Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

82 Spectre with new paint 04 Apr 2006 16:05 #36637

• ratmeister
  • ratmeister's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all, I just got finished with my newest "rattle can" paint job. I used 3 cans of gunmetal grey and 1 can of light metallic blue, as well as a few cans of clear coat...Next step is new jets (just added pods), custom side covers, more LED lights, and hopefully a chin fairing if I can make one fit.

Let me know what you think.

Post edited by: ratmeister, at: 2006/04/04 19:25

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82 Spectre with new paint 04 Apr 2006 17:02 #36671

• NOS
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
From one '82 KZ750 Spectre owner to another, WOW!!:woohoo: I like the new paint!
I liked the paint before, but this is a BIG change!
I wish mine was looking that good.:blush:
Keep up the good work, and let me know what size jets you find work best ;)

Take care and ride safe :)

82 Spectre with new paint 04 Apr 2006 19:16 #36745

• ratmeister
  • User
Thanks NOS...I didn't do a great job on my first paint job last year, and used pinstripe tape that never looked good. The bike looked ok from a distance but pretty bad close up. This time I sanded between coats and used alot of clear coat, so it looks and feels good close up. I also wanted to add a bit of color...

Here are some before pictures so you can see how far it came! The first was the day I brought it home, the other is last summer, after my first attempt at paint.

To be honest, other than the paint, I think the seat is the coolest change to the bike. It's amazing what a carving knife and a local upholstery shop can do...

Post edited by: ratmeister, at: 2006/04/04 22:22

82 Spectre with new paint 04 Apr 2006 19:45 #36758

• gr8funbikes
  • User
ratmeister:
I love the color! It looks great. I was thinking of painting my kz but not really sure what steps to take. Did you sand between coats (paint and clear), and how many coats of paint and clear did you use? I hope mine can look that nice when I finish it.
82 KZ 750 CSR Twin

82 Spectre with new paint 05 Apr 2006 05:47 #36848

• ratmeister
  • User
Thanks gr8funbikes...I used 3 cans of paint, about 10 light coats. I sprayed 2 to 3 coats of gunmetal at a time, then sanded with 1000 grit wet-dry paper, then repeated 3 more times. Then I masked off the stripes and painted about 5 coats on them, then sanded again. On the clear, I sprayed a few coats in one sitting, sanded the next day, then sprayed another coat and sanded it.

I never sanded my other paint job, and that is what makes a huge difference. Maybe not show quality, but very respectable, and cheap!

I did the whole job in 3 days since I was painting in my basement, my wife was ready to kill me because the house stunk, and she wouldn't give me any more days.

Now I need to wax it to help protect it.

82 Spectre with new paint 05 Apr 2006 21:02 #37120

• gr8funbikes
  • User
ratmeister:
Thanks for the info. That doesn't sound too bad to do. I will try it myself soon, but have to get my 750 running first :angry: . When you sanded did you use the 1000 grit the whole time? And did you wet sand every time or did you just use that type of sand paper?I think your paint jobs looks very respectable and the best part is if it gets scratched you can fix it your self easily. Was it hard to do the racing stripes? What kind of tape did you use? Thanks again for the info any little bit helps and it is greatly appreciated.
82 KZ 750 CSR Twin

82 Spectre with new paint 05 Apr 2006 21:25 #37125

• Werewolfx
  • User
I've always heard you shouldn't dry sand the actual paint, just the primer (if you absolutely have to dry sand)..wet sanding keeps the dust down, and makes your sandpaper last longer (less clogging)..so I've always just wet sanded the stuff I've painted..It could be all wrong though.
Chris

82 Spectre with new paint 06 Apr 2006 05:25 #37179

• ratmeister
  • User
I wasn't sure what to do as this was my second paint job. I dry sanded the paint coats and then rubbed the dust off wuth a damp cloth. I did the same for the clear coat. Next time I will try wet sanding.

I can't see why you wouldnt sand the paint, as it gets a pretty rough texture when it drys, and the 1000 grit takes it right off.

I used the green auto masking tape for the stripes, and just eyeballed the middle one, then added rows on the sides. Then I just removed the ones I didn't need and masked the rest off with newspaper. It was fairly simple and only took a few hours paint and all!

I might be trading for a 650 soon, so will get to try my hand at painting yet again...

82 Spectre with new paint 06 Apr 2006 06:15 #37190

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Looks great! B)
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

82 Spectre with new paint 06 Apr 2006 10:19 #37233

• Werewolfx
  • User
Yeah you should definitely sand your color coats, I've always heard its just smarter to wet sand though...I always sand my final color coat and all the clear coats with 2000 grit, but you could just as easily use 1500, it just requires more work with the rubbing compound to get the scratches from the 1500 out.

By the way, that does look really nice for a rattlecan job. Not my taste of colors, but still looks good ;)

Post edited by: werewolfx, at: 2006/04/06 13:21
Chris

82 Spectre with new paint 06 Apr 2006 13:24 #37269

• KL250
  • User
I wouldn't sand the final color coat. doing that usually dulls the metallic. quite honestly if your primer is sanded smooth enough the color should lay down smooth as well. they way your doing it you should only apply color untill it is covered. like 3 coats. then apply about 3 coats of clear. one tack coat and then two full wet coats. then sand and buff. you want to minimal film build or else it becomes prone to chipping.

82 Spectre with new paint 06 Apr 2006 14:54 #37292

• ratmeister
  • User
Thanks for all the advice. I just traded my bike on a 77 kz650 that I will turn into a cafe style bike, and first up will be a new paint job (my third one). With all your help, this next one will hopefully be my best so far. Now I just need to pick out colors...Hmmmm

Here is a pic of my new project...I am not sure what it will eventually become, but the wife wants it orange. So much for a black cafe bike. :laugh:

Post edited by: ratmeister, at: 2006/04/06 22:28

• Page: