Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Zx550 short in ic igniter 17 Sep 2019 11:17 #810974

• Carse
  • Carse's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a old gpz hack iv been using for a few month for stunts but its developed a really random fault, it started cutting out at random times and the neutral light would go really dim when in the run position like a short circuit in the ignition system, iv narrowed it down to the igniter, gave it a tap when it cut out and with a loud backfires everything came back to life (did this for about a month) eventually I cracked it open bla bla bla cut away to epoxy crap bla bla bla........ Long story short when it cuts out i hit the igniter or press in this 1 particular spot the coils fire and the bike will run fine but any bump or jolt it cuts out again, I'm assuming a broke connection or solder joint inside the igniter but there's no chance of repair because that epoxy crap got In EVERYTHING and I prob cannot remove it without damage to other parts, is there a cheap alternative to buying a new igniter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Zx550 short in ic igniter 17 Sep 2019 13:46 #810979

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If you're lucky, maybe the problem is in the interlock circuit. You can bypass the external interlock circuitry by connecting the brown/white wire of the igniter directly to ground. This bypasses the neutral switch etc.

The diagrams for the ignition are in this thread:
www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/61144...ignition-wiring-woes

Another possibility, if the igniter definitely cannot be used anymore, is to retrofit an older Kz550 system. You will need the pickup plate and mechanical advancer unit. It should all bolt in. You will also need an older style igniter. They are much cheaper and you can actually build one for cheap.

Or, you can just get the mechanical advancer, then you can use a Dyna S ignition, but that will require new 3-ohm coils.

Zx550 short in ic igniter 17 Sep 2019 23:50 #811000

• Carse
  • User
I don't think they come much older than this thing, it has a set of pick ups and a machanical advancer on the crank already the pn for the igniter is 21119 1113 not sure if another igniter could be used or the gm mod, the igniter I pulled apart is still working it just cuts out occasionally and needs a tap but there's nothing left of it to retro fit anything into, I'll add my own grownd to the brown/white wire and see what happens

Zx550 short in ic igniter 18 Sep 2019 01:31 #811001

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend

Carse wrote: I don't think they come much older than this thing, it has a set of pick ups and a machanical advancer on the crank already...

Why do you say that they don't come any older? You say you have a Zx550. Every other Gpz 550 would be older.
The 1981 Kz550D1 is the first generation Gpz550.
The 1982-1983 Kz550H is the second generation Gpz550.
Yours is the third and the last Gpz550. The 1984-1985 Zx550A is the third generation Gpz550.

Yours did not come with a mechanical advancer originally. It is analog electronic-advance. If it has a mechanical advancer with springs and moving arms, then your bike has been retrofitted.
Please take a photo of what you have so we can see what you are working with.

Carse wrote: the pn for the igniter is 21119 1113

If you are using that igniter, which is the stock igniter for your bike, then you should not have a mechanical advancer. You would have the stock rotor which is just fixed to the crankshaft. It looks like a big wheel with a single tooth.

So a photo or two would clear up what you actually have.

The retrofitting and making an igniter is for using the Kz550 ignition system (which is older) on your Zx550.

In my signature links you will find some Kz550 and Zx550 manuals you can read for comparison of the two different systems.

If your igniter really is bad, the simplest and maybe cheapest solution would be to get another 21119-1113 igniter.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Zx550 short in ic igniter 18 Sep 2019 03:01 #811002

• Carse
  • User
My mistake it doesn't have a machanical advancer on the crank it's just a single lobe, grounding the brown/white wire hasn't done anything, now when I turn the ignition on it fires the coil backfires and then you can start it up :blink: I'm unsure how old the battery is so I'll buy a new one just to rule that out, what's the code for the original battery.

Zx550 short in ic igniter 18 Sep 2019 06:17 #811010

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
YUA BAT YB12A-A Sensr

The generic code is 12A-A.
The original has an acid sensor, but you don't need it, you can use the old one or just connect the wire to a positive 12v terminal to stop the dash board light from flashing.

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: