Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

new chain loose? 21 Jun 2006 06:42 #55954

• squints
  • squints's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
If you know anything about the chain/sprocket set-up on a '82 kz1000CSR than please read on:

Ok here's the general summary, I went on a road trip and while out and about I noticed my chain was extremely loose, sadly I failed to notice this before causing problems. Beginner mistake. Anyway, I took it to the local shop where sure enough, the sprockets had been chewed up. As a result, I ended up getting new sprockets and a new chain. Since I was on the road and despret they cut me a break and got me out in a day.

Here's where the real trouble starts. On my 1000 mile journey home, I start paying special attention to this new chain sprocket set-up since I don't want to have this same problem again. As it happens about half way home the chain seems loose, really loose. I mean super loose. So, I tighten it up according to my manual. Go another couple hundred and bam, it's loose AGAIN. So, I tighten it up again. I get miles from home and check, and BLAM the damn chain is loose again!

My buddies and I assumed that a new chain would stretch a little but not this much. I am at the point were I cannot tighten the chain anymore without removing a few links. But before I do, is there anything I should check out first. Please, any help would be great. I think theres something loose with the front sprocket, but I dont know that much about chains in general, Ive only had shaft driven bikes up until this point. Its an '82 kz1000CSR.
traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

new chain loose? 21 Jun 2006 09:07 #55993

• kwakagoose
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
They always throw on a cheap new chain and charge you for a quality chain price. "That how they keep the lights on". Had that same problems. Do the bigger fatter chain yourself. Goodluck.

new chain loose? 21 Jun 2006 10:44 #56017

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
Get that cover off and inspect the front sprocket! That's first. Kawagoose is right cheapies stretch a lot! The shop most likely had cheap bulk chain. But when you're on the road you're also at the mercy. The stretch does sound a little excessive.

new chain loose? 21 Jun 2006 11:03 #56021

• squints
  • User
I'm really hoping its just the cheaper chain, but the kid at the shop told me it was still a quality chain. Since the kz1000 chain is a beast and they dont usually have ones that size in stock, they had to overnight a new one.

But, when I remove that cover, what should I be looking for. If the front sprocket it loose, will it be abviously loose? What gets me is that they installed both a new front and rear sprocket, and tightened the new chain before sending me off. I dont get how it could get so loose so quick. Could I have messed something else up while riding before the repairs. Any ideas?????? Before the repair, I drove about 40-50 miles with a stretched chain skipping and jumping teeth (scary).

Upstate NY

new chain loose? 21 Jun 2006 12:07 #56035

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
standard chain, no 0-rings
not lubed prior to installation
not cleaned or lubed for 1000 miles
it could easily be worn out again.

-duck

new chain loose? 21 Jun 2006 13:37 #56062

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
non "O"ring chain needs to be lubed at every fuel stop or sooner on a road trip. They generate a lot of heat and begin to gald the pin and roller to the plates. hence frozen links. the crunchy sound is saying I need another set of sprockets and a big "RK" O-Ring chain

expensive chain will strech at the begining of it's life and set into a wear pattern . no worries

cheap chain streches all the time. up to a half of a link as time and heat go on

Post edited by: trippivot, at: 2006/06/21 17:58

new chain loose? 22 Jun 2006 05:23 #56189

• squints
  • User
I really was good about lubing the chain. We'd gas every 100 miles and do them all. But yes, it was alot of hard riding.

What is this o-ring you all speak of. Is it a component of the chain or the sproket? How important is it in terms of chain life.

AND, would I be better off getting a new chain or trying to remove a link from the current one?:S Thanks!!

Upstate NY

new chain loose? 22 Jun 2006 11:09 #56274

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I would just replace it to be safe, but I'm anal that way.

z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2577

Post edited by: mariozappa, at: 2006/06/22 14:10
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

new chain loose? 22 Jun 2006 11:15 #56277

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
the o-ring chain has a seal between the ends of the roller and pin. it keeps the grease in and the dirt out. stillneeds cleaning to keep dirt fromeating up the o-rings. there is also 'X' ring chain. It has a seal with 'X' cross section instear of 'O' cross section. Effectively a double seal.

-Duck

new chain loose? 22 Jun 2006 12:32 #56299

• squints
  • User
mariozappa wrote:

I would just replace it to be safe, but I'm anal that way.

z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2577

Post edited by: mariozappa, at: 2006/06/22 14:10

That chain is $103. Damn. I assume that that is the best price around. Usually online stores are a better price than any shop.

Now on to my next question. How difficult is this procedure, putting on a new chain? Does it come with a master link so I can fit size it or is it already connected? I have a 15 tooth sprocket in front and a 41 in back. I will most likely just go ahead and buy this new chain, but I would love to save money on labor from a shop, plus I'd love to learn how by myself.

Thanks Duck and MarioZappa

Upstate NY

new chain loose? 22 Jun 2006 13:07 #56308

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Putting on a new chain is fairly easy.
This is the tool I use for my 530 chain with a split link connection.
Tool at Dennis Kirk

I'm not sure what they make for a 630 chain, but maybe somebody else with a fat Kaw will chime in here.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/06/25 23:27
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

new chain loose? 22 Jun 2006 22:58 #56445

• rattler
  • User
this time check the tensial strenght of the chain and make sure it rate for the cc's of your bike before you order one.. also stay away from any parts unlimited chains(junk). i use the d.i.d. 530 x-ring chain. a o-ring is just as good. a 140 link chain ran me 190 dollars.

if you want to get the most out of your chains replace your sprockets every time you get a new chain.

Post edited by: rattler, at: 2006/06/23 01:59

• Page: