Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Petcock filter missing 21 Apr 2007 02:54 #132482

• Pacificmonarch
  • Pacificmonarch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I think I have a problem. When I took the petcock off to clean and rebuild, the filter was not there. I tried looking for the filter separately but no one sold it. Can I buy the filter separately or do I have to buy the whole petcock assembly together?

I'm also missing the washer between the switch and the switch cover. If you go to Kawasaki.com you can see it. Is that going to be okay?

Post edited by: Pacificmonarch, at: 2007/04/21 05:56

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Petcock filter missing 21 Apr 2007 08:27 #132505

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
Another reason why I recommend using an in-line fuel filter. I don't know if you can just get the screen alone, but check on ebay for one would be my best suggestion. Always good to have spares.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Petcock filter missing 21 Apr 2007 08:28 #132506

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
The filter you're refering to, is it the one that goes over the tubes on the petcock that go up inside the tank?
If so, that filter is not available seperately.
I'll check in a bit, but I think I have a few extra filters left over from petcocks that I've replaced in the past.

Now the washer, I'm really not clear which one you're refering to. Do you have a pic of it, or at least a part number?
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Petcock filter missing 21 Apr 2007 10:01 #132529

• reborn650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey Gang - If you cannot find a fuel petcock filter for the bottome bowl on the petcock from a bike shop, check out the local plumbing shop. They should have a variety of faucet filters that might slip into place. One of these would be far better than not running a petcock filter.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

Post edited by: reborn650, at: 2007/04/21 19:22
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Petcock filter missing 21 Apr 2007 10:07 #132531

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 239
Running the petcock filter is mandatory, if for no other reason, these are your fuel pickup tubes. Without the filter you are essentially always running on reserve, so don't expect to switch the petcock from "on" to "res" if you run out of gas because there aint no more.:)
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Petcock filter missing 21 Apr 2007 10:26 #132539

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
RonKZ650 wrote:

Whatever you decide to do with your petcock filter, DO NOT REPLACE WITH CHEAP AFTERMARKET REPLACEMENTS! To get an idea what the outcome will be, go into the gas tanks on the site here and look at the latest offerings there. I just looked at KZ1000 aftermarket petcocks, ICK oh my GOD, ICK. KZ900, there's LTDriders Pingle, thats nice, otherwise :sick:. Z1, now how can those filters work good???? whats up, better gas filtering there or just luck>? I'd just advise to think about it and look closely at what has happened to these other bikes. Do they hack and spit a "lot" better now that they are repetcockfiltered? or do they suck gas """A LOT WORSE"""?
:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Attachments:

Petcock filter missing 21 Apr 2007 10:42 #132543

• wireman
  • Visitor
Pterosaur wrote:

RonKZ650 wrote:

Whatever you decide to do with your petcock filter, DO NOT REPLACE WITH CHEAP AFTERMARKET REPLACEMENTS! To get an idea what the outcome will be, go into the gas tanks on the site here and look at the latest offerings there. I just looked at KZ1000 aftermarket petcocks, ICK oh my GOD, ICK. KZ900, there's LTDriders Pingle, thats nice, otherwise :sick:. Z1, now how can those filters work good???? whats up, better gas filtering there or just luck>? I'd just advise to think about it and look closely at what has happened to these other bikes. Do they hack and spit a "lot" better now that they are repetcockfiltered? or do they suck gas """A LOT WORSE"""?
:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

:blink: :ohmy: :unsure: :S :dry: :huh: :whistle: wow!:woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :P

Petcock filter missing 21 Apr 2007 11:00 #132550

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
RonKZ650 wrote:

Running the petcock filter is mandatory, if for no other reason, these are your fuel pickup tubes. Without the filter you are essentially always running on reserve, so don't expect to switch the petcock from "on" to "res" if you run out of gas because there aint no more.:)

I totally disagree.

If that filter were able to actually regulate from ON to RES, it would obviously be way to restrictive to even allow gas to flow at all. At least all the filters I've seen are like that - just a filter with a plastic "frame" to give them shape.

FWIW, not all of the older style non-vacuum petcock pickup tubes are covered by a filter - that filter/screen is actually in the petcock sediment bowl.
The newer style vacuum petcocks have similar tubes, which as stated are covered with a filter.
What regulates between ON and RES is the length of the tubes themselves, not the filter.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Petcock filter missing 21 Apr 2007 18:26 #132618

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 239
Well it depends what's missing. On all my vacuum petcocks the 2 tubes and filter are one part. If it's not there there are 2 holes in the top of the petcock picking gas up right from the bottom of the tank so it doesn't matter if you set the petcock to on or reserve, your just picking up from the bottom of the tank. If it's "only" the filter missing, then this would be rather odd because the filter and tubes are one part???
Good job pterosaur. You're her-larious as my dad would say :-)
RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

RonKZ650 wrote:

I totally disagree.

If that filter were able to actually regulate from ON to RES, it would obviously be way to restrictive to even allow gas to flow at all. At least all the filters I've seen are like that - just a filter with a plastic "frame" to give them shape.

FWIW, not all of the older style non-vacuum petcock pickup tubes are covered by a filter - that filter/screen is actually in the petcock sediment bowl.
The newer style vacuum petcocks have similar tubes, which as stated are covered with a filter.
What regulates between ON and RES is the length of the tubes themselves, not the filter.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Petcock filter missing 21 Apr 2007 18:40 #132621

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
RonKZ650 wrote:

Good job pterosaur. You're her-larious as my dad would say :-)

I cannot take credit, oh great Word-Wizzard!

I plagarized it (for the most part) from that stunning bit of verbosity you laid on us over in the Clear Coat Oxidizing thread. ;)
Attachments:

Petcock filter missing 21 Apr 2007 19:57 #132631

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
you don't need the petcock filter..my kz1000 has a pingle and it doesn't have a filter...you will need an inline filter though...;)

Petcock filter missing 21 Apr 2007 23:38 #132685

• Pacificmonarch
  • Pacificmonarch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
When I took the petcock out of the tank, there was absolutely nothing on it. No filter or tubes. I think having one would be a better idea. The guy who previously owned the bike did everything to not maintain it. When I took the petcock out, there were leaves stuck inside the petcock.

About the washer, I think I have it. I think the previous owner misplaced it when he reassebled the petcock. But just to make sure...

This is the whole image...look at next post.

Post edited by: Pacificmonarch, at: 2007/04/22 02:45
Attachments:

• Page: