Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ front fork choice 20 Feb 2019 15:21 #798949

• Daftrusty
  • User
  • Thank you received: 184

Scirocco wrote: Great looking bike Daftrusty :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Have to wait for parts from US for my Project bike. Got a delivery notification card and have to go to the customs authorities tomorrow.
Maybe i have to pay some extra value added tax :angry: :angry: :angry:

Thanks!
Shipping prevents me from ordering a lot of non US parts that I want. The Canadians (and pretty much the rest of the world) got the kz750 valve covers without the emissions reed valves and instead have the DOHC embossed on the top. But shipping a valve cover from Canada ( 300 Miles away) was twice the asking price. I just bought reed cover block off plates instead. I once bought a triple tree from a salvage yard in England and had it shipped to a hotel in London where my wife was staying for work. She then flew it home in her luggage because the shipping to the US was five times more than the part was worth.
Shipping prices is also why I can't get rid of half of the parts I need to sell. Nobody locally wants the entire front end and rear end off a kz750, a zr550 engine or a titled zr550 frame, but shipping them just is just too expensive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ front fork choice 20 Feb 2019 23:13 #798971

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 64

Daftrusty wrote: Ironically I have the entire front suspension (and in mint condition) from my kz750e you could use, but shipping would cost three times more than it is worth.But I mainly want to dispel your fear of ground clearance issues with using Zephyr forks with a 17" front wheel. The Zephyr 550 or 750 front end literally bolts onto your bike with nothing more than new bearings. ( This only makes sense if you are also using the Zephyr wheel, otherwise it is way too much work to put a 19" kz/gpz wheel on a Zephyr front end. But then you will need to address your rear wheel and swing arm so they match.....) The smaller diameter front wheel will improve handling feel and the Zephyr forks are a larger diameter which which will reduce flex and also improve handling to a small degree.
Lastly, I have zero issues with ground clearance and my exhaust header using the Zephyr suspension and 17" front wheel as can be seen in the attached photo.
Hope this helps.

That's a very clean and nice looking bike! I love earlier Z/KZ series. They are awesome bike! Too bad I can have any here. No, not the money. They just not available here. I do come across them one in a while, but not enough.

Anyway, thanks for the info on Zephyr forks. Yeah, I do have friends in Japan so I'll definitely look into their fork. I had my eyes on their 400 models as they are plentiful and I know it's 39mm but still better than our 36mm. 750 41mm looks nice too but not too many of them are out there (due to Japan's motorcycle licensing system). Now, I need to somehow convince my wife I need a big big box to fit the Zephyr wheels.................(she won't know that the wheels will be in the box).
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: