• Page:

TOPIC:

A tank-full a day??? 23 Jan 2007 00:07 #107602

• Qdude
  • Qdude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
I mean really. I know that I have been putting hundreds, literally, of useless miles on my bike taking the very very long way home after work and such. But today my bike burned thru a full tank....

I have not had it long enough to know how far it goes per gallon, so I cannot draw any conclusions merely from this.

Now how about the wet carb bottoms and the strong smell of gas. The dirt that collects on top of the gearbox as if trapped by oily liquid. The puffs of gray smoke on hard acceleration. The ashy black fouled plugs. The tendency to bog. Float not doing their jobs?

I am thinking that I at least need to service the floats.

I am handy enough with a wrench. Is there anyone out there who would try to talk me out of doing it myself? Is it possible to just do the floats without messing with any of the other adjustments? Would it be better to just rebuild the whole carb (x4)

What would you suggest I do?
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A tank-full a day??? 23 Jan 2007 06:24 #107618

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Riding around with gas leaking like that? I would strongly suggest a fire suit and a fire extinquisher? :woohoo: Seriously, you could drop the bowls and replace the needle and seats, and NOT ride until leak fixed!!
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

A tank-full a day??? 23 Jan 2007 06:52 #107624

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Suggest first determining float level. Easy and fun diy test without any disassembly needed except removing float drain screw from carb being tested. Use the clear plastic tube method.
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

---- 23 Jan 2007 07:11 #107627

• H1Vindicator
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45
----

Last edit: by H1Vindicator.

A tank-full a day??? 23 Jan 2007 07:14 #107628

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Forgot to ask -- are drain hoses attached to the float bowl drain spouts so the overflow drips underneath the bike instead of onto the cases under the carbs?

Overflow leakage could also be due to faulty float bowl gaskets or just loose float bowl screws. Of course this would not address the reason for overflowing in the first place, but could indicate other items to consider besides the float levels.
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

A tank-full a day??? 23 Jan 2007 07:41 #107640

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
If it leaks and uses that much fuel you should check your oil too, it may be contaminated with fuel that leaked into the cylinders and past the rings.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

A tank-full a day??? 23 Jan 2007 12:26 #107684

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
My 78 KZ650 gets 40MPG @ 90MPH, just for a reference.

A tank-full a day??? 23 Jan 2007 18:46 #107764

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Hey Q, you should get some kind of signature under you posting. Work on it through your profile. It will help us to know what bike you own and where you are located so that someone in your area can help you. Also in your post you didnt mention what bike you have are what carbs you have. I do however have some advice. Make sure you order some float bowl gaskets before you open the carbs up and yes you have to open them, only one way to stop that leak. I think anyone who uses a tank of gas on just the outside of the bike is a ghostrider waiting to happen!
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

A tank-full a day??? 23 Jan 2007 18:47 #107766

• kzwolfsr
  • User
And also nothing might be wrong with your floats, possibly just the valves connected to them
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

A tank-full a day??? 24 Jan 2007 04:45 #107811

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
Sorry all.
Got the profile adjusted.

I got four rebuild kits.
I'm gonna pull 'em off and pull one apart.
Got some carb cleaner, old tooth brushes, a ventilated workspace, good light, baby food jars and pie tins for screws and parst soaking, six-pack and smoke, tunes, two days off (bartender's weekend), and a whole bunch of gumption. All I need now is a supermodel to feed my grapes and I got myself a fun few hours.

I am worried about the jets. I imagine that it was re-jetted after the pipes and air cleaners were added. I guess I'll just leave 'em as is. I plan to have the carbs balanced by someone who knows what they are doing.

Wish me success!
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter

A tank-full a day??? 24 Jan 2007 06:45 #107834

• kzwolfsr
  • User
Do you even have a manual?. I wish I was there to help you man! I did my carbs in like an hour, synched and everything, and it started lastnight with me forgetting to pull the choke

A tank-full a day??? 24 Jan 2007 07:09 #107837

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
Darnit if I dont thinkthat I am in a little over my head. It was so much easier when there was only one of them. The car carb wasnt this tough either.

I replaced the parts on one of them. only one. I think that I will reassemble it and save the other three till I got a little more intel.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.

• Page: