Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

DC4-1 (2.2 ohm coils) anyone have wiring diagrams? 16 Oct 2017 16:02 #773072

• mac0239
  • mac0239's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Dyna DC4-1 Grey Coils. By chance anyone have wiring diagram for these? picked up another KZ1000st and had these on it. Bike has a few issues and not having any luck finding a wiring plan or diagram to confirm it is set up properly so I can cross that possibility off my checklist. Anyone with same ones still happen to have a wiring diagram they can snap a pic of and share? I looked on Dynatek's site and found the coils but nothing as far as wiring plans for it. If anyone has a tip on where to find I am all ears and grateful!!
thanks guys.
Steve
Green 79' KZ1000st engine-1075 Wiseco kit, k&n pods, dyna ig & coils, and very old Kerker 4 into 1 pipes
Other project- orig Red 79' KZ1000st engine-stock so far with mystery black 4/1 header TBD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DC4-1 (2.2 ohm coils) anyone have wiring diagrams? 16 Oct 2017 17:05 #773080

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
There's not much to it... basically the same as any other dual-output Kz coil.

One coil goes to spark plugs 1 and 4, the other goes to plugs 2 and 3.

The primary side gets the small wires. Polarity does not matter.
The small black wires goes to the coil firing cylinders 1 and 4.
The small green wire goes to the coil firing cylinders 2 and 3.

DC4-1 (2.2 ohm coils) anyone have wiring diagrams? 16 Oct 2017 18:16 #773086

• mac0239
  • User
Ok. Thanks man. Will look at the green/black setup and make sure. But pertaining to which wire from 1/4 side goes to 1 and which one goes to 4, is that not important?? That was part that i really wanted clarification on. When i did my other bike with diff coils I had a wire plan that I thought showed me which went to 1 or 4 and also with 2/3 coil which one went to 2 and which to 3. If it doesn't matter that is great but not what I had thought.
Steve
Green 79' KZ1000st engine-1075 Wiseco kit, k&n pods, dyna ig & coils, and very old Kerker 4 into 1 pipes
Other project- orig Red 79' KZ1000st engine-stock so far with mystery black 4/1 header TBD

DC4-1 (2.2 ohm coils) anyone have wiring diagrams? 16 Oct 2017 18:19 #773087

• mac0239
  • User
And if all Dyna coils wire up and go to cylinders the exact same I could just set it up the way i have it on other bike with a Dyna S kit ( green 3 ohm coils). Everyone agree that is ok or a big no no?
Steve

DC4-1 (2.2 ohm coils) anyone have wiring diagrams? 16 Oct 2017 20:42 #773098

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043

mac0239 wrote: Ok. Thanks man. Will look at the green/black setup and make sure. But pertaining to which wire from 1/4 side goes to 1 and which one goes to 4, is that not important?? That was part that i really wanted clarification on. When i did my other bike with diff coils I had a wire plan that I thought showed me which went to 1 or 4 and also with 2/3 coil which one went to 2 and which to 3. If it doesn't matter that is great but not what I had thought.
Steve

Doesn't matter.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

DC4-1 (2.2 ohm coils) anyone have wiring diagrams? 16 Oct 2017 20:43 #773099

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043

mac0239 wrote: And if all Dyna coils wire up and go to cylinders the exact same I could just set it up the way i have it on other bike with a Dyna S kit ( green 3 ohm coils). Everyone agree that is ok or a big no no?
Steve

The brand of coil doesn't matter, the wiring is the same.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

DC4-1 (2.2 ohm coils) anyone have wiring diagrams? 17 Oct 2017 08:11 #773122

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

DC4-1 (2.2 ohm coils) anyone have wiring diagrams? 17 Oct 2017 08:59 #773126

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
As you are probably aware: Don't use the grey coils with the dyna s. The dyna s requires coils that are 3 ohms or higher. The grey coils are 2.2 ohm.

But yes, you can wire the grey coils with the factory ignition same as the green coils with the dyna s.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

DC4-1 (2.2 ohm coils) anyone have wiring diagrams? 17 Oct 2017 10:29 #773133

• mac0239
  • User
Thanks everyone. As always guys on here quick to help out the injured Z's. And thanks for diagram Patton to make it even clearer.
I am having deja vu with this bike as I did with last one. only this time I think I will find solutions a lot faster than first time around. New Carb holders are being shipped from Z1 as I type which were a help the last time around. I have coils set up proper and my carbs which were clean just got cleaned again. Same issue prevails today on a test run where something is wrong, Low pwr and forget getting rpms over 5 g so going to check wiring over and try the new carb holders when they arrive. Good gas, clean tank, fuel filter on fuel line for extra measure, all good. The plug wires in new condition and plugs are B8ES so no issue there. May dblcheck the gap to see if it is off? No idea how old these coils are and if they are OK, the dude I bought it from did not have bike long and did not know any history on em or anything pertaining to it. I popped off the points cover and it confirmed it is electronic ignition and not the same as my Dyna S set up. The IC ignitor is still on bike as well. no markings or anything on ignition to say what it is, have to assume it was proper for the coils on it? All I know when I slapped a new Dyna S set on my other bike it ran like a new bike. I will find that gremlin somehow.

DC4-1 (2.2 ohm coils) anyone have wiring diagrams? 17 Oct 2017 11:44 #773143

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Click here > www.z1enterprises.com/dyna-2000-kit-z1-k...0-zx1100-zn1100.html

and then scroll to the bottom and click on "View Technical Documentation."

Installation info is also included in the Technical Documentation

Among the interesting tidbits noted in a quick scan are that the ignitor is not used and that suppressor spark plug wires are needed (not wire-core).

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

DC4-1 (2.2 ohm coils) anyone have wiring diagrams? 17 Oct 2017 13:06 #773155

• mac0239
  • User
Tks Patton.
Though I am not connecting the dots on that kit with mine? I think though I maybe didn't explain what it is on bike I have the issue with. It has Grey 2.2 Ohm coils and electronic ignition that is not the Dyna-S and it uses the IC Ignitor.,and I am unsure what it is to be honest.. The only ignition I know is Dyna_S cuz that is what I put on my last bike. and this is not the same. No markings on it to give me a hint though I bet there are guys that have worked on these for years that would look at it and know exactly what it is. My last bike I took off the Ignitor ( as per advice)when I put on the Dyna -S and green DC1 coils I am pretty sure I have heard on here that some electronic ignitions use the Ignitor and some don't. This one uses it but I wasn't the one who installed it and I wish it could talk and tell me some info. ha ha. I am searching now in forum for testing protocol on coils to determine they are OK or bad. Part of me wants to just order the Dyna-S kit and Green coils but my wallet says "wait a minute bucko, determine what is wrong first". My wallet rules so I am going to do the time consuming task of eliminating possible issues one by one till I know for sure it isn't something else and not my ignition/coils. If I learned anything from restoring the last KZ1000 it was I was wrong a LOT assuming it was one thing causing a problem only to find it was something else. Good thing I am patient and winter is long here, Was hoping to solve it quick and get a couple nice rides before our snow flies but it's looking like I may have lot's of hours in garage troubleshooting before the roads see me. It is what it is, half the fun of these things is unraveling the knots and making them hum again.

DC4-1 (2.2 ohm coils) anyone have wiring diagrams? 17 Oct 2017 14:53 #773161

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Tell your wallet it's hard to argue with what works :) . But I get your point.

If you post a pic of the timing plate or igniter, we can confirm if it's the factory ignition.

It could be a coil. The green 3 ohm coils would work with the factory ignition and the Dyna S, so you could buy the coils now, and if that doesn't fix it, then try the Dyna S.

Is there a way to swap the coils over from your other bike? That might save some money at the cost of some time.

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: