or indicate any sort of a solitication otherwise.

In ALL my advice, I have told folks HOW to do their own work which, in actuality, probably causes me to lose business. In addition, I have ALWAYS freely pointed out when I thought a problem with a bike was electrical or engine related and not carburetor related; both on this board and in private.

Anyway, God bless Canada and our unhappy brothers to the north. Contact Stein with complaints, because as one of his moderators, I suppose I had best quit replying to any of this as it can only make me appear silly. Cheers!
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!