Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Motogadget M-Unit 01 Nov 2015 07:07 #696702

• JaFlo
  • JaFlo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Anyone using the Motogadget M-Unit? Considering it for my 82 750 build along with the M-Button. The wiring on the bike is a mess. It's been hacked up by the previous owner and is melted in several places. I want to reduce the amount of wiring as much as possible but still want to run turn signals, gauge lights, warnings lights, etc. it seems like an awesome solution but would cost around $500 to implement. I want to run a small lithium battery and tuck everything into an electronics tray under the seat to keep the "triangle" area of the frame open.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Motogadget M-Unit 01 Nov 2015 07:11 #696703

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248

JaFlo wrote: Anyone using the Motogadget M-Unit? Considering it for my 82 750 build along with the M-Button. The wiring on the bike is a mess. It's been hacked up by the previous owner and is melted in several places. I want to reduce the amount of wiring as much as possible but still want to run turn signals, gauge lights, warnings lights, etc. it seems like an awesome solution but would cost around $500 to implement. I want to run a small lithium battery and tuck everything into an electronics tray under the seat to keep the "triangle" area of the frame open.

Yep not running yet though. I used the M-button for the handle bars, so there is only one wire from bars to M-unit. I also splurged on the M-switch so no more ignition key.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
Attachments:

Last edit: by kaw-a-holic.

Motogadget M-Unit 01 Nov 2015 07:12 #696704

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

JaFlo wrote: Anyone using the Motogadget M-Unit? Considering it for my 82 750 build along with the M-Button. The wiring on the bike is a mess. It's been hacked up by the previous owner and is melted in several places. I want to reduce the amount of wiring as much as possible but still want to run turn signals, gauge lights, warnings lights, etc. it seems like an awesome solution but would cost around $500 to implement. I want to run a small lithium battery and tuck everything into an electronics tray under the seat to keep the "triangle" area of the frame open.

Yep not running yet though. I used the M-button for the handle bars, so there is only one wire from bars to M-unit. I also splurged on the M-switch so no more ignition key.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Motogadget M-Unit 01 Nov 2015 07:41 #696709

• JaFlo
  • JaFlo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks good. Did it reduce the amount of wires significantly?

Motogadget M-Unit 01 Nov 2015 20:13 #696830

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
Yes i would say so. Not the M-unit itself but the M-button, because you only have the one wire coming from the hand controls. I am not an electrical guy by any means so it helped to simplify things.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Motogadget M-Unit 01 Nov 2015 20:26 #696833

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
Not everyone wants to send the money on an M-unit. This won't have all the same features but it is significantly cheaper.

www.ultimaproducts.com/electrical.html
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Motogadget M-Unit 05 Nov 2015 09:00 #697344

• rts624
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
This is slightly off topic as I have a KZ400, but I installed the M unit and am really happy with the results. There was a bit of a learning curve but overall I think it's worth the $. I honestly wasn't convinced until it was all said and done but I'd recommend it.

Re:Motogadget M-Unit 05 Nov 2015 20:38 #697408

• Hollywoodmx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16

kaw-a-holic wrote: Not everyone wants to send the money on an M-unit. This won't have all the same features but it is significantly cheaper.

I don't recommend that at all. I tried it on my Yamaha and took it off. It's meant for Harley's with separate right and left controls.
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

Motogadget M-Unit 14 Dec 2015 09:33 #703093

• 3EyedDuke
  • User
  • The Dude Abides...
  • Thank you received: 4
I'm considering the m unit because my wiring is just a nest of wires, literally. Was it easy to figure out? I've no experience with motorcycle wiring and am having a terrible time with trying to root out the problem in my wiring. I'm sure I can figure out plugging in the turn signal wires and the horn and all that stuff, but as far as hooking it up to relays and stuff directly connected to the bike itself like that, was that easy to figure out? Thanks for any info
Through zeal, knowledge is gotten; Through lack of zeal, knowledge is lost.

Motogadget M-Unit 14 Dec 2015 10:24 #703104

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
i've bought two for two different bikes.don't have em going yet but soon :evil: !

looks simple to me.

hth,
leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

Motogadget M-Unit 14 Dec 2015 17:42 #703161

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

3EyedDuke wrote: I'm considering the m unit because my wiring is just a nest of wires, literally. Was it easy to figure out? I've no experience with motorcycle wiring and am having a terrible time with trying to root out the problem in my wiring. I'm sure I can figure out plugging in the turn signal wires and the horn and all that stuff, but as far as hooking it up to relays and stuff directly connected to the bike itself like that, was that easy to figure out? Thanks for any info

The hardest part for me was figuing out my starter relay because it was for a different bike. I re-wired everything. I am not a wiring guru and this was very straight forward. I love the m-Unit.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Re:Motogadget M-Unit 14 Dec 2015 17:49 #703162

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

Hollywoodmx wrote:

kaw-a-holic wrote: Not everyone wants to send the money on an M-unit. This won't have all the same features but it is significantly cheaper.

I don't recommend that at all. I tried it on my Yamaha and took it off. It's meant for Harley's with separate right and left controls.

Hollywood,
I wonder if you could use in with the M-switches from motogadget. They are just push buttons with a common ground.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• Page: