Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Please help me time my Dyna S... 06 Jul 2006 07:55 #59642

• stever
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Savedrider,

I have received the new Dyna ignition from Jeff at z1 enterprises.

I have to say how impressed I am with how helpfull Jeff has been both in E mailing me advice and in sending out a replacement so quickly. Unlike Dyna them selves who failed to respond until I had sent them 4 e- Mails and then just sent a copy of the instructions that I already had!

Any way I fitted the new unit and had the same problem but not quite as bad, this time by setting both modules as low as possible I managed to get it timed spot on.
I timed it statically then checked it with a strobe and it was bang on, I have not had a chance to ride it yet but it starts straight away no problem. I tryed it with both rotors I had but they made no difference, the problem was definatly with the pick ups.
I am getting the bike dynoed next week to get the carbs set up so I will get them to check the timing to make sure I have not been doing any thing stupid.

How are you getting on with yours?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Please help me time my Dyna S... 06 Jul 2006 16:32 #59731

• savedrider
  • savedrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
stever - First I must say how nice you bike looks! Wow, it looks really clean! Where did you get your rear fender eliminator? I've wanted one for a long time, but every one I've seen for sale is a rip off.

Anyhow as far as the ignition I actually got around today to checking mine with a my new light. I also confirmed my other light was indeed bad as my new light works great! Unfortunately though I still have the same issues with running out of adjustment room. I can get the 1/4 set, but then I never have enough retard adjustment to bring the 2/3 in line. I called Dyna today and talked it over with them. They are sending me yet another rotor. This time after confirming the type of advance I have. However, this rotor is for a Suzuki and he says the magnet should be about 10 degrees advanced.

I'm still skeptical however, especially after hearing how your issue changed with a new unit. I have a feeling it's a problem with the pickup window.

Glad to hear it sounds like your issues are sorted though, thanks for responding back! B)

Post edited by: savedrider, at: 2006/07/06 19:33
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Please help me time my Dyna S... 07 Jul 2006 06:56 #59884

• stever
  • User
Hi roland,
Thanks for the comments re my Bike I spent all winter rebuilding it the rear mudguard eliminaor is home made out of a bit of scrap alloy, if you like I will try and take a pic/ post dimensions.

I am not sure how another rotor will help. If your problem is the same as mine cos the rotor only has one pic up.

Time 1/4 using a bulb or multimeter, one side to earth 1 side to the coil wire as per dyna instructions. Use a mark on the advance unit in the region of the 1/4 marks that still gives plenty of adjustment on the back plate.
Then try ant time 2/3 to the same mark on the 2/3 advance marks. If you cant do it then like me you can not get it to fire 180degrees apart and its the modules that are faulty.

I hope this is clear its quite hard to explain it in words. Good Luck
Attachments:

Please help me time my Dyna S... 08 Jul 2006 11:28 #60227

• User
  • Thank you received: 3
Man that bike is in some sweet shape....

Please help me time my Dyna S... 08 Jul 2006 15:54 #60287

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Got the zuki rotor today and restested. Same old story. I think I get what you are saying now stever. The modules are not 180 apart and no amount of adjusting will get me there.

I will be calling Dyna on Monday morning and see if they will get me yet another ignition. So much for set it and forget it. :whistle:

Please help me time my Dyna S... 08 Jul 2006 17:05 #60294

• modprod
  • User
This is the same old advancer problem. The springs are shot allowing the advancer to advance at idle. Then when you try to set it to the F mark with a timing light and it is already advanced, it appears you don't have enough adjustment. When you get a "good" advance unit (preferably 76) that has a full advance mark time it to the full advance mark. When you time at full advance this is where you are running your bike 99% of the time anyway and where the timing needs to be on for proper riding. The F mark only helps at start-up and anywhere between 5-20 degrees will be fine for that Dyna does know about the problem of advancers pre-advancing and that is why they will recomend timing to full advance. The first thing many people will do is start jacking around the individual pickups (big mistake) and ends up making you have to spend much more than is required to time this unit. The older advance units (pre 76) are very well known to have this problem as well as bending their stops and over advancing. (pre 76) is well known for doing this too. Put in a "good" 76 style advancer and time using the "full advance mark" and don't worry about the F mark being on at idle and you will be a happy camper....mod

Please help me time my Dyna S... 08 Jul 2006 17:05 #60295

• modprod
  • User
It may take you alittle time to get the pickups back to where they started but there is enough room provided with a good advance unit.

Post edited by: modprod, at: 2006/07/08 20:11

Please help me time my Dyna S... 08 Jul 2006 19:51 #60322

• wireman
  • Visitor
stever wrote:

Savedrider,

I have received the new Dyna ignition from Jeff at z1 enterprises.

I have to say how impressed I am with how helpfull Jeff has been both in E mailing me advice and in sending out a replacement so quickly. Unlike Dyna them selves who failed to respond until I had sent them 4 e- Mails and then just sent a copy of the instructions that I already had!

Any way I fitted the new unit and had the same problem but not quite as bad, this time by setting both modules as low as possible I managed to get it timed spot on.
I timed it statically then checked it with a strobe and it was bang on, I have not had a chance to ride it yet but it starts straight away no problem. I tryed it with both rotors I had but they made no difference, the problem was definatly with the pick ups.
I am getting the bike dynoed next week to get the carbs set up so I will get them to check the timing to make sure I have not been doing any thing stupid.

How are you getting on with yours?

yeah that is a nice looking ol z!B)

Please help me time my Dyna S... 08 Jul 2006 21:41 #60346

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
modprod - thanks for the input, however I still don't think that's my problem.

Even timing it statically with a test light I cannot get the 1/4 and 2/3 modules to align. In other words even with adjustment room on the backplate the 2/3 side will always be 5 degrees or more advanced than 1/4. That's as close as I can get it.

I've tried timing at full advance and have no luck there either. On my first unit last winter the install took 10 minutes, no problems at all. Somethings not right.

Post edited by: savedrider, at: 2006/07/09 00:42

Please help me time my Dyna S... 09 Jul 2006 08:28 #60453

• stever
  • User
modprod,

No its not the same old problem with advance mechanism,
It is nothing at all to do with the advance mechanism or the rotor .
It is all to do with the fact that its not possible to position the two pick ups on the back plate so that they will fire 180 degrees apart.
My unit was definatly faulty as proved by the fact that with a new one I was able to time it up in 10 minutes flat statically and dynamically. Just outy of interest I tryed it with the new and original rotor as I thought this made no difference.
I am sure with a new back plate you will manage, do let us know how you get on, and good luck with Dyna who whose customer service levels appear to be pathetic.
I was very glad I bought mine from Z1 enterprises as Jeff was so helpfull!

Please help me time my Dyna S... 10 Jul 2006 18:28 #60894

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
I called Dyna again today and explained to them how I think that the modules are not 180 degrees apart.

I kinda got the run around that they have never seen this issue, etc. I stopped short of asking them to replace it under warranty as I was getting the feeling they were placing the blame on my bike or installation. They will however allow me to bring it in and they will index/calibrate it for me to sync the modules 180 apart. I'm hoping that when they do this they will also find they can't be sync'd and give me another unit. They said they can do it real quick while I wait so I guess it's worth a shot. This is really starting to suck!!! :(

Please help me time my Dyna S... 11 Jul 2006 12:25 #61137

• Speedbump
  • User
Oh yeah???

Well they cant even send my unit back to me as they have "no modules"

Dyna is starting to look like a real joke.

Anybody want to go into business with me and develop a better system for KZ's......should be pretty easy

Speed

Post edited by: Speedbump, at: 2006/07/11 15:25