Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Motogadget M-Unit 11 Dec 2019 12:10 #815238

• Dave44
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I'm new here. I am re-wiring my bike for the first time and installed an M-Unit. All the wiring has been very straight forward and I know nothing about electrics. I can get everything to work except the ignition. Revival Cycles has an article saying that if you have a CDI it will not work with an M-Unit unless you place in a relay. Is the IC Igniter a CDI? Has anyone else had any issues wiring the ignition to an M-Unit?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Motogadget M-Unit 12 Dec 2019 07:21 #815267

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If the bike is an inline-four Kz, then the IC igniter is NOT CDI. It is transistorized flyback, AKA transistorized Kettering, sometimes it's called inductive, but that is a bit ambiguous. (CDI does not use a transistor as it's main device, it uses a thyristor.)

CDI is a very specific type of electronic ignition and can be identified by how it's wired. It is often wired very differently from transistorized Kettering, which is probably why it matters on the M-unit.

All that said, you will find many sources online that refer to all Kz ignitions as CDI. Those sources are just simply equating CDI to mean any electronic ignition, and that would be wrong, as anyone trying to wire it would find out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Motogadget M-Unit 12 Dec 2019 15:04 #815283

• Dave44
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
aah, ok that is interesting. Thanks for that. I have a 1982 Gpz750.

• Page: