Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

stock exhaust baffles 08 Oct 2006 16:54 #82672

• KZReeder
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Just came back in from a nice 2 hour loud ride it was awesome!! What a great dayB)

Went out of town and followed a buddy of mine on his Harley doing a 45 mph jaunt through the country side for a while then waived and peeled off for an 80 mph pass down the highway and got passed by a guy on a sport bike who waived on the way by... turned off and took the bypass and a couple of other roads around our town and prolly saw about 40 different bikes at different times and of different styles and sizes... everyone was waiving and nodding and smiling at each other like we were all going to the same family reunion. The bike ran better than it ever has and all the motorbike planets were aligned.

Then I came back to this... :dry: sheesh! Who cares what the other guy rides, hang out with people that you like, get off the computer for a while and go riding man... it's what it's all about.

Cheers,
Claude

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

stock exhaust baffles 08 Oct 2006 16:56 #82673

• kawsakiman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
boy is this turning into a hot topic! i have heard both sides of this agruement before and got to say i'm kinda stuck in the middle on this one.i like my stock 650 and the quiet sound i get from it but on the other hand,i like my other one with the header. i ran it wide open for awhile but re-inserted the baffel without the wrap and a couple extra holes drilled in it. i found i needed some backpressure because i could not tune out the flat spot. my point is everyone has their own preference. some like stock, some like mods. who is to say which one is right? and who the hell are you to tell me what to do with my bike? run quiet and noone hears you and uses that as an excuase or piss off some people. make your own choice.then live with your decision. just my 2 cents
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

stock exhaust baffles 08 Oct 2006 17:26 #82677

• vegasjetskier
  • User
What I really LOVE (sarcasm intended) are the HOG riders who open up their exhausts, then are looking all around for their ear plugs so they can ride their bikes!:ohmy:

stock exhaust baffles 08 Oct 2006 17:36 #82682

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
KZReeder wrote:

Glad you had a good day.

Then I came back to this... :dry: sheesh! Who cares what the other guy rides, hang out with people that you like, get off the computer for a while and go riding man... it's what it's all about...

Sorry, but no.

Couldn't care less what anybody else chooses to ride either, but as the point has previously been posed, as of last week there's 300 million other people occupying these 50 Estados Unidos, and it's a worthy idea to get along with at least a few of them.

A few months back, there was a guy making the rounds on a rat green Valkyrie that apparently he'd re-barred the baffles on and and had done a piss-poor job of at that.

I don't mind a well-tuned exhaust with a little volume either - I've owned a few - but this thing was just ear-splitting, shit-running loud - a distinction it seems all-too-few loud pipers seem to make.

Anyways, I'm sitting on my bike parked along the street with dozens of other bikes when this Jasper lights out on that shrieking refugee from Gotterdamerung, and not one face in the crowd turned to look with anything resembling admiration for that display of sheer ear-splitting noise. He's lucky they were dispensing beer in cups, elsewise he might have with a new Bud Light tattoo - on his forehead.

An older couple on an HD dresser pulled out just afterwards, and from around a corner, here' comes a cop that heard the racket from across the square. Latching on to the first bike he saw as the suspect, he hits the lights, pulls over the innocent and is giving them hell before a couple of people pointed out he had the wrong culprit.

So no, it ain't just an issue of "hang with who you like" - whether you care to admit it or not, other people are involved, and in the odd instance, may be penalized for some other twerp's fascination with decibels...

Saw that same green-rat Valkyrie the other day, and geeze - it was suddenly a whole lot more mellow on the exhaust. Sure-fire bet that either "the people he hangs with" - or John Law - convinced him that busting windows on Main Street might be his idea of fun, but it sure wasn't anybody else's idea of *sweet music*.

stock exhaust baffles 08 Oct 2006 18:19 #82688

• KZReeder
  • User
Pterosaur wrote:

A few months back, there was a guy making the rounds on a rat green Valkyrie that apparently he'd re-barred the baffles on and and had done a piss-poor job of at that.

I don't mind a well-tuned exhaust with a little volume either - I've owned a few - but this thing was just ear-splitting, shit-running loud - a distinction it seems all-too-few loud pipers seem to make.

Anyways, I'm sitting on my bike parked along the street with dozens of other bikes when...

Ok, I'll buy that... I don't like older out of tune bikes with stupid exhausts on them either. I especially don't like it when they are operated by people that don't consider those around them, but the guy that started this post was merely asking if it was possible to open up his stock pipes and if there was an easy way to do it.

I think we're all on the same team here... it's just a little annoying when someone throws out a blanket statement from a rather narrow perspective, bashing everyone with loud pipes. Gimmee a break my brutha...;)

I'm done now(gets off soap box and ambles away rather awkwardly.)

Cheers,
Claude

Post edited by: KZReeder, at: 2006/10/08 21:22

stock exhaust baffles 08 Oct 2006 19:04 #82700

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
No, give me a break! The thread asked if how easy it is to remove baffeling on stock pipes. The question was answered. Opinions were then offered. Some people don't like loud bikes. They have very good reasons for that. What is the reason for your right to have them? Cause you like them? Glad to know it's all about you! If youre tooling down the interstate or on the back roads of Buttkiss I could give a rats ass. Point is you have to get there and it sometimes seems like your sojorn takes you by my house. If you can keep it quiet go in peace "bruther". But a stock exhaust with the baffels ramroded out is a real bitch to keep quiet. And don't give me the crap about loud is safe. You startle a bluehair when youre passing and she just might introduce you to the meridian. OR you might put her into the ditch. Hey! Maybe you could dround out that siren on the rescue truck! Would that make your nice day? Or even think about yourself? How would you like a 30% hearing loss. Hey maybe you wear earplugs. Then maybe you think we all should. (Kicking over my soapbox, smacking it to bits with my baseball bat and lurching away like I have a very bad rash----out! ;) (Damn that made too much noise!):pinch:

stock exhaust baffles 08 Oct 2006 19:10 #82701

• KZReeder
  • User
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: See you guys later... I'm going to bed.

Post edited by: KZReeder, at: 2006/10/08 22:18

stock exhaust baffles 08 Oct 2006 19:20 #82703

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
To show that there's nothing new under the sun, Gris' Great Granpappy, Mongo Gris, enforces the noise ordinance on a flatulent horse - which is how the expression, "...get the hell out of Dodge!" got started...

(...photo courtesy of the MOoON family album...)
Attachments:

stock exhaust baffles 08 Oct 2006 20:12 #82713

• unkle fester
  • unkle fester's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!......sorry for even asking a question if I knew it was going to get so much shit started...it was a simple question with what I thought would be a simple answer.....not a shit slinging pissing contest........pardon the hell out of me for asking for help.....guess I'll just go back to being a lurker and try to find help by looking in previous posts

stock exhaust baffles 08 Oct 2006 20:58 #82727

• kawsakiman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
ok calm down now fester:lol: no need to lurk in the shadows. a very easy answer is a aftermarket pipe and rejetting if you want a little more sound.imo blowing the baffels out of a stock pipe is a little ghetto when z1enterprises has pipes so cheap. do it right. you'll be much happier with the sound and look afterwards.no shit storm here, just very strong opnions.

Post edited by: kawsakiman, at: 2006/10/08 23:59
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

stock exhaust baffles 08 Oct 2006 21:38 #82730

• sakiguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I myself don't like the "put" "put" sound or look from baffled motorcycles. Just not my preference, but I'll still give you the thumbs up if your riding a KZ. I don't have any baffles, live in CA, and haven't been pulled over once...I've rode with cops beside me a dozen times on the street and they won't give me a second look. A cop did pull to the side of me on the freeway and cracked a smile....but he didn't pulled me over....let's face it, these KZs aren't that loud with no baffles. Only complaint I got was from this eighty year old or so grumpy old who complained about how loud my bike was. He was notorious in the neighborhood for complaining about everything, but out of respect I simply shut off the engine when I turned in the neighborhood and cruised to the house in neutral.

So perhaps that's why I haven't been pulled over prolly, and that's why you won't ever find me looking for ear plugs. Some of those dam Harley and custom guys though are freakishly and insanely loud I don't see how they could ride without ear plugs. So I think if you got a KZ, no baffles is okay. If you got anything else than a KZ, you should have baffles.
1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft

stock exhaust baffles 09 Oct 2006 03:31 #82756

• KZReeder
  • User
Pterosaur wrote:

To show that there's nothing new under the sun, Gris' Great Granpappy, Mongo Gris, enforces the noise ordinance on a flatulent horse - which is how the expression, "...get the hell out of Dodge!" got started...

(...photo courtesy of the MOoON family album...)

:laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: