Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Need help with squeeky brakes 23 Apr 2006 04:57 #41806

• DesertWizardB1
  • DesertWizardB1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Can anyone here offer any suggestions? My front and rear brakes always squeek on my 77 Kz1000. I tried replacing the pads with non-metallic vesrahs. I used a dual action sander on the rotors to break the glaze and put the anti squeek stuff that looks like rtv on the pad backing plates and they still squeek:angry:. Should I try another type of pad? I'm running out of ideas.
Len

77 KZ 1000 LTD Original Owner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need help with squeeky brakes 23 Apr 2006 09:40 #41842

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 238
Some pads will squeel. There's nothing in the World that I've ever tried that worked other than trying a different set of pads. I was buying stock Kawasaki pads and they never squeel, but got so dang expensive I put in a set of Vesras and they worked OK but wore out in 1/3 the miles of the stock Kawasaki part. I thought it was still a better deal since the Kawasaki part is way more than 3 times the price of a vesra so I opted for another set of vesra, and they squeeled so bad the bike was not ridable. I then tryed a couple other brands and they squeeled so bad it was to embarrasing to even ride, so back to Kawasaki parts only regardless of price. Watch ebay for brakes. They pop up often.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Need help with squeeky brakes 23 Apr 2006 13:28 #41881

• DesertWizardB1
  • User
Yeah I hear ya Ron. The original pads were quiet but is has been hit or miss since. I thought the problem was with metallic pads so I bought these cheap non-metallic vesrahs and the noise is embarassing. Can you still get brakes from Kawasaki or are you talking about NOS? All the things I did in the above post helped but after only one 60 mile ride I can start to hear them so it will probably only get worse. Thanks for the advice.
Len

Need help with squeeky brakes 23 Apr 2006 14:50 #41889

• RonKZ650
  • User
I think Kawasaki still sells brakes, but they are way upward of $100 for each set of pads.

Need help with squeeky brakes 23 Apr 2006 21:39 #42021

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
If the pad you are using is "one-piece" use a hacksaw and place a cut in it to divide it in to "two sections". Cut only down to wear indicator. Or try braking later and harder. That is the only way I could get the front brakes on my 650 to stop squealing.

Need help with squeeky brakes 24 Apr 2006 00:20 #42057

• uk_kev
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
This seems to be universal as my 650 does the same, I wonder are you using solid or drilled rotors, does it make a difference?

Need help with squeeky brakes 24 Apr 2006 05:23 #42081

• DesertWizardB1
  • User
RomSpaceKnight wrote:

If the pad you are using is "one-piece" use a hacksaw and place a cut in it to divide it in to "two sections". Cut only down to wear indicator. Or try braking later and harder. That is the only way I could get the front brakes on my 650 to stop squealing.

Interesting suggestion, in which direction should I make the cut?

thanks,
Len

Need help with squeeky brakes 24 Apr 2006 16:20 #42284

• RonKZ650
  • User
DesertWizardB1 wrote:

RomSpaceKnight wrote:

Interesting suggestion, in which direction should I make the cut?

thanks,

You cut straight across the pad so the cut runs directly across the brake rotor. Just for info, I tried this, tried the red auto stop squeel crap, sanded the rotors and pads. If any of this works, great, but I would highly bet against it.

Need help with squeeky brakes 25 Apr 2006 07:05 #42469

• rammy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I use to work a a well known brake shop chain and had this problem alot.What the problem is is the sharp edges that form on the pads.If you bevel the edges of the material the squeeking is eliminated 90% of the time.
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

Need help with squeeky brakes 25 Apr 2006 07:16 #42474

• RonKZ650
  • User
rammy wrote:

I use to work a a well known brake shop chain and had this problem alot.What the problem is is the sharp edges that form on the pads.If you bevel the edges of the material the squeeking is eliminated 90% of the time.

Most pads are beveled already when you buy them for Kawasaki brakes anyway. Just for info, I also tried this with no success. As far as I know I tried every method there is and nothing helped one molicule. I really thought it rediculous manufacturers could sell brakes they either didn't test for conformity to the given task, or flat didn't care that the product was unusable. This went for Forodo, EBC and Vesra. All 3 will not work, unless you are very lucky, which I am not I guess.

Need help with squeeky brakes 25 Apr 2006 09:32 #42509

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Has anyone ever tried anti-squeal shims?
They always worked for me on cars like magic! I made my own out of shim stock. I've never had to try them on bikes though.

My EBC pads have never sqealed enough to be a problem on my gpz550. Every now an then I get a tiny squeak if it's really humid out.

Need help with squeeky brakes 25 Apr 2006 12:21 #42555

• wireman
  • Visitor
we used to cut multiple grooves across rear brake pads,but it was done to lessen the affect of rear brake so wheel would not lock up so easily when you are playing real hard.the brake pads they make now dont work like the good ol stock kawasaki pads in my opinion if you can get stock pads reasonably priced go with them. ;)

• Page: