Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Replacing rectifier/regulator with regulator all in one? 01 Jun 2018 15:05 #784479

• perrykz1000
  • perrykz1000's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Have a safe day !!
  • Thank you received: 32
Anybody done this? I got a combination regulator/rectifier from DB electrical but my 1978 Kawasaki 1000 ltd does not have a plug like on their regulator. Any body done this swap? Their plug has 5 wires with one white wire w/red stripe with bullet connector they say goes to battery. Their plug goes like this.
#1 Ignition (brown wire) Looks like red in picture but, its brown.
#2 Ground (black wire)
#3,#4,#5 Power Coil (yellow wire? Where to hook to? what do I do with whe wire where old regulator plugged into. I see same color wires where rectifier plugged into?? Im lost. Thinking about sending back,taking loss on shipping unless I can get some help.........
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by perrykz1000.

Replacing rectifier/regulator with regulator all in one? 01 Jun 2018 16:00 #784480

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI got one from them. Fried my stator when it shorted.

I then got a REAL Mosfet R/R used on eBay. I ordered two so now I have a spare.

Don't buy a knockoff. A used KZ 1000 R/R would be better than that. If you would like to try the one you have or another type, here goes.
Steve
Old Kaw Man's directions

Attachments:

Last edit: by SWest.

Replacing rectifier/regulator with regulator all in one? 01 Jun 2018 16:16 #784482

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I started a thread on it.
Steve
kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/606920-mosfit

Replacing rectifier/regulator with regulator all in one? 01 Jun 2018 17:07 #784484

• Ronnie_D
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000 A2
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi Guys,

What should the voltage be at the battery with a 1978 KZ1000 be? Mine is around 12.8 with lights and engine running, rev it up and the voltage doesn't go any higher..
I Tested my stator and it is good. So I ordered a reg/reg combo from Z1 Enterprises.

sku # 200-1007

here's a pic of it.
is this a good one?
The fear is running through me now. lol.

Hey SWest... I enjoy your youtube channel.

cheers,
Ron.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Replacing rectifier/regulator with regulator all in one? 01 Jun 2018 18:28 #784487

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI'm starting to sound like a broken record regarding this topic since I've mentioned this information so many times...

A Shindengen SH775 can be found for $40 shipped off ebay and it's a SERIES type R/R which means it helps protect your stator from shunted return current overheat damage. A regular SHUNT type R/R returns all generator current that the bike doesn't consume back to the stator where it generates heat and can fry your stator.

The SH775 has grown in popularity so much that that the OEM's like Polaris that install these units stock have raised their prices from $70 a couple years ago up to $150+ now. Good news though is that cheap used units are readily available and they are super robust. You gotta be careful to not purchase a counterfeit though. That unit that Steve bought is one such unit. You need to buy a real deal SH775 which will have printing on the top showing what it is.

To find these units do an ebay search on "polaris rzr regulator" and then look for one where you can see the printing on the top.
If you can't see the printing message the seller and ask them to confirm. And don't buy a NEW unit for cheap because it's guaranteed to be a fake.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, Togoster

Last edit: by Nessism.

Replacing rectifier/regulator with regulator all in one? 01 Jun 2018 19:15 #784490

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
  • Thank you received: 87
I put an sh775 in mine. It wasn't difficult at all. The total cost I think was under $80.00 plus making a mounting plate for $2.00 It fit easily behind the right side cover of my 78 1000 ltd .
76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

Last edit: by 9er rider.

Replacing rectifier/regulator with regulator all in one? 02 Jun 2018 08:01 #784516

• perrykz1000
  • Sustaining Member
  • Have a safe day !!
I see 3 yellow wires that goes to myold rectifer these are the 3 yellow wires. to hook up to mosfet regulator/rectifier?

Last edit: by perrykz1000.

Replacing rectifier/regulator with regulator all in one? 02 Jun 2018 08:03 #784517

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Yes, they should read at least 50VA/C while running between the three. Do not ground them.
Steve

Last edit: by SWest.

Replacing rectifier/regulator with regulator all in one? 03 Jun 2018 13:04 #784570

• perrykz1000
  • Sustaining Member
  • Have a safe day !!
Steve, Im getting the Mosfet regulator like you are. All I need to do is disconnect and remove the old regulator and rectifier and then connect the 3 stators wire to the 3 terminals on the mosfet regulator and on the two terminal side run the Inside terminal to my + battery post. and the out side one to the - battery post.

ps: I ordered the triumph wire leads too.

Replacing rectifier/regulator with regulator all in one? 03 Jun 2018 14:07 #784574

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
  • Thank you received: 87
does it have a 30 amp fuse going to+ side of battery?
76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

Replacing rectifier/regulator with regulator all in one? 03 Jun 2018 14:19 #784576

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

perrykz1000 wrote: Steve, Im getting the Mosfet regulator like you are. All I need to do is disconnect and remove the old regulator and rectifier and then connect the 3 stators wire to the 3 terminals on the mosfet regulator and on the two terminal side run the Inside terminal to my + battery post. and the out side one to the - battery post.

ps: I ordered the triumph wire leads too.

I have my ground going to a bolt on the frame.
Steve

Replacing rectifier/regulator with regulator all in one? 03 Jun 2018 14:50 #784578

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
Guys, those ebay "MOSFET" units are SHUNT R/R's. A SERIES type is superior, that's why I recommend the Shindengen SH775. The appearance of those ebay units are trying to mimic the Shindengen units but they are inferior.

• Page: