Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Thoughts on clip-ons? 18 Jul 2006 04:27 #62806

• Sorf
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
Just out of interest, what's the effect on handling when dropping the clamps so far down the forks? Wouldn't this make for very touchy steering?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thoughts on clip-ons? 18 Jul 2006 04:54 #62809

• KZReeder
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

Just out of interest, what's the effect on handling when dropping the clamps so far down the forks? Wouldn't this make for very touchy steering?

Mines been fine... I was a little concerned about this as well, but I did a little research and found that it's not an uncommon mod to improve track handling on older bikes. Granted, I'm not a real agressive rider and I would recomend caution with any type of bike geometry mod but I haven't noticed any adverse effects on my 79 KZ1000st.

Cheers,
Claude

Thoughts on clip-ons? 18 Jul 2006 09:15 #62890

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Torch,
You will be reaching slightly more with clipons, but will have the perks of adjustability. Mounted above the tree, I don't think you will have major clearance problems.

As far as the effect on handling goes, this subject has been discussed a number of times, I would recommend searching the forum. Some people don't like the idea of lowering the forks in the trees, and report stability problems (wallowing / wobbling) at high speed. I can only relay my own experience here: I like it. I have dropped the trees a little over an inch - off the top of my head. The bike tips in a lot easier. No stability problems at any speeds. There are so many variables when it comes to stability issues: rear shocks, swingarm bushings, bearings (steering head, wheel), rims, tires, fork springs & oil, road conditions, frame flex (mine's around the steering head), engine mounts...
Maybe it's just how fast you're going... :whistle:

What will work for one bike might not work for another. It's so easy to try though if you're curious. Takes five minutes to set up. Start with maybe 1/2 to 3/4" and see if you like it.

Post edited by: dutchz, at: 2006/07/18 12:21
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

Thoughts on clip-ons? 22 Jul 2006 04:38 #63831

• vic44139
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
wireman wrote:

try a set of aluminum dirtbike bars with removable cross brace .

I went with the Moto-X bars. They have only a half inch rise...but not too low to be uncomfortable. Here is a pic.

Post edited by: vic44139, at: 2006/07/22 07:40
Attachments:

Thoughts on clip-ons? 22 Jul 2006 09:02 #63860

• Torch
  • Torch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for all the help guys, i'm going to go ahead and drop the front a little just to see how it works out. I haven't got to ride the bike yet since its not been in that great of running condition with the carb problem. So i guess if i go ahead and lower the fork now, then i'll never know a difference and i'll just get use to the way it handles with them up through the tree.

Thoughts on clip-ons? 22 Jul 2006 13:52 #63899

• Torch
  • User
KZReeder wrote:

I've got these clip-ons on right now... gotta admit, a little uncomfortable around town but fine at 60mph.

They're mounted above the triple clamp like you described.

- Claude

<br><br>Post edited by: KZReeder, at: 2006/07/14 07:31

Hey KZ....what are your thoughts on removing the gauges? You regret it any...any problems from the fuzz? My tach is bashed to crap from a standing drop the PO let happen and it looks really really nasty. None of my idiot lights work anyway...and i think it looks really clean without the massive conglomeration of gauges and idiot lights.

Post edited by: Torch, at: 2006/07/22 16:53

Thoughts on clip-ons? 22 Jul 2006 19:03 #63952

• caffcruiser
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I dunno... I've got clip ons mounted VERY low on my forks, with my headlamp ears mounted right below them on the lower clamp and I love them. I like how the bike handles, and how the "feel" is.

It's kinda your own call. Don't listen to others. Just get a set and see what you think. :)

Thoughts on clip-ons? 23 Jul 2006 11:24 #64059

• Torch
  • User
OK, so im sold on clip-ons. Wheres the best place to get some for a decent price that is known to fit our fork tubes?

Thoughts on clip-ons? 23 Jul 2006 12:07 #64062

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Torch wrote:

OK, so im sold on clip-ons. Wheres the best place to get some for a decent price that is known to fit our fork tubes?

I'm not sure what the fork tube diameter is on your bike, but eBay has a lot of them listed in various sizes and prices:
CLIP-ONS

There's also another option you can go with, they're basically clubman bars with the adjustability of clip-ons:
Tommaselli Clubman bars
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Thoughts on clip-ons? 23 Jul 2006 19:45 #64116

• Torch
  • User
I just went out and measured the fork tubes....36mm on my 78 KZ1000 B2. Thanks for the ebay link...looks like a decent selection on some clip-ons.

Thoughts on clip-ons? 24 Jul 2006 14:58 #64329

• RedneckSamurai
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
37mm will work with a little beer can shimming;)
1977 KZ650
1976 KZ900ltd
1976 KZ900 A4

Thoughts on clip-ons? 25 Jul 2006 14:09 #64643

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I bought mine at Airtech www.motobody.com for 75 bucks. They're black powdercoated and are long enough to fit the master cylinder etc. I like 'em.
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.