Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1973 Z1 rebuild 20 Oct 2022 00:19 #875746

• blackozvet
  • blackozvet's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 79
Got a box of bits from Z1 Spares, a new instrument light loom, set of plugs, short throttle cables, kickstart rubber and a crankcase breather.
Hopefully this is the last purchase for the bike, apart from any unforeseen circumstances - of which I am quite sure will happen !

So I install the new light loom, switch on ignition and yes I have a neutral light.  But wait - there is now no oil light 
So I check the 3 other lights, all working.  Switch the high beam bulb around and now there is an oil light.  Looks like one of the new bulbs that came with the loom is dodgy.
Still no horn, despite filing off the powdercoat on handlebar surface of the upper clamps - maybe I need to get rid of the coating on the main triple tree clamp too?
Is there a good cheap and cheerful way to run an earth off the button?

1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1973 Z1 rebuild 20 Oct 2022 04:40 #875752

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1792

Got a box of bits from Z1 Spares, a new instrument light loom, set of plugs, short throttle cables, kickstart rubber and a crankcase breather.
Hopefully this is the last purchase for the bike, apart from any unforeseen circumstances - of which I am quite sure will happen !

So I install the new light loom, switch on ignition and yes I have a neutral light.  But wait - there is now no oil light 
So I check the 3 other lights, all working.  Switch the high beam bulb around and now there is an oil light.  Looks like one of the new bulbs that came with the loom is dodgy.
Still no horn, despite filing off the powdercoat on handlebar surface of the upper clamps - maybe I need to get rid of the coating on the main triple tree clamp too?
Is there a good cheap and cheerful way to run an earth off the button?

If there is room you could run an earth wire through the sleeve with the rest of the switch wiring and connect here with a small ring terminal. Then connect the other end to a ground under the tank

Attachments:

1973 Z1 rebuild 21 Oct 2022 07:51 #875808

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1862
The half circle of the upper steering clamp at the handle bar clamp needs to be bare. Also does the opposing surface of the handle bar clamps. These need to be free of any paint grease, debris so you get a good solid clamp to retain the bars. It’s a safety issue more than a grounding. If you clamp them down on a contaminated surface, and later that contamination gets washed out or is no longer present your clamping force on the bars could be reduced.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

1973 Z1 rebuild 23 Oct 2022 03:07 #875856

• blackozvet
  • User
I have had a few days off the bike, the Home Secretary decreed that I shall be fixing and painting the ensuite doors after we had a new bathroom window installed.
Anyway that horn has been bugging me, so I took another look.  I hooked up the horn to a battery - yep it works.
Then I thought I better check the brown wire to make sure it has 12 volts with ignition on.  Nope, it does not.
So I look at the wiring diagram, the double brown connector that is unused is in the same feed.  Check the double connector, 12 volts present.
Take the wire from single connector to double connector - the horn works !
All that mucking around and it was that simple 
1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki

1973 Z1 rebuild 23 Oct 2022 12:11 #875872

• Wookie58
Chalk it up as a win, we all get tripped up overlooking the basics at times 

1973 Z1 rebuild 23 Oct 2022 12:41 #875878

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
I'll guess that you feel like you just drew three cards for a full house, and everyone at the table is in.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

1973 Z1 rebuild 24 Oct 2022 00:20 #875904

• blackozvet
  • User
Today I finished tidying up the wiring and getting it tucked in the centre of the frame.
Next job was to get the dynamo into the cover and bolt it on (without the starter intermediate gear for now) and get the sprocket on, clutch cable hooked up and cover on - of course my wonderful polishing is now covered in grimey hand prints.

Then onto the right side to finish off things and get the kick starter on with a new rubber.
Also clean up the carb rubbers and bolt them on.

Polish up the headers and get them bolted on.

1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki
Attachments:

1973 Z1 rebuild 24 Oct 2022 04:31 #875907

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
I just noticed that your head intake boots don't have the port for synchronizing the carbs.  Is that an early head?  
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

1973 Z1 rebuild 24 Oct 2022 05:02 #875908

• blackozvet
  • User

I just noticed that your head intake boots don't have the port for synchronizing the carbs.  Is that an early head?  
Those rubbers were supplied and milled to match the ported intakes by the engine builder.  
I'm pretty sure I gave the original ones to him on an exchange basis.
1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki

1973 Z1 rebuild 24 Oct 2022 08:04 #875920

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 260
I would think that could cause a tuning issue later down the road.  Is there any other way to vacuum sync the carbs you have?  
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker

1973 Z1 rebuild 24 Oct 2022 12:16 #875937

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
The intake boots were milled?  That's interesting.  Do you know why? 

I guess you can do a mechanical synch on the carbs but I don't know how you can ensure they are all at the same iintake pressure.

1973 Z1 rebuild 24 Oct 2022 12:48 #875940

• Wookie58

The intake boots were milled?  That's interesting.  Do you know why? 

I guess you can do a mechanical synch on the carbs but I don't know how you can ensure they are all at the same iintake pressure.
The manifolds have been milled to match the ported head (I think this was a hot motor at one time, not sure now ?) you can sync with the below vacum gauge used on sidedraught webbers etc but it is a PITA because you have to read each one individually and note or remember the readings

Attachments: