Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Custom Fabbed Seat KZ650 - *Update PICS* APR 23 22 Apr 2006 20:47 #41768

• MattBlack
  • MattBlack's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So after 3 failed attempts at making a custom seat I think I've finally got myself on the right track. Here's where my bike sits now just so you know what I'm working towards. I'm looking at making a custom SOLO seat that will cut off right where the plastic pad on the stock fender is. Then with a Pillion pad there for the passenger.

Link: Click Here to Enlarge

My first attempts included:
- Hacking the stock seat pan to make a shorter seat. (Just wasn't what I was looking for)
- Hammering out a metal seat pan (I won't go into details, but let's just say I won't be posting pics of that one. I now use it as a body filler mixer.)
- Making a MDF frame to cover in fiberglass for a custom seat pan (Turned out even worse than the previous one. Waaaay too much material to look simple)
- Buying a chopper seat. (I kind of knew this wouldn't work because it comes to a sharp point in the front and looked stupid with the flat backed tank. )

So finally tonight I made another seat pan that I welded together from two pieces, and reinforced down the middle. All I need to do now is weld on the bracket for the front clip and then get two short springs for the back, or at least short posts, and I'll be ready to have it upholtered.

I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has successfully fabbed a custom solo seat for a KZ? If so, can you show me your work.

A Few Pics: Click the link in my SIG for more progress shots as well as some other attempts and the chopper seat that never worked out... also, keep in mind I've never made a seatpan before in my life and I just bought my welder 2 weeks ago. :)

Post edited by: MattBlack, at: 2006/04/23 23:44

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Custom Fabbed Seat on KZ650 23 Apr 2006 09:12 #41833

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Keep us posted.

Did you see Ron's seat?

Here's a link in the Archives:
Fiberglass seat pan...Now with seat!

And his second one: The bondo phase...

And bkitchen' s650:
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Custom Fabbed Seat on KZ650 23 Apr 2006 11:28 #41860

• KZReeder
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm sorry but that last one looks like a mail box with trailer side marker light... it's a cool bike but man, that tail piece should be refined a little.

Custom Fabbed Seat on KZ650 23 Apr 2006 15:22 #41899

• MattBlack
  • User
That 2nd pic is kinda cool. I won't need that much after teh seat thogh as I've cut the frame off about 3 inches behind the rear shocks. Right behind where the fender bolts on.

I may do a small fiberglass part there with a pillion pad to finish off the rear, but I'm really just more concerned with getting my own butt comfy first. :)

Custom Fabbed Seat on KZ650 23 Apr 2006 20:39 #41999

• MattBlack
  • User
Update BUMP :whistle:

Custom Fabbed Seat on KZ650 26 Apr 2006 10:17 #42835

• Maxwedge
  • User
I will be making a solo seat pan this weekend out of metal and can post some pics if you want. Mine is a little different. It's going to basically blend with the kz750 tail section so it curve to fit that and will have a small back rest, cafe style, but no passenger seat. By the way DAP Weldwood contact cement (the original formula, not the odor free stuff) works great for holding foam to metal and it's waterproof. I think you have the right basic idea there though.

Custom Fabbed Seat on KZ650 26 Apr 2006 13:04 #42881

• MattBlack
  • User
Maxwedge wrote:

I will be making a solo seat pan this weekend out of metal and can post some pics if you want. Mine is a little different. It's going to basically blend with the kz750 tail section so it curve to fit that and will have a small back rest, cafe style, but no passenger seat. By the way DAP Weldwood contact cement (the original formula, not the odor free stuff) works great for holding foam to metal and it's waterproof. I think you have the right basic idea there though.

Thanks Maxwedge :)

I'm going to finish up mine this weekend as well.... well the mounting points at least. I've been in my garage now for 3 nights staring at the seat, checking the height, etc etc, trying to decide on the best way to mount this thing. I thik I finally got it. :whistle:

By all means post up your pics in this thread when you get it done. I'm curious to see other peoples work. Also, thanks for the Weldwood tip... I was wondering abut that last night as well. :)

Post edited by: MattBlack, at: 2006/04/26 16:05

Custom Fabbed Seat on KZ650 26 Apr 2006 14:26 #42910

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I'm working on one for my bike. I'll probably go with an aluminum pan, working on the shape. I'll post some pics soon as I'm done.
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

Custom Fabbed Seat on KZ650 27 Apr 2006 20:05 #43306

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
Here's another shot of mine. It shows the some more of the lines...there's not much color contrast in a color photo, since my bike is all black with a navy blue seat cover. Everything from the tailpeice to the rear of the gas tank is molded into one piece of fiberglass with dense foam and vinyl for the cushion. The whole thing is hinged at the rear and lifts up from the front to get the tool kit and service the battery.

Ride safe...God bless!

-Ron

Post edited by: ronboskz650sr, at: 2006/04/27 23:10
Attachments:

Custom Fabbed Seat on KZ650 27 Apr 2006 21:37 #43341

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Plenty of options out there....THATS fer sure!
Good to see ya back, Ron.....
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Custom Fabbed Seat on KZ650 28 Apr 2006 11:56 #43434

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
Thanks Pat! Got hired on permanent today! Give me a PM.

God bless!

-Ron

Custom Fabbed Seat on KZ650 28 Apr 2006 12:42 #43443

• MattBlack
  • User
Ron, thanks for the post.... its good to see pics, but in your case it'd be great to be able to see wht you did up close. I find making the seat itself isn't as hard as deciding on how to mount the thing.