Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Need help with squeeky brakes 25 Apr 2006 17:47 #42642

• DesertWizardB1
  • DesertWizardB1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for all the replies. rammy, that's a good idea but unfortunately the pads are already beveled. loudhvx, when I replaced the pads on my wife's car I saved the shims from the old brakes because I was thinking the same thing. I will have to cut them to the right size. I just hope with the increased thickness I will still be able to fit the pads over the rotor. If I can't find original Kawasaki pads like wireman and Ronkz650 suggested at a reasonable price I will try the shims and post the results.
thanks,
Len

77 KZ 1000 LTD Original Owner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need help with squeeky brakes 08 May 2006 19:31 #46036

• DesertWizardB1
  • DesertWizardB1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Well I think I finally quieted down these brakes by trying every suggestion in this thread. First, I decided to go back to the first set of pads that I replaced becaused they squeeled because they didn't squeel as bad as the new vesrah pads. These pads had straight edges so I beveled them. Then I cut a groove in the pads with a hacksaw blade. Finally, I cut shims for the piston side pad and put anti-squeel goop between the pad and shim and compressed it in a vise until it dried. I also put the same goop on the back of the other pad. I have put about 100 miles on the brakes and there still quiet without the slightest squeek. Here is a pic of the shim I cut out of an old car shim. Thanks to all that replied for your suggestions.

users.adelphia.net/~lbilling/images/motorcycle/brakepads.JPG
Len

77 KZ 1000 LTD Original Owner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: