• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ front fork choice 16 Feb 2019 22:43 #798795

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Aloha guys.

I did some search on this forum but couldn't what I was looking for. Search the net, and I get a conflicting, if not confusing results so decided to ask you guys here.

I'm looking for front fork set if possible, but at least set of front fork for my 82 KZ/GPz 750. Now, I did look through evilbay and found some, but shipping to here kills a very good deal. Anyway, if I must, I'll pay that shipping but first, wanted to see if there are other option.

So my question is, just what will interchange with my front fork? My inner tube are pitted with rust and it's beyond repair, so I'm looking for good set of replacement. came across few KZ650 forks with complete triple. Few was from bigger KZ, but most 750 forks I came across are from LTD model, which have the axle location in front of the fork tube which I want to avoid. I also have choice of Zephyr forks but as much as possible, I want to avoid 17-inch wheels (I know the 1100 were 18-inch, but hard to come by). But the price I see in Japan are very compatible with older forks sold in evilbay, so keeping my options open for that as well.

Anybody selling front fork set for KZ?
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ front fork choice 17 Feb 2019 07:59 #798804

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Have you considered replacing the fork tubes? Forking by Frank is one option. or get NOS or new replicas. probably expensive.

Other forks. The 82 750-R1 has the same steering stem (lower triple) as the KZ750-L3 & KZ700, so I'd guess you could use a set of those forks & swap the upper triple with yours. The other 750L models probably had the same forks as the L3, but the L1/L2/L4 weren't sold in the USA.

The 750-L3 & KZ700 are very similar to each other and I think both are similar to the R1. probably the biggest difference in the forks is that the R1 has the air balancer assy connecting the fork tubes. The L3 & 700 don't have that.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

KZ front fork choice 17 Feb 2019 08:25 #798806

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
Get them rechromed?
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

KZ front fork choice 17 Feb 2019 09:21 #798809

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
If you mean rechrome the tubes...it's done but not all chrome shops do it. You could try Z1E for a new set...not sure if they have them but I've bought tubes for my Z1.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

KZ front fork choice 17 Feb 2019 20:03 #798845

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member
Thanks guys. Yeah, I was looking for 750L or 700-A1 but didn't come across, at least when I was looking for it. Found lots of 650 forks, and I was leaning towards that one. But wasn't sure about the fork length so still looking for it. And yes, I did try look for inner tube, but I couldn't find it, even from Z1E.

I have a trip coming up, so still looking at Zephyr forks which looks very good each time I check as the price is very compatible with the forks sold in evilbay. But that 17-incher.................Want stick with 18-inch for that nostalgic look and handling. Not to mention the ride height as well.
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

KZ front fork choice 18 Feb 2019 05:44 #798849

• martin_csr
  • User
Have you measured your fork tubes? I would remove a fork tube to measure it & take good pics for comparison.
Go ahead & measure the damper rod (inner cylinder) & fork spring as well. I would disassemble both forks.

Partzilla >> 1982 KZ750-R1 >> Front forks >> EB & google search = 44013-1089

EB ITALY >> TNK brand Fork Inner Tube Chromed 36 X 615 Mm Kawasaki KZ750 GPz 1982 82

TNK Direct Web Shop

Forking by Frank

Ships to USA only, but linked the item for comparison to yours:
EB >> KZ700 Forks >> EB search = kz700 forks.

KZ front fork choice 18 Feb 2019 23:07 #798869

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member

martin_csr wrote: Have you measured your fork tubes? I would remove a fork tube to measure it & take good pics for comparison.
Go ahead & measure the damper rod (inner cylinder) & fork spring as well. I would disassemble both forks.

Partzilla >> 1982 KZ750-R1 >> Front forks >> EB & google search = 44013-1089

EB ITALY >> TNK brand Fork Inner Tube Chromed 36 X 615 Mm Kawasaki KZ750 GPz 1982 82

TNK Direct Web Shop

Forking by Frank

Ships to USA only, but linked the item for comparison to yours:
EB >> KZ700 Forks >> EB search = kz700 forks.

Thanks martin_csr. I been looking at those as well, but with that price, specially for both tubes, I can buy a fork set for Zephyr for way cheaper. Right now, I'm debating if I should stick with stock fork which let me have the 18-inch wheel up front or go with more modern fork with 17-incher. I don't mind going to 17-inch. It's just more involve as I probably need to change out back to more modern setting such as Zephyr swingarm to go with the front setup (which I don't mind as well. More money, but at least I have stronger and nice looking arm). I'm also worry about the ground clearance, specially with 4-1.

What to do, what to do....................

KZ front fork choice 19 Feb 2019 07:49 #798877

• martin_csr
  • User
Another possible option is the KZ1000P Police.
These models were pretty much unchanged throughout the entire model run from 1982 to 2005.
18" x 2.15 Fr wheel & 38mm fork tubes. The 1000P is listed in the All-Balls-Racing fork conversion chart for the 1982 750-R1.
I don't know if you could use your front wheel & brake rotors or if you'd have to use spacers to line up the rotors or to align the wheel between the forks.

All Balls Racing >> fork conversion

Ohio Cafe Racers >> fork tube size chart

KZ front fork choice 19 Feb 2019 21:36 #798910

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member
!!!! I completely forgot about the police bike.

Now, my to do list for the weekend will be to look for police bike forks.

By any chance, do you know if they offer flat top triple clamp?

KZ front fork choice 20 Feb 2019 05:27 #798917

• martin_csr
  • User
No, the 1000P Police upper triple isn't flat. see fork diagram at Partzilla. :)

Another model with 18" Fr wheel >> ZG1000 Concours >> 18" Fr wheel & flat upper triple >> KZ type forks.

Alternative to the Zephyr 750 >>> ZRX1100/1200 >> 17" Fr wheel & flat upper triple >> cartridge forks.
Japan may have had other ZRX models. There was a ZRX400.

KZ front fork choice 20 Feb 2019 10:19 #798938

• Daftrusty
  • User
  • Thank you received: 184

Ojisan rider wrote:
Thanks martin_csr. I been looking at those as well, but with that price, specially for both tubes, I can buy a fork set for Zephyr for way cheaper. Right now, I'm debating if I should stick with stock fork which let me have the 18-inch wheel up front or go with more modern fork with 17-incher. I don't mind going to 17-inch. It's just more involve as I probably need to change out back to more modern setting such as Zephyr swingarm to go with the front setup (which I don't mind as well. More money, but at least I have stronger and nice looking arm). I'm also worry about the ground clearance, specially with 4-1.

What to do, what to do....................

Ironically I have the entire front suspension (and in mint condition) from my kz750e you could use, but shipping would cost three times more than it is worth.
But I mainly want to dispel your fear of ground clearance issues with using Zephyr forks with a 17" front wheel. The Zephyr 550 or 750 front end literally bolts onto your bike with nothing more than new bearings. ( This only makes sense if you are also using the Zephyr wheel, otherwise it is way too much work to put a 19" kz/gpz wheel on a Zephyr front end. But then you will need to address your rear wheel and swing arm so they match.....) The smaller diameter front wheel will improve handling feel and the Zephyr forks are a larger diameter which which will reduce flex and also improve handling to a small degree.
Lastly, I have zero issues with ground clearance and my exhaust header using the Zephyr suspension and 17" front wheel as can be seen in the attached photo.
Hope this helps.

Attachments:

KZ front fork choice 20 Feb 2019 11:02 #798941

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
Great looking bike Daftrusty :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Have to wait for parts from US for my Project bike. Got a delivery notification card and have to go to the customs authorities tomorrow.
Maybe i have to pay some extra value added tax :angry: :angry: :angry:

• Page: