Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ1000 Vibration 28 Apr 2015 14:32 #669898

• Garbosh
  • Garbosh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I don't get why you cant just find another and bolt it down, you know what I mean...if it comes off simply by bolts, in theory you should be able to just get another and bolt it in....this really pisses me off. If I am going to have to take the head off I might as well just tear the motor apart and replace the gaskets, rings, etc. All because some stupid little camshaft bracket.
82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000 Vibration 28 Apr 2015 14:37 #669899

• Garbosh
  • User
id love to just jb weld it...but lets be honest with how well thatll hold. I mean I guess I have used it for high heat applications and such. Maybe if I prep the surface real well and such. Cake it on, especially the top, smooth out the underside...what do I got to loose right, either this or buy a new damn head. Ill try it and get back.
82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks

KZ1000 Vibration 28 Apr 2015 16:20 #669904

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
The four bolts hold the four halves of the two camshaft bearings in place... the alignment with the the other cap and trunnion on the other side of the head is fairly critical. When the head was made, the boring bar went all the way through both caps to make sure they are in near perfect parallel alignment so the camshaft is not being tweak out of alignment with the bottom half of those cam bearing trunnions.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

KZ1000 Vibration 28 Apr 2015 18:56 #669920

• Garbosh
  • User
That's a lot of fancy words haha. Ill be doing the JB Weld route. The two pieces fit together perfect like a puzzle so that's good. Ive put a bead of jb in the crack, squeezed them together, and with a rubber band tight around it, itll be a good amount a pressure keeping it together while curing. I then used a wet paper towel to remove the jb flashing on the cam side, as that is the most crucial. On the other side a put a layer of jb all over the top for extra support. Ill wait until Thursday to touch it up with a dremel or a sanding block and prey it works. Im pretty confident it will.
82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks

KZ1000 Vibration 28 Apr 2015 20:49 #669929

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 636
How recent the last time the valves were adjusted, and carburetors synched? :huh
1982 KZ1100-A2

KZ1000 Vibration 28 Apr 2015 23:08 #669939

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184

Garbosh wrote: That's a lot of fancy words haha. Ill be doing the JB Weld route. The two pieces fit together perfect like a puzzle so that's good. Ive put a bead of jb in the crack, squeezed them together, and with a rubber band tight around it, itll be a good amount a pressure keeping it together while curing. I then used a wet paper towel to remove the jb flashing on the cam side, as that is the most crucial. On the other side a put a layer of jb all over the top for extra support. Ill wait until Thursday to touch it up with a dremel or a sanding block and prey it works. Im pretty confident it will.

You might luck out.... don't get the bearing inserts mixed up... actually, they may be damaged now... have to see a picture,
And make sure you understand the low torque limits of those cap screws.... it is inch pounds.... as in "kinda tight with an open end 5" long 10mm wrench" not super tight!!!
That might be how it was cracked in the first place, during a clumsy assembly.... by not moving back and forth both sides of the camshaft when tightening them down.
You are compressing valve springs when doing it and one side, if torqued down crooked or one whole side by itself, you could get them jammed and maybe crack a bearing cap....
Note, the left sides of the cams have those two parallel rings.... yours has them too and if they hit the bearing cap by mishandling the cams during installation.... I can hear the snap crackle pop.....

Not much clearance under the caps for those "rings".... make sure you gobs are on top and not under the cap center.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Attachments:

Last edit: by missionkz.

KZ1000 Vibration 29 Apr 2015 09:49 #669970

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
I'd take it to a welding shop and have it clamped down on a flat surface and weld it. The bolts are what holds it in. The bearing cap keeps the cam from moving from side to side. Make sure the threads are good.
Steve

KZ1000 Vibration 29 Apr 2015 12:04 #669983

• chconger
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14

Garbosh wrote: That's a lot of fancy words haha. Ill be doing the JB Weld route. The two pieces fit together perfect like a puzzle so that's good. Ive put a bead of jb in the crack, squeezed them together, and with a rubber band tight around it, itll be a good amount a pressure keeping it together while curing. I then used a wet paper towel to remove the jb flashing on the cam side, as that is the most crucial. On the other side a put a layer of jb all over the top for extra support. Ill wait until Thursday to touch it up with a dremel or a sanding block and prey it works. Im pretty confident it will.

I am pretty confident it wont.

Epoxy is a wonderful thing. I buy and use it by the gallons for boats. But on metal, it will not have any fiber to "wick in", like in wood or fiberglass, to hold its bond.

I hope it works for you, But I would keep looking for a new head for your bike.
1977 KZ 1000-A

Last edit: by chconger.

KZ1000 Vibration 29 Apr 2015 14:22 #670004

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
It can be welded by someone that knows what he's doing.
Steve

KZ1000 Vibration 29 Apr 2015 14:57 #670011

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Garbosh wrote: Well..might have figured it out.

It appears that you cam cap is broken in the bridge, not the saddle. If this is true take a look at the link below. Basically, it says that is not a big deal and comments on how to address it. Ed

www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/591036-82...camshaft-caps#605498
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

KZ1000 Vibration 29 Apr 2015 17:42 #670032

• chconger
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14

650ed wrote:

Garbosh wrote: Well..might have figured it out.

It appears that you cam cap is broken in the bridge, not the saddle. If this is true take a look at the link below. Basically, it says that is not a big deal and comments on how to address it. Ed

www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/591036-82...camshaft-caps#605498

WOW. Good to know. Epoxy away!
1977 KZ 1000-A

KZ1000 Vibration 29 Apr 2015 21:49 #670062

• Garbosh
  • User
Yea the epoxy is all dried up and good to go. just need to sand the extra and re install. I will be waiting on a new valve cover gasket and end plugs soooooo it probably wont be running for another week as I will be ordering them of ebay. I just really hope this was the issue that was causing the noise/vibration and this fixes it.
82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks