Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

stock exhaust baffles 05 Oct 2006 19:49 #82115

• unkle fester
  • unkle fester's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
on a 78 KZ650B2....can you punch out the baffles like is done on HD bikes??? I have seen people get a long piece of rebar and stick it in the muffler and hammer through the baffle in order to get more exhaust noise..Don't know the muffler design on the inside...is this possible????....thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

stock exhaust baffles 05 Oct 2006 19:55 #82119

• unkle fester
  • unkle fester's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
SHIT!!!!!...Moderator, please move this to the engine section...I am a dumb ass..please forgive me for I know not what I am doing....

stock exhaust baffles 05 Oct 2006 19:56 #82120

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I heard of punching a hole with rebar too. Our muffler baffles are spot welded to the outside skin. I would think it is better to get a drill and do it than punch a hole through the middle and risk busting off the baffle. You can weld a drill onto the end of a straight rod to get the length you need.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

stock exhaust baffles 07 Oct 2006 05:29 #82407

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
Arm & Hammer mechanics.....
1)bust through a baffel and you will reduce back pressure. This could lead to a bike that need rejetting.

2)All of the jap stock exhausts that get screwed with sound like crap in my humble opinion. Remember it is harder to go back if it sounds like crap.

3) If ya want that HD sound get a HD

4)If you don't like the tone of your farts do you pound a rebar rod up there?

Conclusion: If ya want a performance exhaust or if you only want one that pisses off your neighbor from hell or you want to be neighbor from hell get a aftermarket made for the bike.

in my humble opinion....of course! :ohmy: :blink: :huh:
Oh sorry about the fart comment it's not usually the tone that bothers me...... :sick:

stock exhaust baffles 07 Oct 2006 08:16 #82429

• vegasjetskier
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm not sure if yours are the same as mine, but on my bike the baffles are just spot welded to the housing in the inside rear of the pipe.

Years ago when I decided that I wanted more noise from my bike, I removed the baffles by using a dremel tool to carefully grind away the spot welds. I pulled the baffles out as a unit with vicegrips. I then swisscheesed the internal baffles and connecting tubes ahead of the rear baffle using a drill. I put the baffles back into the housing and held them in place with two sheetmetal screws through the rear baffle from the outside of the housing.

It was WAY too loud for me and caused mixture problems. I tried wrapping the baffle tubes with steel wool like a glasspack. The headers got too hot.

I decided I wanted to go back to stock. So I removed the baffles again and fabricated sheetmetal plates to cover all the holes I had drilled. Put it back together and it runs fine. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't messed with it in the first place.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others." - Voltaire :)

stock exhaust baffles 07 Oct 2006 08:50 #82435

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Last year I sold a 1980 KZ650 to a young local guy, he stopped by a few weeks later and asked what I thought about punching the baffles out. I told him I thought it was a bad idea but if he was going to do it then he would probably need to rejet the carbs, like usual he didn't listen.
I heard him cruising pass my house a couple of times a day (I could hear him from a mile away) for the next few weeks, then I didn't hear him any more.
One of his friends stopped by a few weeks later and told me the motor didn't have any compression in two cylinders and when they pulled the head off two pistons had holes in them.

One of his buddies told him I didn't know what I was talking about and punching the baffles out would have no affect on the jetting :D :D

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/10/07 11:51
KD9JUR

stock exhaust baffles 07 Oct 2006 10:43 #82455

• KZReeder
  • User
I was running an open mac header and saw a KZ with cut down stock pipes that I liked... I had a set that were rusty in the back so I cut them off right in front of the baffles, so now I've got two shorty megaphones... it effected the jetting quite a bit... I had to go up 2 on the mains and 2 on the pilots from what I was running with the mac... as well as doing some tweeking with the needles... runs good now though(today):)

I say all that to agree with the other comments... if you open up the stock pipes, you will run lean and it will cause your bike to run hotter which could damage your motor if it is not resolved correctly.

Ps. I love the sound of my bike now... I like loud :woohoo:

Later, Claude

stock exhaust baffles 08 Oct 2006 13:38 #82638

• Bob_79KZ
  • User
GREAT...Just GREAT...that's what we need...another POS loud motorcycle. Maybe you could put cards in the spokes too...

IMHO,
Bob

stock exhaust baffles 08 Oct 2006 14:25 #82645

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Bob_79KZ wrote:

GREAT...Just GREAT...that's what we need...another POS loud motorcycle. Maybe you could put cards in the spokes too...

IMHO,
Bob

Whats wrong with a loud bike? I like them loud
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

stock exhaust baffles 08 Oct 2006 15:39 #82661

• Bob_79KZ
  • User
77KZ650 wrote:

Bob_79KZ wrote:

IMHO,
Bob

Whats wrong with a loud bike? I like them loud

Huh? What?...turn off that loud POS...I can't hear you!!

Bob
Ever notice how the smaller a bike is the louder it is.

Post edited by: Bob_79KZ, at: 2006/10/08 18:43

stock exhaust baffles 08 Oct 2006 15:48 #82664

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
I like to hit things with baseball bats too. Should I be able to stand next to you beating a 55 gallon drum? Or ride by your house beating that drum while your 3 year old daughter tries to get some sleep after chronic ear infections? Or me after doing a triple shift and knowing I have to go back in 8. Just happens my rest is during the day when most people figure everyone is awake and marveling at that ear splitting sound coming from your bike/car/mouth/stereo! Loud bikes belong on the strip and not in the neighborhoods. There are lots of things I like but have enough respect for fellow human beings as to not do them or find the right place to do them. The day you find me walking around naked and drinking you will know I'm in your corner. But don't hold your breath (It would be better to cover your eyes) Lately I hear a lot of bikers saying they get no respect but I think a rider going by my house at anytime with straights or bipping the throttle trying the "Look at me I got a hot bike or car"! really dosen't deserve the respect, afterall he is giving none. I really like the sound of a good tuned exhaust. You don't have to like what I like but, you don't have to be a jerk either. Anyway thats whats wrong with a loud bike.

stock exhaust baffles 08 Oct 2006 16:41 #82671

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
ambergrismooon wrote:

(everything that I'd have writ, only he wrote it better)