Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 01 Mar 2009 09:19 #268925

• 1BadGreenKZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
xxx
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 01 Mar 2009 09:25 #268926

• 1BadGreenKZ
  • User
xxx
Attachments:

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 01 Mar 2009 20:46 #269121

• loudhvx
  • loudhvx's Avatar Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Nice looking bike. I love the green, it looks tough.

On the solenoid, I would guess the red/yellow and green/red might be able to be swapped so either way should work. If you want to be sure, put an ohmeter on the wires and make sure there is no connection from red/yellow to either of the big lugs or the body of the solenoid. Do the same for the green/red.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 06 Mar 2009 15:24 #270078

• 1BadGreenKZ
  • User
well brother man....i followed your diagrahms and the 'Ole Kawi is up a running..I made it to Bike Week and everything seems to be working fine...a BIG T H A N K - Y O U ! !..I couldn't do it without your help....I concur with some other postings...YOU"RE THE MAN !!

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 07 Mar 2009 08:47 #270213

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Excellent! Glad it's running! :)

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 07 Mar 2009 09:50 #270218

• timebomb33
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
i have to say this loudhvx what you have is a gift, for most people electricity[ignitions, charging ,lighting systems] is a black art. to try to get someone to read a factory wiring diagram is for most people almost as bad as trying to read chinese,not gonna happen . the problem i have found trying to teach electrical to students is this they can not taste it, smell it, see it or feel it unless they do something wrong. so to the average person the whole concept of electricity is some thing that is very abstract. what i have seen with the way you do up your diagrams is that you use a very comman sense approach to it and it makes it easy for the average person to if not figure it out completely, at least achive the goal of making there bike run again. you have done a fine thing sir
1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 10 Mar 2009 04:39 #270866

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Thanks a lot Timebomb! That's a major compliment. I really appreciate it. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gabe42

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 23 Mar 2009 01:44 #274464

• snerff
  • User
I have to agree with that, if it was not for loudvox I would still have a pile of metal and parts.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 25 Jul 2009 01:35 #309204

• snerff
  • User
Hi, again loudhvx. The vehicle is finally finished. The only problem that came up was changing the original coils with green Dyna coils for the Dyna S. system. 1 and 4 were not firing. I put the 1 and 4 original back and they fired. Could the new Dyna be bad out of the box? Very frustrating. Not sure how to test the new Dyna coil to see if it is really bad before trying to send it back.
Hope you can help again. So close too. I also switched them and still bad. I finally put the original coils back and everything was ok. Also the bad coil got hot even with the engine not running. I also noticed the old coils had a fat blue spark while the Dyna was just mild orange.

Last edit: by snerff. Reason: more info

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 26 Jul 2009 14:29 #309425

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
snerff wrote:

Hi, again loudhvx. The vehicle is finally finished. The only problem that came up was changing the original coils with green Dyna coils for the Dyna S. system. 1 and 4 were not firing. I put the 1 and 4 original back and they fired. Could the new Dyna be bad out of the box? Very frustrating. Not sure how to test the new Dyna coil to see if it is really bad before trying to send it back.

Well, you did just about the best test there is. The old one worked, the new did not. The only other possibility, and it's very common with the Dyna coils, is that you may have shorted out the wiring to the frame. I've seen this a few times. Make sure the wires and terminals at the coil have at least 2 or 3 mm of clearance in every direction. With less clearance, vibration can make the coils move just enough to short out. This type of shorting won't harm the coil, but can melt wires or blow fuses.

snerff wrote:

Hope you can help again. So close too. I also switched them and still bad. I finally put the original coils back and everything was ok. Also the bad coil got hot even with the engine not running. I also noticed the old coils had a fat blue spark while the Dyna was just mild orange.

Are the old coils the stock 4-ohm coils? The fatter spark is a mystery then.

If the old coils are 2.5-ohm electronic ignition coils, they have less resistance, so may put out a bit more spark, but risk the chance of burning out the Dyna S.

Wait, which Dyna coils did you get?

It is normal for the coils to get hot if the ignition is on and not running. It can melt your coils, so you should avoid that. Unfortunately, that is one of the drawbacks with the Dyna S.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 26 Jul 2009 14:34 #309427

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Oh, and you don't have a video of that thing do ya? I'd love to see it run. :)

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 27 Jul 2009 00:47 #309533

• snerff
  • User
The Dyna coils are the green ones, 3 ohms I think. The old coils came with the bike and a Dyna S had been added in place of points. It runs well with the old coils, just seems to brake down slightly at high speed. As for the coil heat. the coil that is not working is the one getting hot. The working one feels just warm. Z1 did not want to cover the warranty, they said I have to deal with Dyna. Geeze, only had them one day. Hopefully they will honer it and do something or I,m stuck for $146.00.
I do plan to take pictures by this weekend and videos maybe in August after I can get this coil thing fixed.
Thanks again for all your help.