TOPIC:

A tank-full a day??? 24 Jan 2007 07:17 #107841

• Qdude
  • Qdude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
Manual?

I guess that I had been doing so well so far without one. gettin a little cocky in my old age I guess.
I guess that I will just take a nice long scooter ride tomorrow and find me one on your suggestion. sure am going to miss those freeway onramps though.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A tank-full a day??? 24 Jan 2007 15:47 #107946

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Qdude wrote:

I mean really.....Now how about the wet carb bottoms and the strong smell of gas....I guess that I will just take a nice long scooter ride tomorrow

Has anyone heard if we need to plan a nice, slow funeral for this fire victim yet?

A tank-full a day??? 25 Jan 2007 04:36 #108039

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
Hasn't anyone else here been in/on a flaming vehicle before? Why all the reference to death and ghosts? Been there and contrarily to what you see in the movies, the stuff doesn't actually explode. It catches fire, you stop and pack dirt around the area of fire and extinguish it. Handled. Stop drop and roll? Heat fuel and oxygen? Its a chemical reaction dudes, nothing more.

Went and got a manual, excellent suggestion, tons of good info. It even tells me what I need to do to get the thing's carbs rebuilt. The only bad thing was the 40 minute scooter ride. The thing only does thirty-four mph. It was hard seeing all the bikes that came out for the wonderful weather here in Seattle this Wednesday.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter

A tank-full a day??? 25 Jan 2007 06:06 #108048

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
You might find compressed air handy to help blow the carbs dry as you clean them. Got a compressor? You can use those cans of compressed air made for the computer guys.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

A tank-full a day??? 25 Jan 2007 06:37 #108052

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
OKC_Kent wrote:

If it leaks and uses that much fuel you should check your oil too, it may be contaminated with fuel that leaked into the cylinders and past the rings.

Would urge heeding above excellent advice from OKC_Kent before much riding, long or otherwise. Crankcase oil contaminated and thinned by incoming gasoline may soon result in seizure and destruction of the lower end. Hope its not already too late. :ohmy:
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

A tank-full a day??? 25 Jan 2007 08:21 #108070

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
Point well taken. I will surely change the oil. I gotta say that this is a total blast. I appreciate all of the responses as well.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.

A tank-full a day??? 25 Jan 2007 08:39 #108074

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Qdude wrote:

Hasn't anyone else here been in/on a flaming vehicle before? Why all the reference to death and ghosts?....I will surely change the oil. I gotta say that this is a total blast....

Did you mean a blast, as in a DIATOMIC explosion?
Just be careful.
Actually, if you take your oil fill plug out/off and give crank case the old sniff test, you should could tell if there is even a small amount of gas present.
If you can't get your old sniffer close enough to the fill hole to sniff it, then use a piece of tubing to sniff through.

A tank-full a day??? 25 Jan 2007 17:44 #108195

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
I am in the middle of the rebuild and am following the instructions in the manual. I replaced everything that I could from the rebuild kit. I replaced all of the o-rings for the fuel supply. Hopefully one of the rings in the variety kits will fit the fuel petcock (uh-huh-huh-huh pet cock). Thank you Napa Auto Parts. Now I am going to adjust the mechanical cylindar heights of the carbs. I will turn all of the screws as recommended. Throw the thing on and hope for the best. I used 3n1 oil to lube up the moving parts on the outside. Got new fuel line and filter. The oil smelled like oil, but I replaced it anyhow.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.

A tank-full a day??? 25 Jan 2007 20:20 #108225

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
replace the filter too. Too late ain't I? I don't know about you but I would drain the oil, put on the filter then strain the oil as it goes back in. Not a bad idea for a engine flush.
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

A tank-full a day??? 25 Jan 2007 23:58 #108249

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
You are not too late. this wont be the last oil change that I do. I am still new to the hobby. I'll keep getting better. Gracias for the tip.

Cheers
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.

• Page: