Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Thoughts on clip-ons? 13 Jul 2006 20:40 #61849

• Torch
  • Torch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I was wondering if any of you guys have experience riding with clip ons? Whats your impressions on the comfort and feel?

Reason why im asking is, im thinking about lowering my bike a little by pushing the fork up through the tree...and maybe attaching some clip-on's there. If they've got about the same kind of feel as a set of drag bars, i can deal with that. Im a short commuter anyway, i usually don't do a whole lot of long rides.

Also, i've read a few things about the difficulty of finding clip-on's long enough to fit all the KZ1000's controls because of the size of the brake resevoir. Anyone point me into the right direction of some good quality bars that will fit? Or am i going to have to go to a newer model master cylinder from a new bike with a remote resevoir?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thoughts on clip-ons? 13 Jul 2006 20:48 #61854

• reborn650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Torch. I've driven mid-size bikes with clip-ons and found them to be a little too low for my liking. I prefer the superbike bars which give you a lower ride than stock bars but also save the back and shoulders. It comes down to personal preferences.

Cheers-Colin Firth Onatario Canada
1977 Kz 650 with 810 Kit, WG Mikuni 28 carbs, 650 head, 750 cams/valves/springs, Dyna and a bunch of other go fast goodies.
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Thoughts on clip-ons? 13 Jul 2006 21:18 #61863

• wireman
  • Visitor
try a set of aluminum dirtbike bars with removable cross brace .

Thoughts on clip-ons? 14 Jul 2006 04:30 #61880

• KZReeder
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I've got these clip-ons on right now... gotta admit, a little uncomfortable around town but fine at 60mph.

They're mounted above the triple clamp like you described.

- Claude

Post edited by: KZReeder, at: 2006/07/14 07:31
Attachments:

Thoughts on clip-ons? 14 Jul 2006 04:56 #61881

• KB02
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Yeah, mounting above the clamp, the clip ons are going to feel allot like drag bars. I have a 1976 CB750F Honda with clip on below the clamps. They're fine for a short comute, but anything long distance, I'm going to have to invest in a set of rearsets for the bike.

Thoughts on clip-ons? 14 Jul 2006 12:39 #61978

• medic24
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
What about "flipping" the superbike bars? JUst tried this on a KZ650 I am selling to a friend and it seems to be ok... so far.

Thoughts on clip-ons? 14 Jul 2006 16:43 #62024

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Whether you mount them above or below the upper clamp, they will not feel comfortable or provide you with a "feeling" of control unless you match them up with rearsets. Clipons mounted above the upper clamp will be much nore confortable than those mounted below. Even though they're mounted above the upper clamp, they will not feel the same as drag bars because of the different angles. I've used clipons both above and below the upper clamp, clubman bars, drag bars and what we used to refer as BMW type riser bars on various bikes. All can be comfortable to varying degrees when matched with the correct pegs. I see many "cafe racer" conversions where clubman bars are fitted but stock pegs are retained and the rider is painfully bent over to reach the grips.

Thoughts on clip-ons? 14 Jul 2006 18:12 #62041

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
It might depend on how old you are. ;)
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Thoughts on clip-ons? 14 Jul 2006 18:28 #62050

• rdhussey
  • User
If you dont' easily get aches and pains .. the discomfort is worth the look .. at least to me!

Thoughts on clip-ons? 16 Jul 2006 10:39 #62382

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I have clip-ons on mine, and I second the need for rear sets as far as comfort goes. Like one of the other guys said, clip-ons are much better at speed, because windblast will take some load off your wrists.

As far as room for your master cylinder goes: Typically what can be in the way of the m/c when clipons are installed in the normal location underneath the tree, is the right top triple tree clamp bolt. If you are installing the clip-ons above the top triple tree this will not be an issue.
Just measure how much room you need form the tip of your current handlebar to the left side of the m/c clamp. I have my clipons installed below the upper tree, m/c clears just dandy and the length of the bars from the tip of the bar to the outside of the clamp (equals the space for your controls) is 9 1/8". Hope this helps some.
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

Thoughts on clip-ons? 16 Jul 2006 14:53 #62432

• KZReeder
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

Whether you mount them above or below the upper clamp, they will not feel comfortable or provide you with a "feeling" of control unless you match them up with rearsets. Clipons mounted above the upper clamp will be much more confortable than those mounted below.

Totally agree with this... I'm working on a set of rear-sets right now... I'm always cruising with my feet on the passenger pegs anyways.

-Claude

Thoughts on clip-ons? 18 Jul 2006 00:53 #62799

• Torch
  • Torch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for all the help guys. Im still stuck between drag bars or clip ons. I like the cleaner look of clip ons vs. bars, i just can't decide if i would really be reaching any further with clip on's above the triple...or with drag bars. I second the suggestion of rear sets, there just not in my budget right now.

New tires, new chain and sprockets, new wheel bearings, and carb rebuild are kinda emptying out my bike fund. The bars that are on my bike now really don't have alot of rise as it is....there just bent up. And since im replacing, why not go with someone that looks a little better.

Im really not much of a highway/long distance rider, i'll mostly use my bike for back and forth to work....roughly 20 mins there. The only thing i saw bad with clip-ons is that i might not be able to get a comfortable pullback without hitting my tank at full lock. But then again, i haven't done a whole lot of measuring either.