Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to clear up a hazy plexiglass windshield 14 Feb 2006 04:15 #23754

• floridamba
  • floridamba's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I've heard that glycerin can help clear up a hazy windshield - anybody ever try it? I'd appreciate any tips that could same me the $$ of buying a new one.

thankx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to clear up a hazy plexiglass windshield 14 Feb 2006 05:08 #23758

• michikawi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
If it is just surface haze and scratches I have cleaned one up with Du Pont #7 polishing compound. If it is discolored all the way through I can't help you.

How to clear up a hazy plexiglass windshield 14 Feb 2006 08:37 #23795

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Be very careful using chemicals on this, some plastics react poorly to even simple cleaning chemicals. Don't even try Windex until you know for sure.

Here is a link that tells how to clean and restore a Plexiglass window on a Corvette. You basically sand it.
tinyurl.com/bl4d6

Another place to check would be aircraft supply houses, many planes have expensive plexiglass and they use different things to keep them clear.
Try Aircraft Spruce and Specialty, or Wicks.

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/02/14 11:50
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

How to clear up a hazy plexiglass windshield 14 Feb 2006 15:55 #23853

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I've always cleaned my visor and fairing with Lemonpledge furniture polish. Is it hazy or scratched?

How to clear up a hazy plexiglass windshield 14 Feb 2006 16:24 #23855

• Flynrider
  • User
I have an NC Plexifairing that was pretty well scratched up when a dimwitted relative decided the bugs would come off better with one of those plastic scouring pads used to clean teflon coated pots and pans.

Fortunately, they are very fine scratches. They look horrible and make the view cloudy when untreated, but a good coating of Pledge actually clears it up pretty well. When the Pledge wears off after a few weeks, the cloudiness returns.

If the windshield is cloudy because it was left out in the sun (UV damage), there's nothing you can do about it.

How to clear up a hazy plexiglass windshield 17 Feb 2006 15:21 #24548

• floridamba
  • floridamba's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I mixed glycerin and water about 50/50 and rubbed it on the windshield. It didn't help - but my windshield has 47k miles on it and is pretty nasty. Oh well..

How to clear up a hazy plexiglass windshield 17 Feb 2006 22:26 #24617

• Tower_Monkey1
  • User
go to your local motorcycle shop and ask them for some renews (I think I spelled that right ) It is made for cleaning plastic like fenders and gas tanks on dirt bikes, they also make it for cleaning clear plastic windshields too. Wayne
78 KZ650C2 Dyna ignition and coils,Pod filters,4-1 Kerker,CBR Tail Light,Drilled front dics,Custom front fender,1/4 fairing.

How to clear up a hazy plexiglass windshield 18 Feb 2006 00:23 #24626

• cole098
  • User
well I dont know about plastic. But I had a Jet aircraft mechanic tell me they use pledge on the jet canopys.. Never use windex it scratches.. The pledge cleans and has wax to fill in the scratches..

How to clear up a hazy plexiglass windshield 17 May 2006 16:11 #48072

• Akheloce
  • User
Lemon pledge works great on UH-60 Blackhawk side windows, but as another posted, you have to reapply about every week or so. We have tried Meguires, a really expensive spot repair product from Aviall, and a few other products but lemon (or country flower) :) pledge works the best.

How to clear up a hazy plexiglass windshield 17 May 2006 16:17 #48074

• Akheloce
  • User
Lemon pledge works great on UH-60 Blackhawk side windows, but as another posted, you have to reapply about every week or so. We have tried Meguires, a really expensive spot repair product from Aviall, and a few other products but lemon (or country flower) :) pledge works the best.

How to clear up a hazy plexiglass windshield 17 May 2006 16:27 #48076

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
Akheloce wrote:

Once or twice a year, I polish the fine scratches out of the Lexan with either Harley Glaze (hey, I get it for free..) or Blue Magic Plexiglass Cleaner. 3M Glazing Compound, same-same. Glazing compounds and plexiglass cleaners are pretty much the same thing - ultra fine polishing compounds - very fine abrasive grit, a titch of coloring and water. Also known as "swirl removers".

Some of the glitzy brands like "Color Back" sold at places like Auto Zone also add perfumes, and that's a potential trouble spot. Might do well to open the bottle (if possible) and take a sniff.

Then, I use Lemon Pledge also. Good stuff.

How to clear up a hazy plexiglass windshield 17 May 2006 17:59 #48092

• inline4
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Even if this product doesn't clear up your scratches (but I bet it will) you gotta give Plexus a try. It was originally formulated for fighter cockpit windows but works EXTREMELY well on windscreens and face shields.
I've had the same face shield for 4 years now and I'm not even close to thinking about buying a new one. You can usually find this at better bike shops or at Dennis Kirk, etc.
Jim
Attachments:

• Page: